Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yet another 'thing' photo'd on Mars.

OK we know from past experience that these specks of light are usually camera artefacts, so posting this as 'another one'...tho this one is a night shot

The article linked to a source who said this

"This UFO would normally be invisible to the rover, but the suns angle highlights its edges as it sets. This object is clearly flying and looks like a disk tilted at 45 degrees. The line of the UFO (in red) is not lined up with the sun (blue), but actually aimed over and past it. Notice the angle of the blue line does not line up with the tilt of the UFO. This is proof that the object is not just a reflection or glare caused by the sun, but a flying object over Mars."

Ok well someones sounding sure of themselves :lol:

Full story

http://www.huffingto..._n_5237948.html

o-NASA-570.jpg?6

ETA, the NASA image link

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/proj/msl/redops/ods/surface/sol/00586/opgs/edr/ncam/NRB_449531881EDR_F0300820NCAM00551M_.JPG

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

My best friend told me not to listen to anything Huffington Post says.

The pictures are strange though.

• Like 1

My best friend told me not to listen to anything Huffington Post says.

The pictures are strange though.

They just repeated this source

http://www.ufosightingsdaily.com/2014/04/ufo-over-mars-caught-by-rover-april.html

Plus it is an actual NASA image. Typically posted by the folk who seem to love spending hours at a time looking at the Mars images, as they see things like lizards and and ducks in the rubble :lol:

OK we know from past experience that these specks of light are usually camera artefacts, so posting this as 'another one'...tho this one is a night shot

"This UFO would normally be invisible to the rover, but the suns angle highlights its edges as it sets. This object is clearly flying and looks like a disk tilted at 45 degrees. The line of the UFO (in red) is not lined up with the sun (blue), but actually aimed over and past it. Notice the angle of the blue line does not line up with the tilt of the UFO. This is proof that the object is not just a reflection or glare caused by the sun, but a flying object over Mars."

Ok well someones sounding sure of themselves :lol:

Full story

http://www.huffingto..._n_5237948.html

ETA, the NASA image link

http://mars.jpl.nasa...NCAM00551M_.JPG

It looks like a piece of dirt on the lens. To say that the object is clearly flying assumes that the object is close to Mars and not connected to the camera. It then says that this looks like a disc tilted at 45 degrees. What are they talking about? Suppose the object is a disc. Then how do they explain the off center bright spot? The apparent dimensions seen in the photo are not the same as those of a disc viewed at 45 degrees. They try to exclude glare or internal reflection in the camera system. Good. That's good. But, does the lack of alignment exclude dust on the lens? Does it exclude all forms of internal reflection? Does the photo show blurring due to motion? How is the backside of the object lit up by the sun? Does the pattern of illumination make sense with the Sun behind the object if it were a large flying object?

<snipped quoted article to save space>

o-NASA-570.jpg?6

ETA, the NASA image link

http://mars.jpl.nasa...NCAM00551M_.JPG

As you suspected, that's just another cosmic ray strike on the camera sensor. Take a look at the full set of right navcam images from sol 586 here: MSL Sol 586 Right Navcam

This image is one of 25 sunset images taken 12 seconds apart. If you scan through all of them, you'll see all sorts of bright and dark speckles that change from shot to shot. The shot shown above is the sixth image in the sequence, starting from the earliest of the images.

• Like 4

The UFO crowd forgot to mention these little facts: :rolleyes:

"One is that the object could just be a camera glitch. Another is that it's a glare from a meteor of other natural object, or possibly (though less feasibly) one of the several, real, non-Martian spacecraft we know are in orbit around the planet (IE ours)."

Gotta love the HP article title:

'Flying UFO' Photographed Over Mars (Or Maybe Not)

P.S. There isn't ANY blue in pics! :sk

Edited by scorpiosonic
  • Like 1

I don't trust those red lines, they seem to be plotting something.

• Like 5

I can't wait until they spot a 7/11 on Mars ending all of this speculation for good....

Edited by JVG
  • Like 4

I can't wait until they spot a 7/11 on Mars ending all of this speculation for good....

will a Mac D do?

mars.jpg

• Like 4

Man, when I read "thing" photographed on Mars I was secretly hoping for the alien from John Carpenter's "The Thing".

• Like 1

will a Mac D do?

mars.jpg

Just as good!! Now I am hungry...

• Like 1

Damn Martians playing to the camera again. Never could they resist a publicity opportunity.

Per and Ster have adequately covered this, I'm redundant here.. :D

But I will add that the red lines obviously mean that thing has a frickin laser on it's back!!! Dr Evil is somehow involved in this..

• Like 1