Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery radio burst picked up by observatory

UM-Bot

A distant, enigmatic burst of radio waves has been detected by Puerto Rico's Arecibo Observatory.

Only a small handful of such bursts have ever been detected and up until recently all of them had been picked up by a telescope in Australia, leading some astronomers to doubt whether they are even coming from deep space at all.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-by-observatory

• Like 2

i suppose it would be too much to hope this could be another 'WOW' signal? perhaps a 'gosh' signal, or a 'hmmm' signal, perhaps.

• Like 4

Hopefully one of these bursts will finally bear fruit, for all our sake.

• Like 1

I think we need all the help we can get. Let's listen. . .

• Like 1

A distant, enigmatic burst of radio waves has been detected by Puerto Rico's Arecibo Observatory.

WOW 2.0 please.

We are living in exciting times, don`t we?

• Like 1

They have confirmed "lift off" and will be with us in 5000 years.

• Like 2

Can we please avoid using this thread to make personal attacks against other members, particularly when the member in question has not even contributed to the thread.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I think it could be electronic ghosting either within or without the telescope.

If it is a signal from a distant star system, just think of the light years it took to get here.

Dinosaurs could have been roaming the earth when it was sent.

• Like 2

It's the worst thing. Imagine getting a real distinguishable message, knowing intelligent life was out there but not ever getting any closer to knowing more cos they're like billions of light yrs away. Damn you space!

• Like 3

I'm not sure even an advanced technological society could generate enough energy to send a radio signal billions of light years across the universe. On the other hand, perhaps they could somehow modulate a naturally occurring energy burst to send a message.

A message lasting only a fraction of a second may be an efficient method. A longer message may become garbled crossing long distances. Just saying.

If you read the original story from National Geographic, and have time to read all the links from that, you get a more thorough idea of this phenomenon.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2014/04/20/mysterious-energetic-radio-burst/

This is very exciting news. At the same time trivial to me personally. I have seen several craft that are not from earth. I hope everyone that wishes to know the truth gets the same chances I have been given.

I always wondered if there was an extra galaxy in our universe, one that is beyond visible range and isn't detectable through visible light. This could suggest our universe has multiple big bangs, one with anti-matter that is predominate and another with matter that is predominate. These two universes are on a collision course, meaning sooner or later the universe is going to be a chaotic place. Or there is two matter galaxies heading for each other, they are going to clash and the universe is going to become more dense universe. Two possibilities that can't be ruled out of existence because this is a possible outcome of the universe. Of course this theory has less support than an singular big bang...

Very cool, I hope they pick up more radio waves.i bet its the ETs messing with us lol

I always wondered if there was an extra galaxy in our universe, one that is beyond visible range and isn't detectable through visible light. This could suggest our universe has multiple big bangs, one with anti-matter that is predominate and another with matter that is predominate. These two universes are on a collision course, meaning sooner or later the universe is going to be a chaotic place. Or there is two matter galaxies heading for each other, they are going to clash and the universe is going to become more dense universe. Two possibilities that can't be ruled out of existence because this is a possible outcome of the universe. Of course this theory has less support than an singular big bang...

I think you have your terms confused. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies in our universe.

Amazing news, if it can be confirmed it is from intelligent life it will be one of the most outstanding discoveries ever.

I think you have your terms confused. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies in our universe.

That's what I was going to say. There's quite a jumble of ideas and terms there.

A good chunk of space observation isn't done in visible light, but using other forms like infra red or radio.

And yes, there are more galaxies and more stars in the universe than sand on the beach, even with me taking it home with me in my shorts.

Even if two galaxies were to collide, which ours will one day with the larger Adromeda galaxy billions of years from now, the over all density of the universe will remain constant.

And, if my understanding of the multi verse hypothesis is near to correct, the idea of universes slamming into each other is nonsense.

While the universe is expanding, and if we take for granted physics operates the same in one of these other universes, space and time exist only inside of the universes themselves.

Outside of the universe, there is no space for them to interact in.

Of course, this is if this humble fool's recollection is correct.

As for the op, I won't hold my breath. It will likely be a space fart of some kind.

I'm not sure even an advanced technological society could generate enough energy to send a radio signal billions of

light years across the universe.

That`s a common argument but it is based on your own experience here on earth. I would say that advanced ET

civilisations may have reached a status where energy isn`t a problem at all based on the technologies available.

That`s a common argument but it is based on your own experience here on earth. I would say that advanced ET

civilisations may have reached a status where energy isn`t a problem at all based on the technologies available.

You could, but it wouldn't have much grounding. Speculation is speculation.

That said, it is possible even today to send a powerful and highly focused signal in the form of a beam of light. It's be recognized for what it is by it's energy signature, and origin.

In fact, it's so simple to do, it's a wonder we haven't seen one.

You could, but it wouldn't have much grounding. Speculation is speculation.

My speculation is based on the values we have on earth (approx kw values), 800k years ago/campfire 3kw, 200y ago/cole-burning

stove 12kw, 1950s/nuclear plant 5Mw, 2003/nuclear plant 1.500Mw, 2070/?Mw, 4870/?Mw, 25.874/?Mw, ......

• Like 1

The impulses are ~ 3 milliseconds in length. A radio source can't emit impulses shorter than light takes to cross its diameter. That gives us a maximum size for the source of about 1000 kilometers.

The first of this class of impulses, called Fast Radio Bursts, was received in 2007. The emission was of such a strength that, at the calculated distance of ~ 3 billion light years, it must be about 4500 times more powerful than the massive black hole structure at the center of our galaxy. A remarkable amount of energy pouring out of a very small space, relatively speaking.

The broad banded nature of the impulses has invited comparisons to natural astrophysical processes, rather than intelligent signals. Of course a very data-rich radio signal must be very broad banded, too.

• Like 2

Radio signals/waves as per all electromagnetic radiation, visible light included, can be bent, magnified and redirected by things such as gravity and other electromagnetic sources. Maybe this radio signal or radio burst is being amplified by another object such as a galaxy or black hole? Is it possible to detect the source or the direction from where it came?

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27118405

• Like 1

Radio signals/waves as per all electromagnetic radiation, visible light included, can be bent, magnified and redirected by things such as gravity and other electromagnetic sources. Maybe this radio signal or radio burst is being amplified by another object such as a galaxy or black hole? Is it possible to detect the source or the direction from where it came?

http://www.bbc.com/n...onment-27118405

Should be. We can tell the direction in space it's coming from and factor in bodies with enough mass to focus the signal through lensing or something.