Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unusual memorial service

Keel M.

This is a bit of the weird from my own backyard, so to speak. A woman who died on April 14th has a memorial service at the newly renovated and reopened Saenger Theatre and is in attendance, but not in the typical manner. I wish I could say this is the first time such things have happened here, but it's not...

It was not a typical memorial service, to say the least. A celebration of the life of Mickey Easterling, a New Orleans philanthropist and party giver who died April 14, was held at the Saenger Theatre Tuesday evening.

The arrangements included a display of Ms. Easterling's body, sitting on a wrought-iron bench, with a Champagne glass in one hand and a cigarette holder in another.

"She loved the limelight. She loved the attention," her daughter, Nanci Myke Easterling, told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune last week. "She was flamboyant. She had flair. She was outrageous."

Full story (with pics!!!!)

Edited by Child of Bast

Those New Orleans people are wild.. They celebrate all life long, so why not go out with a bang?

I think I'll let them hold my funeral; I want 'Carry on my Wayward Son' by Kansas playing.

• Like 1

Being dead is not an excuse to miss out your daily Mardi Gras experience.

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:
  • Like 1

Sorry but I don't like that. Seeing her sitting there, too me it's macabre

• Like 2

Our crazy shows ALL over.

But that's what I like about ya'll. :lol:

• Like 1

Sorry but I don't like that. Seeing her sitting there, too me it's macabre

I work at the Saenger Theatre part time and have half a mind to write to my boss and ask if the place has been ghostbusted. :P

But that's what I like about ya'll. :lol:

You so silly.

I tried, I mean..I really tried to see something nice about this but it just seems a bit gross. But to each his.her own.

To dress up a corpse for everyone to view as part of some weird funeral request just seems disrespectful, I certainly do not want to have my last memories of one of my family members or friends to be one of their dead, embalmed and lifeless body propped up and put on display as if it was a part of some "quaint" lego scene.

It is just as bad as having ones pet stuffed and put out on permanent display, I don't want that to be a reminder of what I lost and with this dead person being posed like that..it just doesn't look natural and is kind of frightening memory to have of ones family member.

I just cannot force myself to see this in a positive light...it's gory and it is almost like a slap in the face.

But..whatever. If it makes the family happy then fine.

• Like 2

It is what it is Ryu. I shared it because it's bizarre and weird and local to me.

• Like 1

This creeps me out but I guess you have to live there to understand it all. Will hope to visit N.O. One day.