Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientist create 'alien' organism in a lab

UM-Bot

The first ever 'semi-synthetic' micro-organism is very different from all other life on Earth.

While very much terrestrial in origin, the genetically modified microbe possesses a unique genetic code thanks to the addition of an extra artificial piece of DNA that makes it completely unlike anything else alive.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ganism-in-a-lab

Why do the scientists always have to play with the deadly bacteria?

• Like 2

I thought it said " alien orgasm "....

• Like 5

I think we know what happens when they do this

51NVWM578QL.jpg

• Like 1

51NVWM578QL.jpg

51NVWM578QL.jpg

But she sure did look good!

The next article will be "Artificially created bacteria can't be killed, scientists looking for answers"

• Like 2

So you have created two new base pairs in an organism that perhaps has the potential of living inside a human host (it is after all modified E. coli, a common gut bacteria) AND bacteria can and do swap DNA with not only their own kind but other species of bacteria as well.

It IS interesting scientifically and perhaps completely harmless, but life, even artificial life has a way of not staying where you want it and often comes up with novel ways of surviving.

I hope the first thing they do is test a culture of the organism to see how susceptible it is to a wide range of antibiotics both in a petri dish and then perhaps when injected into lab mice. You never know, this might come in handy.

• Like 1

Why do the scientists always have to play with the deadly bacteria?

The E.Coli strains used as a working tool in microbiology/biotechnology as a host organism are not deadly.

You by yourself carry billions/trillions of it in your bowels.

• Like 2

The next article will be "Artificially created bacteria can't be killed, scientists looking for answers"

Then, "Artificially created bacteria escapes, believed existing within various primate communities."

Then, "Apes to rebel captivity, spokesape says."

• Like 3

Why do they call it alien if it is not alien. That is very misleading.

Then, "Artificially created bacteria escapes, believed existing within various primate communities."

Then, "Apes to rebel captivity, spokesape says."

Oh god, here comes Planet Of The Apes.

• Like 1

I do believe my new favorite cupcake is :

" Demonic "

• Like 1

And here we go again with all the "science is scary" people.

• Like 2

What's the purpose of genetically modifying bacteria for thrills, because we don't know what we're doing...playing "god" is a slippery slope for scientists. I would not support creating "superbugs" which can pose harm to humanity when it gets released to the world.

For example of a scientific mistake: African "killer" bees spread out the Americas from a small accident in a Brazilian lab in the 1950s released them to the wild. They interbred with European honeybees over the long run and now, the southern and western US deals with a possibility of bees aggressively stinging us to death.

We may benefit from learning on how bacteria function and simple organisms are, the problem is humans toy enough with nature with horrific results.

What's the purpose of genetically modifying bacteria for thrills, because we don't know what we're doing...playing "god" is a

slippery slope for scientists. I would not support creating "superbugs" which can pose harm to humanity when it gets released

to the world.

One of the, how do you call it misleadingly "thrills" but I call it applied science, has lead to mass production of human insulin originated

from insulin of animal origin, using genetic modified E.Coli bacteria. Your "superbug" paranoia is C-movie stuff and unobjective.

For example of a scientific mistake: African "killer" bees spread out the Americas from a small accident in a Brazilian lab in the 1950s

released them to the wild. They interbred with European honeybees over the long run and now, the southern and western US deals

with a possibility of bees aggressively stinging us to death.

This is an asymmetric comparison. The african bees were cultured by crossbreed and not by manageable in-vitro processed gene

mixture. Of course, the african bees were unpent by mistake but this population could had been minimized to zero meanwhile, by

crossbreed with less agressive types, but this does not happen as the honey production of african bees is 4 times the production of

"normal" bees. So the claim should be adressed more to the beekeepers community than generally to sciencific research.

We may benefit from learning on how bacteria function and simple organisms are, the problem is humans toy enough with nature

with horrific results.

We already know how bacteria and simple organisms are working, thats not the target of the research.

BTW, did you read the entire article?

The researchers emphasised that there is little danger of the new life-forms living outside the confines of the laboratory, as they are

not able to replicate with their synthetic DNA strand unless they are continuously fed the X and Y bases – synthetic chemicals called

"d5SICS" and "dNaM", that do not exist in nature. The bacteria also need a special protein to transport the new bases around the cell

of the microbe. The transporter protein comes from algae and if it, or the X and Y bases, are lacking, the microbial cells revert back to

the natural genetic code, said Denis Malyshev of the Scripps Institute.

http://www.independe...sm-9333371.html

Edited by toast

This is probably just the stuff the US government's decided to allow the civilians to know about. I dread to think what their "advanced" muck's like.

• Like 1

Mary Shelly wrote about this I think.

And here we go again with all the "science is scary" people.

Na we shouldn't worry about a thing.

The first ever 'semi-synthetic' micro-organism is very different from all other life on Earth.

Isn't this how most horror movies start? Now the question is "what's the point?". If they engineer a life form that can turn a harsh planetary environment into a livable one. Then I'm all for that. Something like turning Mars into a lush green planet.

And yet no mention of nuclear energy nor medicine. Just focus on the negative and hope that scary science goes away.

Oh god, here comes Planet Of The Apes.

:yes:

Come on, forgetaboutit. It's Friday! :w00t:

[media=]

:yes:

Come on, forgetaboutit. It's Friday! :w00t:

[media=]

[/media]

Your song is eerily similar to I am Legend, you know, the movie where the synthetic bug wipes out humanity?

Edited by taniwha