Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

School introduces 'no mornings' policy

Still Waters

Hampton Court House becomes the first school in the country to allow sixth-formers to start classes in the afternoon to get a lie-in, but headmaster Guy Holloway denies it is simply an attempt to satisfy "lazy" teenagers.

http://www.telegraph...-teenagers.html

I gotta agree with his reasoning here. Nothing worse on a developing mind than trying to cram algebra into it when it's still waking up.

Thanks toast :) So that would be juniors and seniors in high school here in the states then.

I'm not too sure this is a good idea. Teens are up all night, sleep all day, lol. So instead of bleary eyed in the morning, you will get bleary eyed at 1:30 in the afternoon.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 2

I can kinda understand the idea. Problem is this in no way helps them to become prepared for the real world, where most jobs start between 6 and 8 am. If your kid is having trouble getting up in the morning, then put their butts to bed at a decent hour. Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise.

• Like 5

Lets hope there future employers are so flexible if they fancy a lie in.

Come to think of it why are teenagers so tired nowadays? I with thousands of others went through school, college and onto work starting a 8-8:30am. Commute to school, 45 mins walking, college 1 hour by train and work has always varied. Is this a new biological thing?

There is nothing biological in my mind, it is self discipline to get your butt to bed early if you have an early start.

• Like 4

Not sure if I'm just disappointed with the lack of discipline in today's youth and the the education system's willingness to pander to them, or if I'm just super-jealous that I didn't get to start school during lunchtime.

• Like 1

Biologically the teenage brain needs more sleep then an adult brain. So I am all for this. As people get older they need less sleep and shift to morning people. ( just like how alot of old people wake up at like 5, do they think they did that when they where teenagers?)

There was one study where a school pushed back its opening time only an hour and grade+ attendance improved on average. I forget what grades they pushed the time back for. An alas i forget what study it was so people will have to take my word for it :su

And I have to add that when kids go to college one of the first things they do is schedule class so that they do not have to wake up early. But we do not count that as a discipline issue or say that they will not be prepared to wake up for their real jobs. So why should we count the rest of schools with diffrent standards?

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

I like seeing a school unafraid to go against established traditional norms! It's what we need. I don't think late classes will have any effect on their work in the future, except an improvement in their grades may change their future.

I remember college students who tried to pick late classes at university.

I chuckled at the description of the school. Here in the states we like to advertise things differently, 1000% better than they really are, not tell it like it is, so this description was "refreshing?"

"The Good Schools Guide describes Hampton Court House as the “ideal place to grow and learn for those who will thrive on the relaxed and civilised values of the place”, adding: “Hitherto seen as a refuge for those who couldn’t get on elsewhere – sometimes the obstructive or wayward – but this is likely to change now.”

"1000%"? Sorry, but I had math in the morning in high school.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Oh, man. I wish my school did that. I still do. Wasn't college supposed to be about creating a schedule that works for you? If so, why are all my required classes at 9:00 in the morning? And before anybody accuses me of being lazy or undisciplined, I'm more than happy to put in a full day and more, as long as it doesn't start before 10:00. I'd rather be cheerful and productive later in the day than bitter and cranky and productive earlier in the day. If that's not how the real world works, I'll live in my own fantasy world.

Let me put it this way. What time do you wake up feeling refreshed and ready to participate in life? Wake up two and a half hours before that every day for the next five months. If you wake up at 6:00, start waking up at 3:30. Does that sound like fun? You can even get weekends off!

If I was a student there I would have hated that. It is bad enough having the best part of your day being consumed by a job let alone school.

I would prefer to just get the school day over and done with so I can have whatever is left of my day to do other things.

• Like 1

No kidding, Ryu. I'm not a morning person at all, but I'd rather work first shift than second, which is basically what this is.

So instead of teaching kids to go to sleep sooner if they have to wake up early, let them sleep in and ignore responsibility if they don't feel like it?

• Like 4

Lets hope there future employers are so flexible if they fancy a lie in.

Come to think of it why are teenagers so tired nowadays? I with thousands of others went through school, college and onto work starting a 8-8:30am. Commute to school, 45 mins walking, college 1 hour by train and work has always varied. Is this a new biological thing?

There is nothing biological in my mind, it is self discipline to get your butt to bed early if you have an early start.

Actually, from what I've read there is a degree of biology to it. Basically, they're not 'morning people', their brains don't kick into top gear until about 11am (which in Oz schools means they've sleepwalked through 2 hours of instruction already).

• Like 1

So why for so many decades have teenagers managed the morning times?

Lets hope none of them choose a military career, I can just imagine asking the sergeant if they can start training later in the day as they can not cope with mornings.

There again it is Hampton court, they will get top notch jobs simply because of the school they attended, not by achievement. No doubt CEO mums and dad will have fixed up well before they leave. In all honesty they could probably stay in bed all day.

• Like 2

Its funny that the Countries who top the table for quality of Education are those that start at very early times and go on to have long days and this applies from age 4 to 17. South Korea for example. start at 7AM, finish at 4pm and then go back to school at 6pm till 9pm or later. that's a hell of a long day.

When you look at the list below. we dont do so bad. i think we have the balance of school hours just right, when i went to the seniors we started at 8:05 and finished at 2:05. i liked them hours.

TOP 20 EDUCATION SYSTEMS IN THE WORLD.

• 1. South Korea
  • 2. Japan
  • 3. Singapore
  • 4. Hong Kong
  • 5. Finland
  • 6. UK
  • 7. Canada
  • 8. Netherlands
  • 9. Ireland
  • 10. Poland
  • 11. Denmark
  • 12. Germany
  • 13. Russia
  • 14. United States
  • 15. Australia
  • 16. New Zealand
  • 17. Israel
  • 18. Belgium
  • 19. Czech Republic
  • 20. Switzerland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27314075

So why for so many decades have teenagers managed the morning times?

The way I interpreted what I read suggests that we as teens learnt better in the middle of the day, not that they can't manage now and need to be cotton-woolled.

We also used to learn to think that beating kids got the best results. Times, and educational philosophy, change.

• Like 2

Its funny that the Countries who top the table for quality of Education are those that start at very early times and go on to have long days and this applies from age 4 to 17. South Korea for example. start at 7AM, finish at 4pm and then go back to school at 6pm till 9pm or later. that's a hell of a long day.

When you look at the list below. we dont do so bad. i think we have the balance of school hours just right, when i went to the seniors we started at 8:05 and finished at 2:05. i liked them hours.

TOP 20 EDUCATION SYSTEMS IN THE WORLD.

• 1. South Korea
  • 2. Japan
  • 3. Singapore
  • 4. Hong Kong
  • 5. Finland
  • 6. UK
  • 7. Canada
  • 8. Netherlands
  • 9. Ireland
  • 10. Poland
  • 11. Denmark
  • 12. Germany
  • 13. Russia
  • 14. United States
  • 15. Australia
  • 16. New Zealand
  • 17. Israel
  • 18. Belgium
  • 19. Czech Republic
  • 20. Switzerland

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-27314075

Just curious how do we internationally rank a school system?

Now all they need to do is sort out those pesky afternoons!

im not sure. because one minute were in the top six in the world and then someone releases a study or whatever and then we're near the bottom. i think they make it up myself.

im not sure. because one minute were in the top six in the world and then someone releases a study or whatever and then we're near the bottom. i think they make it up myself.

Half the problem is we have lost credibility with many. Critics constantly argue that our year on year increases in qualification grades is down to the dumbing down of examinations not better education.

As an ex post 16 tutor/NVQ assessor I can't really make my mind up. Although the standard of maths and English displayed by some students who supposedly got a GCSE grade A in the subjects did sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

IIRC it's based on numbers of students in a cohort at the start of high school versus the numbers of students in a cohort at the end of high school. the numbers of that cohort who sit the university entrance style exams and the number who go onto university.