Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Discovery of the "Brown Genie"

Rectoplasm

I lived for years in an old early fifties cottage sized house that my family owned. All of the interior walls were nicely painted, except for the bedroom. Some numbnut tenant years before me had applied cheap interior paneling over the drywall and over the years it had been painted over several times and was now cracked in several areas. I was on a tight budget at the time so I just accepted the hideous painted paneled walls. As time marched forward, I lived there with various girlfriends and no one ever gave the walls much thought. finally I got around to doing some renovations with the help of my best friend in 2005 and the time finally came to tackle the hideous, cracked bedroom paneling. We had removed two walls of this stuff and and patched the existing drywall beneath when suddenly he had to leave for the day. He wanted badly to stay and finish the job with me and insisted that I wait until the weekend so that he could help me with it.

A couple days later, it was the middle of my work week and I was bored. So I sent my buddy an email (we are wierd - we usually text rather than talk on the phone) and being known for having an off the wall (no pun intended) imagination I said:

"I know I promised that I would wait, but I decided to go and ahead remove the paneling. As I removed it I discovered a rough triangular opening at the base of the wall. Within the opening I there sat a dusty brass oil lamp and when I rubbed it brown smoke emerged and a genie materialized covered with brown dust. She told me that I could have one wish! I was so shocked that I said "Get outta here! Really?" and with that she granted my wish and vanished! Dude, I blew it!" Why I thought of this stupid crap I have no idea.

Knowing me, he knew right then I was being a jackass and said that he would come over in a couple of days and we'd remove the paneling and finish up. So I decided to get off my butt and surprise him. I went right into the bedroom and began tearing away the paneling. When I pryed the last sheet loose I was shocked to see a rough triangular opening about seven inches high at the base of the wall ! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. As I pulled the panel away I could see something inside the opening. It was a small rubber doll around 5" or 6" high of a cartoon like little girl swinging a golf club and it was covered with a brown dusty film!

I couldn't believe it, it gave me chills. This time I actually called my buddy on the phone and told him what had just happened. He thought I was messing with him until he came over that weekend and saw the doll and the opening. Nothing strange ever came of the discovery, in fact, I now own a home and the doll sits on a window ledge in my home office. Was the whole thing coincidence? Maybe, but I personally don't believe in coincidence. I believe that I somehow picked up on that object being there. The universe is a strange and wonderful place. Now if I could just see the lottery numbers!

Thanks for listening everyone.

• Like 7

K that first part was really funny :yes:. As for the doll, maybe it was a child's room and hiding spot? As for the doll itself, not so funny :no: Just cause dolls in general creep me out! Glad you have the doll in place that suits you. I don't believe in coincidences either. The universe is indeed what you say. I have my days where sometimes I can't decide if it's more one or the other. Now get to work on those lotto numbers!

• Like 1

Welcome to UM!

Was the whole thing coincidence? Maybe, but I personally don't believe in coincidence. I believe that I somehow picked up on that object being there.

Think of it as probability. Eg. The most unlikely thing could happen three times in a row and we shouldn't think anything strange of it. For example, an extinction level event can be said to occur at a frequency in the millions of years. It is possible though, that three large asteroids could hit the Earth on the same day without prior detection. Highly unlikely, but possible.

Now getting to your story:

So I sent my buddy an email

- can you produce the email as proof?

Also

It was a small rubber doll around 5" or 6" high of a cartoon like little girl swinging a golf club and it was covered with a brown dusty film!

- can you show proof of the doll?

Not trying to be a pain - but we hear all kinds of claims here and most people need more than a story!

• Like 1

Hi Timothy,

Coincidence? Probability? what ever works for you.

99% of the posts related to personal experiences on a forum such as this have no proof. In fact, I have had many experiences that I will be sharing in which I had no camera, no recorder, no neurosurgeon monitoring my dreams. If you do not wish to believe what I say then treat my posts a sheer fiction. I have nothing to gain by deceiving people. Forums are a place to share knowledge, experiences, and opinions.

As for the original email from October of 2005? I don't have emails from last year! The only emails I retain are related to my job. Besides, reading my emails is no one's business!

As for the doll? Here she is, cleaned up of course:

IMG_1246-2_zpsa2d9b013.jpg

IMG_1246-3_zps1458e3b6.jpg

• Like 1

That doll is creepy... I don't know if it's haunted or possessed or whatever, but I would get rid of it just for looking creepy.. lol

Fun-fact: I heard once when I was a kid that tend be drawn to dolls because they see a human shape with no spirit in it and, so they try to use it as a vessel. They realize too late that it's not alive and they are now trapped in a synthetic doperganger..

Hmmm? That could explain the behavior of my ex-wife? LOL

Never heard that one, thanks for the info. The doll is just a doll in this case. I actually like it because it's like an artifact from a home now gone. It was demolished in 2008 and I had a lot of good memories and sad times there in that house. When I was gowing up, my parents rented that house to many families and most of them became good friends.

I swear I've seen that doll somewhere before. I think one of my grandparents must have had one as a yard decoration. They had a lot of tacky/weird stuff.

Really interesting story, thanks for sharing. I, for one, do believe in coincidences, but this one is downright bizarre.

As for the doll? Here she is, cleaned up of course:

Whoa that is one creepy doll haha! But I can't tell if it's meant to be a boy or a girl!

Shame you didn't keep that e-mail when it could have supported your story and supernatural powers, I know I would if something like that happened and I thought it was significant! :yes:

Interesting and entertaining nonetheless. I'll go with coincidence but each to their own!

(Not trying to have too much of a dig but I know you see where I'm coming from!)

Thanks for posting and replying and enjoy the forums!

Well, I don't really think about documenting things such as nearly getting broadsided in traffic or having a premonition that comes true to some extent. I don't think most of us do. But a lack of documentation doesn't mean that the experiences never happened to someone. Sometimes you have to just judge a person's character and take what they say with face value. I have noticed that many people post on this site and get shredded by criticism and skepticism. Sometimes it seems a bit excessive and almost abusive. But on the other hand, it can be healthy for the person who introduced the topic or story. The feedback may stimulate awareness of greater details or false memories. So, I welcome the critical thinkers for they are the glue that bonds the chaos. I enjoy this site and hope to contribute further.

I understand the sentimental value of the doll, but I would so smash it's creepy self.

• Like 3

I understand the sentimental value of the doll, but I would so smash it's creepy self.

ROFLMAO! That's what I thought when I finally saw the picture of it, but decided to just try to un-see it instead :lol::rofl: (Didn't work)

• Like 1

I lived for years in an old early fifties cottage sized house that my family owned. All of the interior walls were nicely painted, except for the bedroom. Some numbnut tenant years before me had applied cheap interior paneling over the drywall and over the years it had been painted over several times and was now cracked in several areas. I was on a tight budget at the time so I just accepted the hideous painted paneled walls. As time marched forward, I lived there with various girlfriends and no one ever gave the walls much thought. finally I got around to doing some renovations with the help of my best friend in 2005 and the time finally came to tackle the hideous, cracked bedroom paneling. We had removed two walls of this stuff and and patched the existing drywall beneath when suddenly he had to leave for the day. He wanted badly to stay and finish the job with me and insisted that I wait until the weekend so that he could help me with it.

A couple days later, it was the middle of my work week and I was bored. So I sent my buddy an email (we are wierd - we usually text rather than talk on the phone) and being known for having an off the wall (no pun intended) imagination I said:

"I know I promised that I would wait, but I decided to go and ahead remove the paneling. As I removed it I discovered a rough triangular opening at the base of the wall. Within the opening I there sat a dusty brass oil lamp and when I rubbed it brown smoke emerged and a genie materialized covered with brown dust. She told me that I could have one wish! I was so shocked that I said "Get outta here! Really?" and with that she granted my wish and vanished! Dude, I blew it!" Why I thought of this stupid crap I have no idea.

Knowing me, he knew right then I was being a jackass and said that he would come over in a couple of days and we'd remove the paneling and finish up. So I decided to get off my butt and surprise him. I went right into the bedroom and began tearing away the paneling. When I pryed the last sheet loose I was shocked to see a rough triangular opening about seven inches high at the base of the wall ! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. As I pulled the panel away I could see something inside the opening. It was a small rubber doll around 5" or 6" high of a cartoon like little girl swinging a golf club and it was covered with a brown dusty film!

I couldn't believe it, it gave me chills. This time I actually called my buddy on the phone and told him what had just happened. He thought I was messing with him until he came over that weekend and saw the doll and the opening. Nothing strange ever came of the discovery, in fact, I now own a home and the doll sits on a window ledge in my home office. Was the whole thing coincidence? Maybe, but I personally don't believe in coincidence. I believe that I somehow picked up on that object being there. The universe is a strange and wonderful place. Now if I could just see the lottery numbers!

Thanks for listening everyone.

is this for real lol omg a genie came out the lamp and told you have one wish -_- I wanna see the photo of this lamp

• 2 weeks later...

Great story funny how u found the doll its pretty cool just keep it..its not creepy at all it really old 50's I think.

Not surprised you found something.That sometimes happens with older homes where various people have lived in over the years. The figure looks lik its made of painted vinly or rubber or even what they call composition.From the lots of it, probably from the 1940s to about maybe the early 60s. Probably from the late 40s, to 1950s. Rather unique looking.

I have nothing to gain by deceiving people.

You'll have to forgive some of us if we're a bit cynical with some people's stories. The fact is that people regularly come here from time to time and tell stories that are clearly made up, so people will probe the stories and accounts and ask for further evidence. It's nothing personal.

As for you having "nothing to gain" by deceiving anyone, the same is true for everyone who tells tall tales on the Internet. We had someone here who claimed to have seen a dragon and found one of its scales but couldn't produce evidence because the photo was on someone else's camera and the scale was in the possession of their friend, and one of the tell-tale signs of a made up Internet story is being unable to provide photographic evidence when asked for it along with the usual excuses (it's on a friend's camera/I don't know how to upload photos to the Internet) so asking for photos is just trying to gauge the reliability of your account of your experience.

People come and go on these forums with all sorts of odd tales and the field of ghosts and the paranormal is so polluted with silly made up stories that people are naturally going to sound out people to see if their stories ring true.

Reminds me of a song from a cartoon: "I dream of genie, she's a light brown hare." - Bugs Bunny

• Like 1

It's a very interesting find OP.

That doll looks really old. Have you thought of taking it to an antiques expert?