Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trained medical dogs can monitor diabetes

UM-Bot

Specially trained medical detection dogs can have a huge impact to the lives of diabetes sufferers.

Most people will be familiar with guide dogs for the blind, but a relatively new type of dog training has been proving that man's best friend is capable of offering a lot more to patients than previously realised.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...onitor-diabetes

Dogs are pretty awesome! Its cool to see them being utilized more in ways that they are naturally in tuned to. They could be a HUGE benefit in the medical field. I'd like to see a lot more of this kind of thing in the future! Plus...did I mention dogs are awesome?

Edited by lisaloveslilia
  • Like 1

i wonder if we could train my friends dog to do this for her. I would gladly train it myself if it would help her

Ah, this is because diabetics get a fruit-y smell about there breath when they sugar is too high or too low (or at least it does for me). A girl at the school I attend has a dog for just that purpose, though I'm sure her sugar isn't that out of control...

USA Networks' Roal Pains used this a couple of seasons ago.

I know a very nice guy that has a little chihuahua for his diabetes. She's a darling dog, exceedingly well behaved.

Doesn't surprise me. Didn't they find that dogs can smell cancer in patients also?

how did they get a phto of my dog? I am not diabetic, because I don't take statins. However this photo looks a lot like my dog.

Doesn't surprise me. Didn't they find that dogs can smell cancer in patients also?

I do believe I've heard that before. Dogs have amazing sense of smell! Think I also heard a story about a dog sensing his owner's oncoming heart attack. Pretty amazing!