Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why It's Normal to See Jesus in Toast

Still Waters

The man in the moon. Jesus in toast. The Virgin Mary in a grilled cheese sandwich. Faces are everywhere - even when they're not, strictly speaking, supposed to be.

Now, new research reveals the brain processes that underlie these facial false alarms, a phenomenon called "face pareidolia."

http://www.livescien...pareidolia.html

• Like 1

I've seen some pictures of some toast recently that I can tell you for sure I would not eat.

I see faces in certain cuts of wood grain.

I see faces on the back of my eye lids...

Well ...

• Like 2

Very good, But can anyone explain why there are mouse footprints in my butter?

• Like 1

Speaking of faces....I can see Alfred Hitchc.ocks profile from a hand print smudge on my glass door....hmm! interesting.

I grew up in a very old house and when I was very young I would see faces in the texturing on the walls at night. It was frightening.

When I was a kid I imagined the texturing on the school ceiling to be a map with mountains and valleys. Kids don't learn much doing that sort of thing.

• Like 2

NASA to uneducated populous:

Pareidolia! Sooo.... Don't believe your lyin eyes.

As I mentioned before, if I see Jesus, or in fact any worthy, in my toast, I don't eat it; that would be cannibalism. I might put it on the wall after applying some sort of preservative (mildewed toast on the wall is not decorative).

This may be just me, but every time I look in a mirror, I see a face. Albeit a very attractive face, but still a face nonetheless.

• Like 1

Seriously, I have been telling people about the effect(s) of Pareidolia for years. The human mind always finds comfort in familiarity, so when we see something strange, we fill in the gap with something we recognize to satisfy our mind.

• Like 1

Eating toast is an immensely religious experience.

Do they appear on white, wheat, or sour dough?

Would Michael Jacksons face prefer Rye Bread, or something with more bleach?...Maybe a potato bread?

Edited by Sakari

so ? uh i also see faces , but i don't think someone can explain what i see ! ''faces of the dead '' it has nothing to do with pareidolia . or any religion .

i see them all the time in patterned surfaces - when i close my eyes i can see them too. i think it's kind of cool and i wonder if it's just a conglomeration of every face my brain has ever recorded.

On tonight's news, conspiracy theorist everywhere go absolutely balistic.

It's all in your head emo.

Edit -

ROFLMFAO! Nice edit on the title between the forum and homepage! If I had seen the forum title first I wouldn't have bothered reading.

Edited by chopmo

What IF.... there is actual face-like structure on Mars?

I used to play a game with the clouds and see what I could think they looked like. Other than for amusement, doing so is no use at all.

I see faces all the time but I smoke kush for breakfast so it kinda goes with the territory

I quit smoking weed, but back in the day, I'd see faces in everything when stoned.

so ? uh i also see faces , but i don't think someone can explain what i see ! ''faces of the dead '' it has nothing to do with pareidolia . or any religion .

But it does explain the amount of people who think they've found faces on Mars, ghosts in camera sensor noise, ghosts in blurry reflections in photos, etc.

I can be an important factor to take into account depending on the situation that people see faces in.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on what you are indoctrinated with or what you happen to be absorbed in that affects what images your mind tries to see in meaningless visual gibberish.

If one was a Buddhist then they'd see images related to that or if one was enamored with Warcraft they may see images that resemble whatever is in Warcraft.

Also I read that the human brain is adapted to recognize faces to the point that one will often think there are "faces" in random patterns as long as part of the patterns are somewhat in proportion to a face be it human or animal.

• Like 1