Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chinese police will soon patrol Paris

OverSword

From the article:

Chinese police will be patrolling the streets of Paris this summer alongside their French counterparts to help combat a surge in attacks against high-spending Chinese tourists.

The French authorities are determined to improve security for more than a million Chinese tourists who visit the capital for shopping and sightseeing each year.

Their habit of carrying large amounts of cash has made them a “prime target for muggers and pickpockets”, a police source said.

Chinese visitors to Paris are estimated to spend an average of €1,470 (£1,205) each on shopping, mainly buying designer brands, according to Global Blue, the Swiss-based duty free services company.

An interior ministry official said the number of Chinese police to be deployed in Paris was still being decided. “Their role will be preventive and they will carry out patrols with French police at tourist sites,” the official said.

I can see the value of having people on hand who can speak Chinese in cases like this... but I'm not sure how allowing Chinese Police (or police from any other nation) to have jurisdiction in Paris, is going to work out...

• Like 5

I heard about this yesterday and wondered how the French government and Parisian government could or would allow this.

"Chinese visitors to Paris are estimated to spend an average of €1,470 (£1,205) each on shopping"

Ah, of course.

What an intriguing idea !

I'm assuming these police won't necessarily have arrest powers, but are more like a combination of translators and Public Relations when encountering chinese tourists in distress. That could work out REALLY well.

• Like 2

I'm assuming these police won't necessarily have arrest powers, but are more like a combination of translators and Public Relations when encountering chinese tourists in distress. That could work out REALLY well.

Or it could be a dress rehearsal for a one world order where you submit to any authority figure that confronts you no matter what.
  • Like 3

If the Chinese Police will not have arrest powers... why have Chinese Police?... Wouldn't a translator work out just as well?...

• Like 3

Or it could be a dress rehearsal for a one world order where you submit to any authority figure that confronts you no matter what.

I found this post to be extremely intuitive, also, sadly enough, possibly probable. NWO anyone?

(As far a submitting to authority, in the states if a cop asks for your ID, tell him you don't have one. When he asks why not, just tell him your on your way to vote)

• Like 3

Are you sure they're not just setting up the next Jackie Chan/Owen Wilson movie?

• Like 3

Heh, maybe the tourists should try a different spending method than the habit of carrying that much cash on them. I suppose it is slightly reassuring that the Chinese police will be patrolling with French police. Still a darn shame that the muggings are that bad.

• Like 2

So if someone gets mugged and they are not Chinese, will the Chinese police man step back and leave it to the French police? you could not do that surely, not help because of someones nationality?

Who is going to be looking out for the non Chinese tourists while the French policeman is patrolling with the Chinese one to watch the backs of the Chinese tourists?

Or is it only Chinese tourists which gets mugged????

So if someone gets mugged and they are not Chinese, will the Chinese police man step back and leave it to the French police? you could not do that surely, not help because of someones nationality?

Who is going to be looking out for the non Chinese tourists while the French policeman is patrolling with the Chinese one to watch the backs of the Chinese tourists?

Or is it only Chinese tourists which gets mugged????

Its similar what the Met have, they have officers that patrol "their community" if you take my meaning. But they usually go with the normal officers. i suspect the French have their own Jewish affairs unit or French speaking African tourists and locals.

We here in Oz have "community officers" as well, they're trained coppers IIRC but their duties are on more of the "liaison" end of the spectrum.

We have Indigenous liaison officers, I've seen Chinese ones and African ones too. Mostly Indigenous Aussies though. I think they're there so when the snotty oiks that are nicked for being pricks are Indigenous kids the cops can't be accused of being racist and profiling them.

Its similar what the Met have, they have officers that patrol "their community" if you take my meaning. But they usually go with the normal officers. i suspect the French have their own Jewish affairs unit or French speaking African tourists and locals.

So they have police just for specific colours and nationalities?

racist1.gif

if this keeps up, I suppose in years to come, the tourists will only visit areas where they know "their" police will be watching their backs. Just ca not understand how this Chinese police for Chinese tourist thing will work, what about all the other tourists or even Parisians who get mugged? I can not see the French putting more police on the streets to look after the non Chinese tourists while another lot are walking with Lee Li next to them.

I guess we don't need Chinese help in London because our Police are experts in Pakistani, Indian , Arabic , Albanian , Romanian , Polish, and another Half dozen languages and everyone understands "Your nicked my son".

From the article:

Chinese police will be patrolling the streets of Paris this summer alongside their French counterparts to help combat a surge in attacks against high-spending Chinese tourists.

The French authorities are determined to improve security for more than a million Chinese tourists who visit the capital for shopping and sightseeing each year.

Their habit of carrying large amounts of cash has made them a “prime target for muggers and pickpockets”, a police source said.

Chinese visitors to Paris are estimated to spend an average of ¤1,470 (£1,205) each on shopping, mainly buying designer brands, according to Global Blue, the Swiss-based duty free services company.

An interior ministry official said the number of Chinese police to be deployed in Paris was still being decided. “Their role will be preventive and they will carry out patrols with French police at tourist sites,” the official said.

We were in Paris last week. I was wondering why the muggers left us alone.

• Like 1

Why are people getting lathered up about this? They have no powers there and will be operating on a purely advisory level much like US immigration send people over to UK airports.

• Like 1

So they have police just for specific colours and nationalities?

racist1.gif

if this keeps up, I suppose in years to come, the tourists will only visit areas where they know "their" police will be watching their backs. Just ca not understand how this Chinese police for Chinese tourist thing will work, what about all the other tourists or even Parisians who get mugged? I can not see the French putting more police on the streets to look after the non Chinese tourists while another lot are walking with Lee Li next to them.

Im surprised you just or started to know this, ita being going on for a number of years. The whole idea is to stop Police being racist from another background

Im surprised you just or started to know this, ita being going on for a number of years. The whole idea is to stop Police being racist from another background

It doesn't work as any black man from Los Angeles will testify.

Could it be something else if you look at it differently.

If I were a normal Chinese citizen I might be paranoid going to Paris doing my shopping with police from China all over the place.

• Like 2

If the Chinese Police will not have arrest powers... why have Chinese Police?... Wouldn't a translator work out just as well?...

How many people in France are fluent in Chinese? Exactly.

I think you are missing the obvious. Chinese police make the perfect undercover Chinese Tourists - muggers and pickpockets target them and hey presto, they have officially bitten off more than they can chew.

Edit to add; their presence in an "advisory" capacity fits the bill. They are well versed in identification of the perpetrators, proper handling of evidence and giving statements in a court of law that will be believed and assist in obtaining convictions.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 3

Most Chinese tourists are surprisingly fluent.

Who gives a rats ****? Every day I can walk to pike place market for lunch and see huge amounts of Chinese tourists. How many people in Seattle are fluent in Chinese?

I think you are missing the obvious. Chinese police make the perfect undercover Chinese Tourists - muggers and pickpockets target them and hey presto, they have officially bitten off more than they can chew.

Edit to add; their presence in an "advisory" capacity fits the bill. They are well versed in identification of the perpetrators, proper handling of evidence and giving statements in a court of law that will be believed and assist in obtaining convictions.

Is this based on Chinese government officials being particularly trustworthy? If you knew how they treat their own people you wouldn't say this. Example: Chinese were told that if they want to do some protesting while the olympics were being held there they can be at this certain place at this certain time to openly protest anything they are trying to draw international interest in. Everyone that showed up were arrested and detaind for the duration of the olympics. Sound trustworthy or reliable or non-biased?

Is this based on Chinese government officials being particularly trustworthy? If you knew how they treat their own people you wouldn't say this. Example: Chinese were told that if they want to do some protesting while the olympics were being held there they can be at this certain place at this certain time to openly protest anything they are trying to draw international interest in. Everyone that showed up were arrested and detaind for the duration of the olympics. Sound trustworthy or reliable or non-biased?

Do you have a source for this story? Either way, I'm going with the French know what they are doing on this matter and letting the actions speak for themselves rather than tarring every chinese with the brush you just used above.