Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Palestinian Political Puzzle

RoofGardener

A very strange news story emerging from the Land of Moan.

It appears that Fatah and HAMAS have been in peace talks, and may unify in time for the current round of elections to the Palestinian National Authority. This raises the prospect of HAMAS members being elected to the Parliament.

As the charter of HAMAS calls for the destruction of Israel, this has massive repercussions.

1) The current peace process stops immediately, as Israel will not negotiate with a group that refuses to recognise the existence of Israel

2) International Aide to the Palestinian Authority - especially American and European aid - stops, as HAMAS is considered a terrorist organisation by the USA and Europe, and they cannot give aide money to an officially nominated terrorist group. Without this money, it is difficult to see how the Palestinian National Authority can continue to exist.

So what is the Palestinian Authority up to ?

A very strange news story emerging from the Land of Moan.

It appears that Fatah and HAMAS have been in peace talks, and may unify in time for the current round of elections to the Palestinian National Authority. This raises the prospect of HAMAS members being elected to the Parliament.

As the charter of HAMAS calls for the destruction of Israel, this has massive repercussions.

1) The current peace process stops immediately, as Israel will not negotiate with a group that refuses to recognise the existence of Israel

2) International Aide to the Palestinian Authority - especially American and European aid - stops, as HAMAS is considered a terrorist organisation by the USA and Europe, and they cannot give aide money to an officially nominated terrorist group. Without this money, it is difficult to see how the Palestinian National Authority can continue to exist.

So what is the Palestinian Authority up to ?

I admit to being cynical but it just seems another repeat of the pattern begun by Arafat. Press for concessions, get what you can (from western governments) then balk over anything and start shooting again. This time they have much more to lose though. It's also possible that what passes for a top level brain trust in Abbas' corner feel that since the Russians are punking Obama they should give it a throw as well...who knows? Maybe he'll unilaterally decide what land they can have.

This is something like the third or fourth "agreement" that has apparently been reached within the last five years. Call me when the Islamists finally give up control of the Sharia state in Gaza.

One reason they could be doing this is out of the fear of loss of power in Palestine.

Is there another group that is inclined towards either overt war or peace that's gaining ground in Palestine? If there is, then you can bet that the entrenched powers would be racing to not lose their power.

One reason they could be doing this is out of the fear of loss of power in Palestine.

Is there another group that is inclined towards either overt war or peace that's gaining ground in Palestine? If there is, then you can bet that the entrenched powers would be racing to not lose their power.

There are some new Islamic radical groups that have been muscling in but I thought they were strictly small time - Iranian backed (I think) but still not very influential yet.

Likud refuses to recognize the existence of the Palestinian state. What the stuff is the difference? The criticism of Hamas for this reason alone is Zionist hypocrisy, complaining about something out of one side of their mouths and willfully doing it out the other.

• Like 1

Likud refuses to recognize the existence of the Palestinian state. What the stuff is the difference? The criticism of Hamas for this reason alone is Zionist hypocrisy, complaining about something out of one side of their mouths and willfully doing it out the other.

I agree provisionally. If Bibi is going to make that stand then his party has to lead the way. BUT... I don't recall Likud having a charter that calls for the elimination of the Palestinian people. Or am I incorrect on that? Hamas does. I'm not sure it so easy to equate the two. If Hamas dropped that portion of their charter and Likud dropped their refusal to recognize then progress might be made. It's noteworthy that today Abbas claimed that HE would lead the new unity government with Hamas and that Hamas would accept his negotiation stances. IOW Hamas will agree to peace if it is made. It might be just a chess move to slam Israel in the world opinion for (justifiably) doubting Hamas' sincerity OR possibly Hamas leadership realize the futility of inaction on progress for peace. Time will tell who is serious.

Their charter calls for exactly that. No Palestinian state west of the Jordan river means the elimination of the Palestinian people. The exact same damned thing you complain about incessantly. But it's okay when yours do it, we get it. Two sides, identical in position, with one side the tyrant doing all of the oppressing.

Their charter calls for exactly that. No Palestinian state west of the Jordan river means the elimination of the Palestinian people. The exact same damned thing you complain about incessantly. But it's okay when yours do it, we get it. Two sides, identical in position, with one side the tyrant doing all of the oppressing.

Hyperbole Yam. The Palestinian people are not their land or their state. If that were the case then they would currently not exist. Hamas on the other hand wants the Jews of Israel annihilated. Killed, gone, to exist no more. Likud says nothing comparable. They simply will not accept a state completely dedicated to the destruction of them, their children and their way of life. Anyone who would ask them to is foolish in the extreme.
  • Like 1

Some of Likud's positions make me uncomfortable, and if I was an Israeli, I probably wouldn't vote for them. However, it is worth noting that Likud has changed its position. Benjamin Netanyahu (Likud's leader) stated provisional support for a Palestinian Nation five years ago.

"If we get a guarantee of demilitarisation and if the Palestinians recognise Israel as the Jewish state, we are ready to agree to a real peace agreement".

FATAH leader (and current PA president) Mahmoud Abbas is widely quoted as stating that the Fatah-Hamas agreement will assist in moving towards a two-state solution, which is encouraging to hear.

However, HAMAS has been somewhat more cagey on the issue. I've found ONE statement, published by The Wire quoting HAMAS leader Khaled Meshal as supporting the two-state solution (implying the continued existence of Israel). However, he did so with preconditions that would be completely unacceptable to Israel, including an absolute "right of return" of "Palestinians" to "return" to Israel, and Jerusalem becoming an exclusive Palestinian capital. At no point did he include recognition of Israel as a Jewish State (indeed, he deliberately refused to answer when asked that question).

Compare Likuds open statement with Khaled's guarded and pre-condition-laden statement, and.. well... excuse me if I'm not filled with confidence about HAMAS's intentions.

Hamas leader

• Like 2

Hyperbole Yam. The Palestinian people are not their land or their state. If that were the case then they would currently not exist. Hamas on the other hand wants the Jews of Israel annihilated. Killed, gone, to exist no more. Likud says nothing comparable. They simply will not accept a state completely dedicated to the destruction of them, their children and their way of life. Anyone who would ask them to is foolish in the extreme.

There isn't any difference in their charters, and yet you blab to no end about Hamas's.

I took the time to review the Hamas charter. You should also before saying it's no worse than... lending even tacit support to such a document is shameful Yam. It is NOTHING like the charter for Likud. Likud is nationalistic/Zionist but is not a hate fest.

• Like 1

Projecting your sins onto me again how quaint. I don't support either charter. You support Likud's along with their accompanying policy of territorial theft and terrorism.

Projecting your sins onto me again how quaint. I don't support either charter.

You havn't READ either charter, have you Yamoto ? :P

• Like 2