Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cyber Attack Through Internet Explorer

susieice

Why do hackers have to make people's lives so miserable. Don't they have a life.

• Like 4

Not a big computer guy...I can build them and do some minor troubleshooting to get them running, but don't know much about code and such.

Not counting laptops and such, I have 3 puters...my CADD station (which is never online and never will be) that still runs win 2k pro

my old gaming puter which runs xp pro and my newest edition running windows 7.

I'm not going to be overly worried. I'm old and my life could go on just fine if we got slapped back to the 80's life when computers were much more rare and life did not depend on them. Hell I still remember "payphones" on the side of the rode and corded phones at home...I also remember "pagers and beepers"...

Problem will be that everyone has incorporated technology into their lives that most forget it is actually a convenience and not a total necessity to life.

If the grid were to go down or everyone's bank account were flushed out...the world would effectively explode into riots and chaos...and we'd get slapped back a lot further than the 80's....maybe the 1880's!

• Like 4

since they have stopped supporting XP I have a XP rig 24 hours a day on the internet downloading random pages (modified mozilla browser) and only protected by Clam-Win. So far it caught nothing and clam win has stopped around 100 pages as attack pages.

The problem was Explorer, not windows XP and all computers using explorer affected.

• Like 5

I also remember "pagers and beepers"...

God I hated those!

The problem was Explorer, not windows XP and all computers using explorer affected.

IE 6 and on up from what I heard.

• Like 1

I'm in Linux now but even when I used Windows, I never used Explorer. Our comps at work do though.

I have not been online with my XP/IE laptop since support ended.

I use it to play classic emulated games for now.

Edited by davros of skaro
  • Like 1

The problem has always been IE. What a worthless excuse for a browser... :no:

• Like 2

Well no one really used IE for personal use any more as it sucks. But at work that's what all our web based applications run on and guess what? Some of our computers are still on XP. Not good for businesses.

We were all told at work not to use IE anymore, but to use Chrome for internet search/sites. Probably for this very reason. We still use IE for tons of internal applications though. IT takes this kind of thing very seriously.

It was predicted a long time ago that GOV would use the threat of attacks on computers to clamp down on freedom over the internet. The real threat is individuals like me and you trading and exchanging ideas without regulations thus bringing a stop to corporate rule over resources and information. All part of the fraudulent war on terror. It's you - the empowered individual who threatens what they have created to control you.

That aside... it's poorly thought out planning to use a computerized system to store information that can be hacked into abroad in the first place. Same with placing assets and money into the same system. It begs criminal behavior. The GOV being the largest criminal there is. History proves this.

I trust banks the same as I trust my GOV. Total incompetence. They're not looking out for me, the individual. They regard the individual as a collective piece of cattle. The collective. What's best for all excludes what may not be in the best interest of others. But I roll along with it and make do pointing out the obvious.

Have you ever went to purchase gasoline or food and the bank machine wasn't accepting your card? Did you feel slightly embarrassed standing in line trying it over again punching in your secret password praying it will work? And feeling relieved once the guy behind you had his not function either? Then did you wish you had brought cash once the next person in line payed for theirs and went on there way? Yes. We all do.

There is little inconvenience in doing things the old way. The way that worked. Incorporating a digitalized system into each facet of our lives sets up a collective failure. On the other hand incorporating bits of a computerized system which protects the individual first is all that is required. Doctors records, bank deposits, offers on a business deal still can be processed at a fraction of speed without resorting to system totally relient on computerization. The old way worked fine. Speed of communication sped it up. Complete relience collectively will at some point not work as intended.

• Like 2

It was predicted a long time ago that GOV would use the threat of attacks on computers to clamp down on freedom over the internet. The real threat is individuals like me and you trading and exchanging ideas without regulations thus bringing a stop to corporate rule over resources and information. All part of the fraudulent war on terror. It's you - the empowered individual who threatens what they have created to control you.

That aside... it's poorly thought out planning to use a computerized system to store information that can be hacked into abroad in the first place. Same with placing assets and money into the same system. It begs criminal behavior. The GOV being the largest criminal there is. History proves this.

I trust banks the same as I trust my GOV. Total incompetence. They're not looking out for me, the individual. They regard the individual as a collective piece of cattle. The collective. What's best for all excludes what may not be in the best interest of others. But I roll along with it and make do pointing out the obvious.

Have you ever went to purchase gasoline or food and the bank machine wasn't accepting your card? Did you feel slightly embarrassed standing in line trying it over again punching in your secret password praying it will work? And feeling relieved once the guy behind you had his not function either? Then did you wish you had brought cash once the next person in line payed for theirs and went on there way? Yes. We all do.

There is little inconvenience in doing things the old way. The way that worked. Incorporating a digitalized system into each facet of our lives sets up a collective failure. On the other hand incorporating bits of a computerized system which protects the individual first is all that is required. Doctors records, bank deposits, offers on a business deal still can be processed at a fraction of speed without resorting to system totally relient on computerization. The old way worked fine. Speed of communication sped it up. Complete relience collectively will at some point not work as intended.

All cogs in the machine must be spinning in the same way, or else the machine won't work. We are part of the machine, the spinning cogs. The machine is there to work for those who operate it.

An exchange of ideas can make the cogs turn and the machine may not work or operate in a way the creators do not wish it to.

The introduction of digitised currency is mainly under the guise of providing convenience while really just trying to disconnect one from the reality of what they're really handing over. After all, would one think it was introduced solely in benefit to the consumer?

As for IE, it's actually not as bad as commonly accepted (the latest versions that is). It still maintains over 60%+ of the market share. It's improved a great deal since IE6.

I still use IE. Only because it's simple and easy to navigate.

My Finnish friend told me to delete it completely. She says that it's not safe and bunch of other stuff. :/ Honestly, I have nothing worth stealing on my computer.

• Like 1

I use it to play classic emulated games for now.

And what a fine way to use it if I may say so...

Don't go to any websites that you got a link to in a email from someone you don't know.

• Like 2

Don't go to any websites that you got a link to in a email from someone you don't know.

I always email back people (that I know) who send me links, because a lot of malware can get into a person's addressbook and mass send links to those people.

I always email back people (that I know) who send me links, because a lot of malware can get into a person's addressbook and mass send links to those people.

Years ago my hotmail account was being used as an email spammer. Although I couldn't think of how they could have possibly obtained my details. I think there are more breaches into email servers than we hear about.

I noticed I was getting heaps of emails about unsuccessful email sending. Microsoft froze y account and requested I changed the password. I did and it was all fine.

• Like 1

Yahoo notified me that there was unusual activity in my email too and I had to change my password. I don't open my email and seldom check it. When I do, I just delete unless I know someone specific is sending me something. Family contacts me through other means because they all know this. Too much garbage emails.

It isn't a new thing that IE is completely and utterly useless in terms of security (and everything else imo). I knew that IE was prone to threat going back 5 years. Either IT departments of companies that still use IE are completely useless or they really don't care so long as they get their paycheck. I'm just surprised that this is coming out now.

• Like 1

Years ago my hotmail account was being used as an email spammer. Although I couldn't think of how they could have possibly obtained my details. I think there are more breaches into email servers than we hear about.

I noticed I was getting heaps of emails about unsuccessful email sending. Microsoft froze y account and requested I changed the password. I did and it was all fine.

I had the same happen. I changed my password and was fine. What I always wonder is if all I had to do was change my password, then why didn't the spammer engine change my password and 'bot my account?

I believe email account hacking software just tries random account IDs wtih random passwords till they get something that works. If sounds pretty random, but given enough servers, and fast internet access, they probably can do thousands of guesses per minute.

It isn't a new thing that IE is completely and utterly useless in terms of security (and everything else imo). I knew that IE was prone to threat going back 5 years. Either IT departments of companies that still use IE are completely useless or they really don't care so long as they get their paycheck. I'm just surprised that this is coming out now.

Yup, IE's flaws are not exactly breaking news...