Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pa. judge sentenced to 28 years

aztek

Disgraced Pennsylvania judge Mark Ciavarella Jr has been sentenced to 28 years in prison for conspiring with private prisons to sentence juvenile offenders to maximum sentences for bribes and kickbacks which totaled millions of dollars. He was also ordered to pay $1.2 million in restitution.

In the private prison industry the more time an inmate spends in a facility, the more of a profit is reaped from the state.

Ciavearella's cases from 2003 - 2008 were reviewed by a special investigative panel and later by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and it was found that upwards of 5,000 young men and women were denied their constitutional rights, and therefore all of their convictions were dismissed and were summarily released.

more here http://www.examiner.com/article/pennsylvania-judge-sentenced-to-28-years-prison-for-selling-teens-to-prisons

• Like 5

Thank you, aztek. While I believe justice will ultimately be served,

the sooner the better. Such judges, those who are on the take,

deserve to switch places with those thus exploited by the prison

state.

2 days for each messed up life?

Somebody should appeal that sentence.

• Like 3

2 days for each messed up life?

Somebody should appeal that sentence.

yea, i agree, does not sound fair, but he most likely will die in jail. he is already over 60.

bigger question is, how many more to go?

Injustice is always hard to stomach, but when it comes from a person that is supposed to be the very embodiment of justice, it's like a kick in the gonads.

The sentence is fair, but the monetary figure is not. This POS judge and his family have benefitted from basically trading in human trafficking. He shouldn't be left with a dime.

And what of the prison system that allowed this all to take place? One head amongst many, this really better not be the only conviction and a review of the privatised prison systems throughout the USA really needs to be top priority - pronto.

I posted this thread some time ago - the writing was and is on the wall

Incarceration Nation

http://www.unexplain...on nation&st=0

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 2

What about the rest of them that are doing the same. I say we should do away with private prisons.

Yet some factions in the government would like to privatize more things. Don't think so, some things should remain in government hands.

• Like 2

What about the rest of them that are doing the same. I say we should do away with private prisons.

Yet some factions in the government would like to privatize more things. Don't think so, some things should remain in government hands.

Quite right the people's justice should belong to the people not corporate interests.

• Like 2

I agree with Ashotep. Is this just the tip of the iceberg? With 7B in profits how many other judges are selling out young offenders for a piece of the pie. Its kind of like the medical system where the people involved are customers and not criminals or patients.

It almost seems like there's not one aspect of our government or corporate entities that have not been totally corrupted.

• Like 1

I hope he lives every day of the rest of his life in fear, terror, misery and depression. That evil greedy 'man' has ruined so many peoples lives.

The private prison industry influenced our government to pass laws for harsher, tougher prison sentences (like the "Three Strikes and you're out" life sentence laws) and to try juvenile offenders as adults (as young as age 14). Overcrowding and high incarceration rates come from the "War on Drugs" while most people serving sentences are for relative minor drug offenses. It's time the federal government investigated private prison profiteering schemes.

........ and to try juvenile offenders as adults (as young as age 14).

that happens rarely, unfortunately, but for some crimes, like murder and rape, they absolutely should be tried as adults

• Like 1

that happens rarely, unfortunately, but for some crimes, like murder and rape, they absolutely should be tried as adults

Agreed. If you are old enough to do 'adult' crimes, you are old enough to be tried as one.

I'm not talking about trespassing or shoplifting, but there is ALOT of gun related thuggery that is perpetrated by 'juveniles'.

And people wonder why everyone else on this planet looks at America and shakes their heads (or in the case of the twits in government here in Australia tries to emulate them).

Who would have ever guessed a prison for profit system could ever become corrupt :whistle:

• Like 2

Who would have ever guessed a prison for profit system could ever become corrupt :whistle:

Yeh, leave it to the free market... it will cure all ailments.

Wow this sounds like a law and order I watched the judge kinda did the same thing sending teens to her friends prison

The root of the problem is that there are too many laws in this country. Why are some drugs illegal? Why is prostitution illegal? Why is gamboling illegal in most states? Why did Florida feel the need to pass a law banning texting while driving when we already have a law against careless driving?

Why does the solution always seem to be "pass another law" when the problem is that we have too many already?