Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

UK science to get £200m polar ship

4 posts in this topic

UK science is to get one of the biggest, most capable polar research vessels in the world.

The £200m investment in an icebreaker was announced by Chancellor George Osborne in a speech in Cambridge.

The ship is likely to be 130m long and sport a helipad, cranes, onboard labs, and have the ability to deploy subs and other ocean survey and sampling gear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-27129690

Built in korea or China, I suppose.

Built in korea or China, I suppose.

The Koreans are the world leaders in shipbuilding at the moment, so that is a good guess.

I don't know how many shipyards are left in the UK ?

In Denmark, where i live, we had two shipyards for large ships. Now we have none.

We still have the biggest shipping Company in the world, but they are buying Korean these days !

Posted (edited)

The Koreans are the world leaders in shipbuilding at the moment, so that is a good guess.

I don't know how many shipyards are left in the UK ?

In Denmark, where i live, we had two shipyards for large ships. Now we have none.

We still have the biggest shipping Company in the world, but they are buying Korean these days !

enough to build what we require for the Royal Navy and all the high-end skills that go with building complex ships/boats. when it comes to commercial shipbuilding we have the yards/docks skills and quality to build such ships but we cannot compete with South Korea on price.

The Royal Fleet Auxiliary - the replenishment ships for the Royal Navy owned by the MoD - placed a order with south Korean based Daewoo to build four new tankers -tide class. the ships research and development was done here in the UK. but the building will be done in South Korea. the cost £460million.

Edited by stevewinn