Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where Do Our Thoughts Physically Exist?

Still Waters

Philosophers have wondered for ages how mind and matter relate to each other, and modern physics is chiming in on the debate. Here’s a look at a few theories about where or in what way our thoughts physically exist.

http://www.theepocht...ysically-exist/

Some very interesting *thoughts* there.

So, basically the answer to this question is: "We don't know"?

I appreciate the irony there. :D

• Like 4

There is no evidence that thoughts do 'physically exist'. The analogy of memory having data in it like some computer hard-drive may be completely incorrect. There is a possibility that 'thoughts' are recreated every time we think them - then destroyed, and none are 'stored' anywhere.

Some times I feel liked I m just a human robot in matter :)I liked to know where those human emotions come from with those thoughts.

I personally believe that if memories/thoughts aren't stored in any physical/chemical way, but instead kept as a form of energy, the first step to proving souls exist might be made there.

• Like 1

We have places where memories are stored physically, but thoughts, as well as sensations, including the sensation of recalled memory, are not physical. They are like a wave on the ocean -- it involves water but is not water.

• Like 2

I do not think that thoughts are physically real; they are just impulses but we see the manifested results all around us such as the computers we use or the surgical procedures medics use.

No thought is ever real, in my view. We can only choose to act on it and what we have is simply a result of the process.

• Like 1

There is also the argument that our thoughts are often not really ours, but are archetypal in nature and stream through ourselves - it's just that we take possession of them and then assume we manufactured/thought them.

This is the view of the Swiss psychologist, Carl Jung, and I feel it has merit. A more detailed outline can be read HERE.

• Like 4

our thoughts exists in our minds

What is the existence of a thought when we are thinking it? Is it like listening to music in that only the present sound exists, the past sound disappear and the future sound does not yet exist?

I think thoughts stay with us or exist after they are thought. We must keep a memory of our thoughts, or else how could we build upon them as ideas?

If consciousness exists, then the thoughts streaming through consciousness must exist.

• Like 3

Often music brings emotions I don't rarely if ever feel otherwise and I wonder how sounds can do that.

• Like 1

The reason spirits can hear our thoughts is because our thoughts are in the invisible spirit world. Our thoughts would be in our minds as well.

Edited by notforgotten
  • Like 1

Our thoughts are not physical, but spiritual.

To me, you are all but pictures and words.

• Like 2

Connections between neurons in the brain can be strengthened by repeated usage, leading to stronger and more permanent memories.

The more times you remember something, the stronger the pathway through the neurons becomes.

That's why in old age, the newer memories are lost, because they can't be made properly anymore, but the old pathways for old memories are still strong enough for you to remember them.

• Like 2

Btw, I got a virus warning when I visited the linked page in the original post, it said it was trying to access my computer... just a heads up.

• Like 1

Vast Realm Between Particles

Stanford University Professor Emeritus William A. Tiller hypothesizes that our thoughts have a physical effect on a “new level of substance … which appears to function in the physical vacuum (the empty space between the fundamental electric particles that make up our normal electric atoms and molecules).”

He says he has been able to measure this hitherto invisible substance, but only when it interacts with the substances we can conventionally measure. This interaction seems to occur when spurred by human intention, suggesting our thoughts physically exist in this realm.

The above hypothesis is an ancient one of mystery schools and some philosophies :)

I think someday it will be the physicists who will be the ones that finally will bridge the gap of the "spiritual" world to "matter" so people in general will understand more about the so called apparent miracles, god like events and psychic experiences that people of the ages experienced and inadvertly built mythical beliefs around their perceptions in the best they could understand, even if it was an incomplete view.

The laws involved were never outside of science, it is the nature of the natural creative laws to evolve consciousness and matter in the different dimensions of time and space.

Thought is connected to the physical just as the ills of the physical body can influence thoughts to the mind by the physical brain.

It was taught that there was an electric like force with consciousness that exists between the atoms of the physical body, mostly in the life blood that adepts could manipulate different fields "astrally" and some even connect with the "El" force which had it's influence over spirit, creation and evolution.

IMO the brain is like our physical hard drive, the thought of "spirit" when connected is like an internet connection with the unity of different conscious beings, but when the connection is broken, we can't remember it in the physical brain in it's whole form. The subconscious brings it back to us the best way,sometimes in misleading ways, but in the best that it can which is incomplete and usually incomprehensible once a connection is broken. The physical effects of matter also causes the brain to subconsciously connect to the spiritual and physical matrix.

It's the "temple of god" and the "kingdom within". All the myths and religions originated and are actually influenced by the unity and balance of the thoughts at this atomic dimension between our atoms and magnetism that exists and can connect with other forces. The prophets etc became aware how to consciously use an ability. Events considered miracles but in reality it is not. It is the science of wisdom that can be known by men who learn some secrets of nature which is both spiritual and physical interlinked.

As above so below...multiple universes, conscious and unconscious hosts (influences) and atomic dimensions of elements and the space within us.

• Like 3

I suspect that thoughts are magnetic and holographic.

I have nothing to back this up, it is simply an instinct.

• Like 3

I can't summon Cthulhu to this world through thinking about it once, but then again I can't lift 250kg from bench, let alone 100kg, without some good practise first.

I have recently come across the notion that thoughts have mass....

This idea resonates with me and I like it...

And if mass is inextricably linked to gravitational forces...then this could explain why often if my mother

or daughter drift into my mind...then the telephone rings or the text alert goes off...the chances are that it

will be them and I have received their thoughts/intention to contact me...literally received the mass

of their thoughts that gravitates to me..physically but invisibly...?

Perhaps it's stronger when you have spent many years close to someone?

Just quickly picked this link out of many to chose from...

Thoughts about thoughts having mass... :)

http://talha-rao.blo...ml#.U234XjhOUdU

oh and I'm not sure where this mass might exist or by what medium it travels....but it's very nippy.... :D

• Like 1

In my view, it doesn't feel right to reduce our counsciousness, the ''me'' to neurones, synapses and electrochemical processes. According to the materialist-branch of science we are basically ''computers'', robots of flesh and blood. I disagree with this assumption which is more than often based on a reductionist view of the world.

I think it's much more complex and fascinating than that, theoritical physics is scratching at the surface of something very strange indeed, holographic universe, three-brane worlds, quantum counsciousness and so on. It is my view that we may be part of a much bigger picture, that our physcial bodies, our reality may not be all there is.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2

It is my view that we may be part of a much bigger picture, that our physcial bodies, our reality may not be all there is.

You may be right, or not. If there is a bigger picture, what is our place in it? Why is it hidden from us? What's the point?

• Like 1

You may be right, or not. If there is a bigger picture, what is our place in it? Why is it hidden from us? What's the point?

These are fundamental questions that philosophers have tried to puzzled out since Humanity began to wonder. The sparks that ligted up so many religions and shaped cultures. With the scientific knowledge we have, we can look at these interogations in a more rational, critical way, unveiling new concepts and ideas that just weren't imagined by our ancestors.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

I have recently come across the notion that thoughts have mass....

This idea resonates with me and I like it...

And if mass is inextricably linked to gravitational forces...then this could explain why often if my mother

or daughter drift into my mind...then the telephone rings or the text alert goes off...the chances are that it

will be them and I have received their thoughts/intention to contact me...literally received the mass

of their thoughts that gravitates to me..physically but invisibly...?

Perhaps it's stronger when you have spent many years close to someone?

Just quickly picked this link out of many to chose from...

Thoughts about thoughts having mass... :)

http://talha-rao.blo...ml#.U234XjhOUdU

oh and I'm not sure where this mass might exist or by what medium it travels....but it's very nippy.... :D

Have you ever had a song stuck in your head, and then someone next to you starts humming/singing it?

• Like 1