Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dogs really do love their owners, study shows

UM-Bot

New research suggests that the love of a pet towards its owner is more than just a way to elicit food.

While domesticated pets can often appear to be expressing their affections for you, some animal behaviorists have argued that such displays are based more on survival instincts than on the emotions of love or friendship as we understand them.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ers-study-shows

Duh...I could have told them that! A dog will give it's life for it's owner...that's more than just a 'meal ticket' mentality.

• Like 8

I know my dog loves me. She treats me with more affection than my partner and we both feed her. She will run back into bedroom if im still in bed and will ignore my partner. If hes still in bed and im up she will stay with me.

• Like 2

The idea that animals don't have the same feelings as we do is slowly dieing. Science is starting to catch up with what some of us have always known.

• Like 5

The belief that humans are somehow fundamentally 'different' from any other animal species on the planet has been ingrained into our cultural mythology by thousands of years of religious thinking. All I can say, with some irony, is "Thank God we are finally coming to realise we are just another species of animal."

• Like 4

I have four dogs and I really can't imagine life without them.

I once had the most good, lady like, and loving dog. She was very intelligent unlike the two we have now. One is smart loving for a male and seemingly has no interest for food but is so devious and cunning to irritate the older dog who's only thought is love of food and who ever holds it and how to steal it. LOL

I didn't know the extent of her real love for me until my husband had an empty gun and was showing me a tactical manuver as I sat on the couch. My dog knew what a gun was because she saw him shoot a raccoon that was heading to attack her, a mean coyote and a destructive groundhog. She thought he was serious as he pointed the gun at me. She ran into my lap shaking and sat up as to say , you have to shoot me first to get mommy! She was petrified but even showed her teeth as she whippered then he dropped the gun laughing and came toward us. He told her he was just teasing and babied her and only after kissed me she begain to believe him. She was so happy and ran in circles that he wasn't serious. That was the cutest thing I ever saw and I didn't know she was so brave until then.

Animals are much like people they can feel devoted love or only have a selfish sort of love. Just like people it depends on their personality.

• Like 2

Their love is beyond evolution. It is in their gene, genetically implemented.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

Duh...I could have told them that! A dog will give it's life for it's owner...that's more than just a 'meal ticket' mentality.

Exactly...its obvious to all dog owners...or atleast I hope it is.

The preceeding report was brought to you by the International Institute for Obvious Studies.

• Like 4

Needless to say this is not groundbreaking research to all of us dog owners :tu:

• Like 3

I'm not sure what a dog experiences is the same as what a person experiences in a situation of similar dependency. In humans love is puzzling; in dogs it is closely related to who provides the food.

My dogs exhibit almost off-putting loyalty and happiness and submissiveness (although rules do get tested every now and then).

My cats are different and clearly more selfish but they still if they are well treated respond (in a more dignified way) with what I would call deep affection.

I know mine loves me as long as I rub her, feed her, let her out to run when she wants and take her for car rides. She's a rescue dog, so she's a bit more clingy than othe dogs my wife and have had. She a good dog.

Not surprised at all. Tis common sense in my opinion. All the more reason for me to get a Pug or French Bulldog.

This scientific finding has been known to all dog/cat/horse/ whatever guardian since the beginning of time.

Thanks for the confirmation! LOL :)

• Like 2

Of course! Dogs and humans have been friends for thousands of years.

The researchers spend too long in bed! :whistle:

Of course! Dogs and humans have been friends for thousands of years.

The researchers spend too long in bed! :whistle:

As they always do.

Those people never own dogs or what?

As if nobody knows. Pets know jealousy too.

Edited by woopypooky

Our pets are sentient beings, meaning that they "experience" their lives much as we do, through sensations and emotions and even opinions and thoughts. Where sentience comes from is unknown and materialist approaches do not seem to succeed very well, although I offer no theory of my own either.

• Like 2

Surely anyone who has a pet already knows this, my dog goes mad exited when I come from work, he jumps up for a hug and a belly rub, I know it's not because he associates me with food because my wife always feeds him not me, I love him and he loves me

• Like 1

Our animals give us one thing that we fail to give each other as Humans: They give us unconditional love. They do not judge us based on our appearance. They do not expect from us more than we can give them. They remind us what true love is and they help us to grieve.

Science explains how animals 'evolved'. Which of course one can take that as they will. But for me, our animals are the truest gift of Divinity as they are a constant reminder of what it is to -be- Human. And to be Human is to have the need to feel loved and to be accepted for what we are, without that humanity is a folly.

So, the next time you are cuddle-molesting your fur-child, tell them 'Thank you' for enriching in your life.

Kind Regards:)

:tsu:

• Like 1