Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flying cars may be available within 10 years

UM-Bot

US company Terrafugia is developing a new flying car concept that could fit in your garage at home.

The vision of a future world filled with flying cars is something that has been explored in science fiction for years, but if Terrafugia's new TF-X flying car manages to deliver on its promises then it could make this concept a reality a lot sooner than we think.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...within-10-years

two things...:

1. They told us this in the early 1960's... Still waiting...

2. I work at the FAA academy where they train air traffic controllers... The controllers do a real good job with the few thousand air craft that fly through their air space each day... can you imagine though

if they had to control several million cars as well?...

• Like 3

We can't even get people to concentrate on the road now then we're going to have people slamming in to buildings and what not. Also, what's going to happen when they crash? Eventually, they're going to fall on the ground and maybe on someone's head, car or home...

• Like 3

two things...:

1. They told us this in the early 1960's... Still waiting...

2. I work at the FAA academy where they train air traffic controllers... The controllers do a real good job with the few thousand air craft that fly through their air space each day... can you imagine though

if they had to control several million cars as well?...

Well I guess the on-board computer will do most of the flying. I hope it has an avoidance system installed.

We can't even get people to concentrate on the road now then we're going to have people slamming in to buildings and what not. Also, what's going to happen when they crash? Eventually, they're going to fall on the ground and maybe on someone's head, car or home...

Then the ambulance chasers will have even more to do. Also the insurance companies will have to add riders to home owners policies to cover any damage by flying auto, or would the flying auto insurance cover that? Edited by paperdyer
  • Like 2

In 1996 they said "Flying cars may be available in 10 years", then in 2002, they said the same thing. Now can we believe them?

Never happen. No insurance company will cover flying cars. Even pilots need special riders on life insurance policies stating that if they die from flying it's not covered.

• Like 2

I've known too many licensed pilots who are either 1. dangerous or 2. dead. When I'm driving down the road and see some kid (or older person for that matter) with a cell phone in one hand, either yapping or texting, and a cigarette or coffee in the other, I just stop and think to myself: you know what the world needs now? Flying cars!

• Like 3

Never happen. No insurance company will cover flying cars. Even pilots need special riders on life insurance policies stating that if they die from flying it's not covered.

Exactly OS, and as hinted at by a couple of other posters on this thread. Its not the technology that holding us back, Health and safety, insurance and most people becoming morons behind the wheel of the car are 3 reasons why we will not see this for the average man in our lifetime.

Once personal travel is controlled by computers with avoidance systems and the 'hands of man' are of the steering wheel (or stick) this might become a reality.

• Like 1

I think it will prove to be a bit too dangerous. They would also need special parking lots with takeoff zones. I don't think flying cars are going to happen anytime soon. I would be happy with a cheap car that doesn't run on gas. If they want to invent something invent that.

• Like 1

Cool! I want one of these a here things....but how long will it fly for? ...and where exactly can one fly it, doesn't look very versatile as in swooping around valleys because you cant take something like this up into common traffic paths can you...

Flying cars? SCARE ME!. I live in the south and a drunk in a flying car? Now you have to watch from above as well? I was almost taken out by a drunk driver on the road twice and that is 2 to many.

Keep the flying to planes and future anti gravity.

Edited by AB Hammer

This idea just isn't going to fly...

Estimated cost of $280k? I'm assuming as with most estimates, cost always goes up at production time. You can get a helicopter for much less than that, but you don't see many people going that route, I suspect the same when this is on the market.

Flying cars? SCARE ME!. I live in the south and a drunk in a flying car? Now you have to watch from above as well? I was almost taken out by a drunk driver on the road twice and that is 2 to many.

Keep the flying to planes and future anti gravity.

Ya'll have to read the article before some of these comments...How many McClarens do you see out on the road? Exactly...

I still want one!

Ya'll have to read the article before some of these comments...How many McClarens do you see out on the road? Exactly...

Greetings timestamp

Yes I understood. I just figured I would try to put a little humor into a impractical idea. At least not until anti-gravity anyway.

I dunno there is a lot of room up there and with the way technology is coming.. I don't think its far fetched at all. Sure not in 10 years.. but still. Times they are a changing and IF they can get the accuracy correct and proven... what is the hold back?

I dunno there is a lot of room up there and with the way technology is coming.. I don't think its far fetched at all. Sure not in 10 years.. but still. Times they are a changing and IF they can get the accuracy correct and proven... what is the hold back?

Surely you would be against this, cars in the air getting in the way of the Silver Surfer? ;)

Actually hovering vehicles were already invented years ago..

I remember a Popular Science article back in the 60's that said basically the same thing. So this is just 50 year old news rehashed.

I don't believe in any success for this. I saw in a TV program that flying cars have actually been developed by several companies ever since the 1950s but they haven't gotten any success.

I guess the main problem is that the moment this vehicle lifts from the ground, it is according to regulations considered to be an airplane, with all what that means, that you need a pilot's license etc.

Furthermore, if there were many vehicles like this in the air, the risk of collision would probably be too big, and there wouldn't be enough air traffic controllers to keep track of all of them.