Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare pine marten 'photo-bombs' red squirrel

Still Waters

Scientists behind a red squirrel monitoring project in County Fermanagh have been surprised after finding an even more elusive mammal has been 'photo-bombing' their research.

Pine martens have been spotted by cameras in the Fermanagh woodlands, more than red or grey squirrels.

The animal is considered to be Ireland's rarest native mammal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...reland-27204667

• Like 4

Leprechauds!? I thought we'd be looking at something squirrel-like, but they look more like small monkeys or mongooses, except very small eyes & no panda-eyes. Must be really quick and smart

Ummmmmm more pine martens does mean less squirls there pal. Pine martens eat squrils. Through my own research in Native American trapping I would create false traps ( as to not hurt the animal) but a sand trap going into it to record tracks. All of it is a primitive set up to practice trapping skills without hurting anything.

What have I discovered? Pine martens... And loads of them living in the sierras. I think they go unnoticed because they are nocturnal and very ninja like. I have spent my entire life roaming those mountains and I have never once actually seen one. This year I am building a more modern live trap. I want to get a look at one up close.

• Like 2

That wiki map shows that we should have them here in Finland too but I've not seen a single one, which isn't surprising, I'm too much a city-boy. But I've never heard any of my country cousins even mention these small animals, even though they've seen bears, squirrels, I think even wolves further north, and at least once lynx tracks or a live lynx, can't remember which one. Those are real sly cats but if something's more evasive than a lynx that's really something.

About the only way to see them is to trap them. I've wandered the forest a lot and never come across one. Although I have seen some that have been taxidemied. The fact that they're nocternal makes it more likely not to be seen.

They had some at a wildlife park I've been to.

An yet with millions of game cameras sold throughout the world and god knows how many other surveillance systems, we still can't get an equally clear photo of Bigfoot.

Pine martens are awesome by the way.

An yet with millions of game cameras sold throughout the world and god knows how many other surveillance systems, we still can't get an equally clear photo of Bigfoot.

Pine martens are awesome by the way.

That's because Bigfoot knows what a camara trap is. ;). He only shows up if your camara dosnt work very well and is kind of shaky. He learned that trick from his friends in the ufos.

That's because Bigfoot knows what a camara trap is. ;). He only shows up if your camara dosnt work very well and is kind of shaky. He learned that trick from his friends in the ufos.

Apparently.