Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

UK's oldest town revealed

8 posts in this topic

Archaeologists at the University of Buckingham believe Amesbury, 40 miles from Stonehenge, is the oldest settlement in Britain not the previously thought Thatcham.

Researchers believe the town holds the distinction of being the birthplace of history in Britain.

They say the new findings dismiss previous theories that the Wiltshire town was conceived by European immigrants - instead, relics uncovered during a painstaking search point to British settlers being behind the settlement, which dates back to more than 10 millennia.

http://www.express.c...an-TEN-millenia

1 person likes this

Major problems with the article.

Firstly, it claims Thatcham was the oldest continously inhabitated settlement based on the Guinness Book of Records. Yet it has long been disputed by Abingdon (now Abingdon-on-Thames) which also had claims to such a title.

But, if the date of 8,820 BC is the date of continuous occupied town, then it blows both of them away. Since Abingdon was at least 4,000BC by way of a causeway (which was not discovered till 1991, a year after GBoR gave the claim to Thatcham and was not fully investigated by the time the award was given to Thatcham in 1993).

However, even the GBoR says it's extremely difficult to prove continuously occupied settlements.... Cause of the fact you can't tell if a period was ever broken or not.

Of course, carbon dating isn't completely accurate, but it's the best bet. The reason Abingdon and Thatcham are more 'reasonable' are because of buildings which were built at certain points of time only. Rather than dating bones of animals which could have increased the "age" when they were brought from other parts of the world.

Aliens.

If this is true, Stonehenge is more incredible.

Aliens.

Not a bad film, but I prefer Alien.

1 person likes this

So that's why they've never found the homes of the builders. They were right under their nose, alive and well, all this time.

1 person likes this

Pyramid of Giza is oldest cos built 20,000 yrs ago. fullstop.

Major problems with the article.

Firstly, it claims Thatcham was the oldest continously inhabitated settlement based on the Guinness Book of Records. Yet it has long been disputed by Abingdon (now Abingdon-on-Thames) which also had claims to such a title.

But, if the date of 8,820 BC is the date of continuous occupied town, then it blows both of them away. Since Abingdon was at least 4,000BC by way of a causeway (which was not discovered till 1991, a year after GBoR gave the claim to Thatcham and was not fully investigated by the time the award was given to Thatcham in 1993).

However, even the GBoR says it's extremely difficult to prove continuously occupied settlements.... Cause of the fact you can't tell if a period was ever broken or not.

Of course, carbon dating isn't completely accurate, but it's the best bet. The reason Abingdon and Thatcham are more 'reasonable' are because of buildings which were built at certain points of time only. Rather than dating bones of animals which could have increased the "age" when they were brought from other parts of the world.

I'm glad someone else mentioned this as whilst I was reading I was thinking exactly this about Abingdon's claim, and how it is not even close to being the oldest inhabited settlement anymore if this is indeed true, which seems completely reasonable given the nature and importance of Stonehenge to the earliest inhabitants of our little island.

Although the amount of money I spent on our house here in England last year I am starting to think my settlement is the oldest... :cry:

2 people like this