Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Elf Whisperer of Iceland

Still Waters

Ragnhildur Jónsdóttir wants you to know that she’s not crazy. She’s gone to a doctor—two, actually—to make sure. She just wants to save the elves. After all, they’re her friends.

“Of course lots of people look at you a certain way, like they’re wondering, ‘Are you crazy?’” Since she was a little girl, Jónsdóttir has had the ability to see and speak with elves. That means that, since she was a little girl, Jónsdóttir has been dealing with our side-eyed judgement.

http://news.yahoo.co...--politics.html

• Like 1

Shes a nut :w00t: or a genius at drumming up tourism for her village!

• Like 1

For some reason I couldn't open the link. I'll try again later.

I remember hearing a while back that in Iceland it's a fairly common held belief. I don't recall the percentages though. At first I thought it was an 'Onion' type news article so I checked it out, and it's true. They even have an 'Elf School' where they'll teach you about the 13 different types.

eta: "In one 1998 survey, 54.4 percent of Icelanders said they believed in the existence of elves."

Source and more on Jónsdóttir: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/10/why-so-many-icelanders-still-believe-in-invisible-elves/280783/

Edited by Likely Guy

She should take medication that lowers Dopamine levels in the Brain.

Then look for the Elves.

• Like 1

She should take medication that lowers Dopamine levels in the Brain.

Then look for the Elves.

You shouldn’t write prescriptions on the Internet. It’s more dangerous than seeing elves.

In fact, seeing elves is not dangerous at all.

Medicating people because they are not boring enough for your taste is.

Some things exist, who knows what it is, energies, seen as archetypes... it doesn't mean they are physically there but it doesn't mean people who are willing to sense them are insane.

It's probably more insane to believe we're conscious just so that we could perceive how there's nothing but endless circles of births, eating, ****ting and dying. And so on, I'm not even inspired for a rant.

• Like 7

She’s gone to a doctor—two, actually—to make sure.

http://news.yahoo.co...--politics.html

Until she is a danger to others, the doctors will say she is not crazy. here is another reason why they can not put her away:

According to the director of the Icelandic Association of Psychologists, Halla Þorvaldsdóttir, a lot of people have been referred to the hospital from healthcare centers.

“These are people with common mental issues such as anxiety disorders, depression and melancholy. There are little or no resources for these people in the healthcare centers and so they are referred to the outpatient psychiatric ward. Therapy should be the first treatment for most types of depression and anxiety, as indicated in clinical guidelines, not medication,” Halla told mbl.is.

http://icelandreview...sychiatric-ward

Edited by freetoroam

I wonder what depression and anxiety have to do with seeing elves. It takes psychosis for elaborate hallucinations. Full blown psychosis wouldn't be missed by two doctors. I hope. If you're going to have a sceptic fest here, do it right.

• Like 3

I wonder what depression and anxiety have to do with seeing elves. It takes psychosis for elaborate hallucinations. Full blown psychosis wouldn't be missed by two doctors. I hope. If you're going to have a sceptic fest here, do it right.

Anxiety attacks are your body overreacting to a perceived stimulus. By that logic, a hallucination wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Also, reading the article.

Jónsdóttir says. “And people come from all over the world. I’m not trying to convince anyone to see things the way I do. I ask them to open up their heart and let their inner child out while listening to these stories. It’s much more fun. They don’t have to think, ‘How can an elf live in a rock?’ Then when they go back to their hotel they can use their grown-up logic.

She seems more like a local storyteller who lives her gimmick more than a woman who actually thinks she talks to elves.

I'd think she's got herself a niche and plays it up to help her income.

• Like 2

I remember hearing a while back that in Iceland it's a fairly common held belief. I don't recall the percentages though. At first I thought it was an 'Onion' type news article so I checked it out, and it's true. They even have an 'Elf School' where they'll teach you about the 13 different types.

eta: "In one 1998 survey, 54.4 percent of Icelanders said they believed in the existence of elves."

Source and more on Jónsdóttir: http://www.theatlant...e-elves/280783/

We actually had a thread about the "Elf School" -

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=257159

And another one "Endanagered Elf habitat delays road work" -

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=259773

• Like 1

Well, she's not hurting anyone. Maybe (in her head) it's a pleasant place to be...... The grand kids would certainly love her. She should consider writing children's story books.

• Like 4

Well, she's not hurting anyone. Maybe (in her head) it's a pleasant place to be...... The grand kids would certainly love her. She should consider writing children's story books.

Exactly, it doesn't hurt anyone. Unless, redirecting a road to protect a 'habitat' harms anyone. Heck they even relocated a 30 ton stone for new road works. From the photos I've seen of Iceland, it's truly a magical place. Leave them and their elves alone.

• Like 7

Exactly, it doesn't hurt anyone. Unless, redirecting a road to protect a 'habitat' harms anyone. Heck they even relocated a 30 ton stone for new road works. From the photos I've seen of Iceland, it's truly a magical place. Leave them and their elves alone.

Yes, redirecting roads and relocating stones weighing tons is just a tad over the top lol....but hey! each to their own :)
  • Like 1

Anxiety attacks are your body overreacting to a perceived stimulus. By that logic, a hallucination wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Oh, I know. It’s not “I heard about it”, it’s “I know”.

But there’s huge difference between overreacting, sensitivity and psychosis.

Seeing a random shadow and having your brain read it as a person that’s attacking you and reacting appropriately to your interpretation instead of to actual reality is not particularly sane but people can rationalize it instantly. Psychosis prevents you from rationalizing it, ever.

Sensing the atmosphere of a place, of all things present is just spiritual, poetic if you will, mode of our brains. We can choose if we’ll turn it on or shut it down. Anxiety can crank it up or shut it down, depends on zillion factors, but there’s no brigade of sceptics that can separate me from my complete experience of this existence. After all, is there a sceptic that was never drawn to or away from a place or a person without any apparent reason?

Also, reading the article.

She seems more like a local storyteller who lives her gimmick more than a woman who actually thinks she talks to elves.

I'd think she's got herself a niche and plays it up to help her income.

Often it’s both. Things and people are rarely monochrome.

It doesn’t really matter, in my opinion. What matters is that elves are still there and will be there at least for as long as there’s someone to see them ;)

• Like 3

Iceland has a small very isolated population. Probably a lot of inbreeding has occurred. There's a medical condition called Synaesthesia where one of the 5 recognized human senses also communicates with the parts used to interpret the signals from another. People see words they hear for example. If its tapped into the 6th, telepathy/ESP, then she and the others could be either seeing something which is really there, something that might have allowed people in prehistory to see the little people, dead ancestors, gods etc, or distorted telepathic visual signals of stuff seen and transmitted by others.

Iceland has a small very isolated population. Probably a lot of inbreeding has occurred. There's a medical condition called Synaesthesia where one of the 5 recognized human senses also communicates with the parts used to interpret the signals from another. People see words they hear for example. If its tapped into the 6th, telepathy/ESP, then she and the others could be either seeing something which is really there, something that might have allowed people in prehistory to see the little people, dead ancestors, gods etc, or distorted telepathic visual signals of stuff seen and transmitted by others.

Yeah, I've thought about that before, I always thought it must be a bit more of an emphasis on researching your spouse's family tree there, and the whole patronymic naming system sounds like it would just complicate things even more?

I use to think I could "hear" and "see" aliens...then I realized I lived in America...Thank You!!!

Ragnhildur Jónsdóttiri is credited in a lot of these articles with taking the photos of the various rocks and landscapes. She is no stranger to a camera. She just needs to take some pics of these little guys and then she'll have more believers then she can handle.

• Like 1

Ragnhildur Jónsdóttiri is credited in a lot of these articles with taking the photos of the various rocks and landscapes. She is no stranger to a camera. She just needs to take some pics of these little guys and then she'll have more believers then she can handle.

The elves only appear when they want to appear. :yes:

• Like 2

Dam. I don't doubt the possibility of elves however i find it amazing that Iceland's Government would even hear and respond to the requests of protesters protesting for the survival of beings that don't even scientifically exist. The only other cryptids that i know of that have gotten the support from the government like that is the Loch Ness Monster, and Bigfoot.

• Like 1

Dam. I don't doubt the possibility of elves however i find it amazing that Iceland's Government would even hear and respond to the requests of protesters protesting for the survival of beings that don't even scientifically exist. The only other cryptids that i know of that have gotten the support from the government like that is the Loch Ness Monster, and Bigfoot.

You screw with the elves and bad things happen. :unsure:

• Like 4

You shouldn’t write prescriptions on the Internet. It’s more dangerous than seeing elves.

In fact, seeing elves is not dangerous at all.

Medicating people because they are not boring enough for your taste is.

Some things exist, who knows what it is, energies, seen as archetypes... it doesn't mean they are physically there but it doesn't mean people who are willing to sense them are insane.

It's probably more insane to believe we're conscious just so that we could perceive how there's nothing but endless circles of births, eating, ****ting and dying. And so on, I'm not even inspired for a rant.

If you get sick?See a faith healer, and not a Doctor.Thanks

Perhaps otherwise known as "cabin fever?"

If you get sick?See a faith healer, and not a Doctor.Thanks

Oh, do I see the oldest couch-militant sceptic straw man again? How cute...

Actually, there are, thank gods, plenty of doctors who are naturally aware of psychological, psychiatric and spiritual component and just how inseparable it is from physical health.

If your doctor thinks of human body as of biological machine and doesn't understand the wholeness of life, you better find one more intelligent and you do that right now. Your life depends on it.

Now please do say something condescening again. Fairies told me crush you verbally :D

Then you check your blood pressure and tell me how much it went up. Yup, that's simplified example of how it works :D

Sounds like a similar experience Ralph Wiggum has.