Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mountain of the Dead

Ghost Ship

One of the most bizarre, not to mention flat out terrifying, mysteries of the modern age concerns the enigmatic deaths of nine Russian mountaineers whose cross-country skiing trip ended in a tragedy so ghastly and perplexing that it has mystified experts for over half a century.

What makes the so-called “Dyatlov Pass Incident” so fascinating is the fact that there is absolutely no doubt that these events actually occurred… and dreadfully little doubt that one of the last sensations experienced by these poor souls was one of abject terror.

Read the whole story here: http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2012/01/mountain-of-the-dead-the-dyatlov-pass-incident/

Day.jpg

Dyatlov Pass thread #17.

• Like 3

I seriously had never heard of this during years of visiting these sites.

Make a trendy movie and BOOM.

• Like 1

One of the most bizarre, not to mention flat out terrifying, mysteries of the modern age concerns the enigmatic deaths of nine Russian mountaineers whose cross-country skiing trip ended in a tragedy so ghastly and perplexing that it has mystified experts for over half a century.

What makes the so-called “Dyatlov Pass Incident” so fascinating is the fact that there is absolutely no doubt that these events actually occurred… and dreadfully little doubt that one of the last sensations experienced by these poor souls was one of abject terror.

Read the whole story here: http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2012/01/mountain-of-the-dead-the-dyatlov-pass-incident/

Day.jpg

A decent site on this very baffling set of circumstances. Thanks for posting the link here.

I became absolutely obsessed with this case after hearing a several-hour interview with Keith McCloskey last fall--he's one of two writers with very recent books on the Dyatlov incident. For Christmas I was given both McCloskey's book and the other by Donnie Eicher. Both make important contributions to understanding Dyatlov, each worth reading for its own merits (though IMO Eicher is a wonderful writer who brings these nine young Russians back to life with his prose, while McCloskey is much drier).

The site you linked says this in its closing:

...what really happened to these nine poor souls? For over half a century forensics experts, scientists, military officials and amateur investigators have scratched their collective heads over this eerie enigma… and it doesn’t seem as if any answers are forthcoming.

[bolding mine]

I would have to disagree. IMHO, Donnie Eicher has hit on what is to me the most scientifically sound (and heretofore unexplored) explanation. But I won't spoil the ride (or ski trip) he takes you on. :-) head to Amazon and order the book!

Edited by 2-B
  • Like 1

One other thing: Eicher will be interviewed by Dave Schraeder of Darkness Radio in the next couple weeks. Interview was to have been this past Tuesday but some schedule conflict arose, the interview was postponed, and an exact date hasn't been announced.

Anyone interested can keep an eye on darknessradio.com.

• Like 1

Dyatlov Pass thread #17.

Maybe so, but it's new to the people it's new to. Besides, the "16" other threads (which I've slogged through) were started and argued for the most part before two major books were recently published in English on the incident, so......

Edited by 2-B

Unsolved Mysteries Vol.1 "The Dyatlov Pass Incident"

Here is a good video to watch about this incident.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Twin Peaks
  • Like 1

Everything has been discussed and the "mysteries" all solved. Search for the last thread. The only really "unsolved" part is what scared them from the tent, for it was not an avalanche, or meteorite or the such. Once they left the tent scared sh!tless (too scared to return), the rest is explainable. Cheers.

• Like 1

I seriously had never heard of this during years of visiting these sites.

Make a trendy movie and BOOM.

The movie about this is pretty good for low budget horrot

Never heard of this before but now I am fascinated. Thank you for the heads up.

• Like 1

Honestly the government probably did something which caused their deaths and covered it up. |: They don't want to admit that they made a mistake or something.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is the Timewarrior speaking. This entire case reeks of some type of mass induced delirium that was somehow triggered by one specific event that remains to this point undetermined. The fact that no one survived said incident makes the identification of it so much harder.