Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA’s Next Prototype Spacesuit

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA’s Next Prototype Spacesuit has a Brand New Look, and it’s All Thanks to You.

With 233,431 votes, the "Technology" option has won NASA's Z-2 Spacesuit design challenge with just over 63% of the total vote. This design now will be incorporated into the final version of the suit, which is expected to be ready for testing by November 2014.

NASA's Z-2 suit is the newest prototype in its next-generation spacesuit platform, the Z-series. With the agency laser focused on a path to Mars, work to develop the technologies astronauts one day will use to live and work on Mars has already begun. Each iteration of the Z-series will advance new technologies that one day will be used in a suit worn by the first humans to step foot on the Red Planet.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

That suit is ugly.

• Like 1

That suit is ugly.

It's what the people voted for.

Besides I don't suppose the first astronaut on Mars will stop to wonder, "does my bum look big in this?" as they plant the first human foot print on the red planet.

• Like 4

Looks good and about time too! Lets just hope they have figured out the restrictive gloves issue

OH and helmets filling with water...not good!

That suit is ugly.

Space travel/exploration isn't about good looks. Safety and functionality would be prime concerns

• Like 2

Do they still need the MAGS or have they came up with something better ?

( Maximum Absorbancy Garmet )

Edited by mfrmboy

Yes!!! I VOTED FOR TECHNOLOGY SUIT! :clap:

Cheers x

• Like 1

Do they still need the MAGS or have they came up with something better ?

( Maximum Absorbancy Garmet )

I dont know - but glorified nappies would seem a useful thing in a spacesuit :lol: I mean its not like you can open your fly and take a leak is it?

• Like 1

Heres a vid

• Like 2

wonder if you will have the mars hoax groups like the moon hoax ones....

• Like 1

Wow, really? They probably should've got Marvel's costume designer to lend a hand. Shorts on the outside is akin to Superman though, I guess.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

It's what the people voted for.

Besides I don't suppose the first astronaut on Mars will stop to wonder, "does my bum look big in this?" as they plant the first human foot print on the red planet.

So I guess we have a new show "American Astronaut"? Reminds me of Buzz Lightyear, not Tron. I wonder if we run into a hostile ET, they'll take one look at the suit and drop their weapons becasue they will be laughing so hard.
  • Like 1

Wow, really? They probably should've got Marvel's costume designer to lend a hand. Shorts on the outside is akin to Superman though, I guess.

Superman nor Batman have trunks on the outside anymore. Jim Lee took care of that over two years ago.

wonder if you will have the mars hoax groups like the moon hoax ones....

Doubt it really, whoever goes first, ie: MarsOne or NASA, it will be hugely anticipated with worldwide coverage, Id say probably a bigger event than the moon landings

So I guess we have a new show "American Astronaut"? Reminds me of Buzz Lightyear, not Tron. I wonder if we run into a hostile ET, they'll take one look at the suit and drop their weapons becasue they will be laughing so hard.

I actually think the suit looks 'meaner' than the older ones, much better too!

That neutral buoyancy pool looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Is it just me, or are we going back in our space suit designs? This looks like something from a bad 70's space movie! The current suites look much cooler!

The current suites look much cooler!

Yes, because how "ccol" the suit looks is what determines how good it is.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

What the suit looks like is largely irrelevant, it is what protection it offers the astronauts, how reliable it is and how freely the astronauts can move when in these suits.

If you want to know how "cool" the current suits are ask Luca Parmitano. I'm sure he'll tell you that as the water leaked inside his helmet, as he wondered if he would drown before he could get back to the air lock, that the thought running through his mind was, "I may die here, but at least my suit looks cool".

• Like 2

That looks comical, like a space shell suit. I can see that Earth is going to be like the Eastern Europe of space fashion :P

Edited by Finity

i dont want to be an astronaut anymore

i dont want to be an astronaut anymore

You will not be missed, I´m sure.

To infinity and beyond!

Personally, I'd opt for the suit that's most likely to keep me alive...everyone else can go for the 'cool ones' if they so desire.

• Like 1