Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Life in space

qxcontinuum

I was reading the other day ( and i am glad i did) that out there is space. If a human walks out without a suit and holding his breath for 30 -40 seconds. Exactly nothing bad will happen to him. His eyes won't be sucked out, or his blood, like in hollywood movies. It is not even extremely cold as we expected to be. He might get sun burns if touched by sun lights. My normal question then is...

Another article was saying that you can simply take a dormant insect (winter hibernation), put her in a box, transport her on a planet like Mars and release her. She will wake up from hibernation but die right away because of the actual conditions.

So my point is now more then ever i believe that is it so easy to propagate-life in space through meteorites and celestial bodies carrying cells, atoms and dna.

Edited by qxcontinuum

But what about pressure? There's no pressure in space, and since there is some pressure on earth.. It would be different. Our bodies are used to earths pressure, but going to zero pressure, wouldn't it do something to you?

You mean panspermia.

Panspermia (Greek: πανσπερμία from πᾶς/πᾶν (pas/pan) "all" and σπέρμα (sperma) "seed") is the hypothesis that life exists throughout the Universe, distributed by meteoroids, asteroids, comets[1][2] and planetoids.[3]

LINK

Look up any article by Chandra Wickramasinghe (Professor and Director of the Buckingham Centre for Astrobiology at the University of Buckingham) He is the Panspermia Chicken Little. Every time we have a skybound event he runs around screaming panspermia. Smart man, but very excitable.

That hypothesis has been around from some time, no proof of it, no reason to discount it.

You got to these little blokes yet?

clones052411-02.jpg

• Like 5

our bodies are used to exerting counter pressure of something like 14 lbs per square inch so without that, our own system would in fact push out at that pressure against 0 gee so their could be ramifications physiologically, like eyeballs popping out sort of thing, I dont know, just saying but I would love to go up and just be there for the buzz.

As Psyche says, Panspermia is the stuff your suggesting and givin the age of the universe, let alone our own Galaxy, with all the events likely to occur, there could be something in what the theory purports...

• Like 2

Panspermia's biggest problem, in my opinion, is the time it takes to travel from one system to another if you are just drifting along, and the corresponding billions of years some spore would have to remain vital. Naw.

I do think that with fairly simple breathing apparatus and a tight secondary skin, humans could live reasonably well in little space bungalows. Kinda be the ultimate way to be a hermit. Hafta have a way to detect objects headed at you and evade them (relative speeds can get up there pretty high so a small pebble can be lethal, but space is big and these would be rare) and one needs radiation protection, but the secondary skin could provide that.

• Like 1

So my point is now more then ever i believe that is it so easy to propagate-life in space through meteorites and celestial bodies carrying cells, atoms and dna.

Easy or not, did that actually happen? It's easy and potentially possible for me to learn to speak Arabic and nothing about that would violate what we know about reality, but I don't speak Arabic despite the possibility and potential for me to do so.

Are you proposing that it happened and if so what's your evidence or are you just proposing a potentially true hypothesis?

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 2

I don't think it's easy but will admit it's possible. The appeal comes from the fact that life appeared so quickly here after conditions were tolerable and a lot of people are confused about how hard it would be for life to originate here on its own.

I think this is a residue of creationist attackers who make a big deal about how "marvelous" life is. The reality is all you need is a molecule that can utilize bits of its environment to make copies of itself. Not terribly simple but not unimaginable either, given a million years or so in a reducing (no free oxygen to destroy complex molecules) atmosphere and lots of energy sources and a huge ocean.

• Like 1

Hey Frank

What about comets? Surviving in ice might be possible? Tardigrades have survived open space. How they manage to resist UV radiation so well is quite a mystery.

• Like 1

i believe that is it so easy to propagate-life in space through meteorites and celestial bodies carrying cells, atoms and dna.

We have no doubt inadvertently left cells/dna/microbes on the moon! Seen any palm tree's yet?

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

I agree it's possible but unless the evolution happens somehow in the comet how does it get to the comet? Being knocked off a planet implies bits of "infected" rock traveling about.

• Like 1

I would suggest something of a glancing blow with a planet.

Easy or not, did that actually happen? It's easy and potentially possible for me to learn to speak Arabic and nothing about that would violate what we know about reality, but I don't speak Arabic despite the possibility and potential for me to do so.

Are you proposing that it happened and if so what's your evidence or are you just proposing a potentially true hypothesis?

Even more, I would think the microcells and bacteria must have came from different planets which can explains a variety of life forms and evolutionary ways. On earth everything seems to be just a copy of macrocosmically principles, so if plants, nature is created through propagation, why not then accepting that theory?

One major stone of this principle would be the fact that meteorites burn in upper atmosphere. But while just checking online this fact, it turns out it isn’t really a fact.

“Many astronomers believe that small rocks hitting the ground should not be hot. In a Science@NASAarticle about the recent fireball over Pennsylvania, written by Tony Phillips, the planetary scientist Don Yeomans is quoted as saying,"Rocky asteroids are poor conductors of heat. Their central regions remain cool even as the hot outer layers are ablated away... Small rocky meteorites found immediately after landing will not be hot to the touch."

Edited by qxcontinuum

I agree it's possible but unless the evolution happens somehow in the comet how does it get to the comet? Being knocked off a planet implies bits of "infected" rock traveling about.

Earth's upper atmosphere—below freezing, nearly without oxygen, flooded by UV radiation—is no place to live. But last winter, scientists from the Georgia Institute of Technology discovered that billions of bacteria actually thrive up there.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-06/bacteria-33000-feet

Just grazing the upper atmosphere of a planet may be enough to become 'infected'.

I've heard that a unprotected human could move through vacuum if they only were exposed for several seconds. It would seem to me that there would be skin damage, and eyeball damage done, hemorrhaging, but you'd live, for a while. Maybe long enough to be put into a bacta tank? Or cryo-frozen.

• Like 2

Even more, I would think the microcells and bacteria must have came from different planets which can explains a variety of life forms and evolutionary ways. On earth everything seems to be just a copy of macrocosmically principles, so if plants, nature is created through propagation, why not then accepting that theory?

One major stone of this principle would be the fact that meteorites burn in upper atmosphere. But while just checking online this fact, it turns out it isn’t really a fact.

“Many astronomers believe that small rocks hitting the ground should not be hot. In a Science@NASAarticle about the recent fireball over Pennsylvania, written by Tony Phillips, the planetary scientist Don Yeomans is quoted as saying,"Rocky asteroids are poor conductors of heat. Their central regions remain cool even as the hot outer layers are ablated away... Small rocky meteorites found immediately after landing will not be hot to the touch."

You seem to not be understanding that the hypothesis is not denied, it's just an interesting though that may be right, and it may be wrong, it seems theoretically possible, but there is no reason to conclude this has ever happened.

It did not happen here, and the plants and animals are a product if the environment, stromatolites indicate life started here, small and in water.

You think evolution is that simple? I suggest you have a closer look at Mushrooms. Bizarre developments in nature they are.

• Like 1

I've heard that a unprotected human could move through vacuum if they only were exposed for several seconds. It would seem to me that there would be skin damage, and eyeball damage done, hemorrhaging, but you'd live, for a while. Maybe long enough to be put into a bacta tank? Or cryo-frozen.

It's a bizarre mix, I am getting the impression that the OP thinks one can snap dry any life form by whacking it with a glancing blow from a comet comet and propagate a new planet with it.

• Like 1

It's a bizarre mix, I am getting the impression that the OP thinks one can snap dry any life form by whacking it with a glancing blow from a comet comet and propagate a new planet with it.

Something like that, it seems like.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

It seems reentry would be very harmful to prospective life. Has any experiments been conducted to show possibility of survival?

And I always thought it was better to exhale completely if headed into a vacuum.

• Like 1

That might actually be possible if the conditions on that planet are accommodating life ! It is that simple!

Edited by qxcontinuum

You'll still die

Eventually. Not immediately as Hollywood would have you believe.

That might actually be possible if the conditions on that planet are accommodating life ! It is that simple!

No it's not, go back to the link I left you. And do an image search on the picture I left you.

As life gets smaller, it gets harder, proportionally, the strongest inhabitants of this planet are the smallest and hardiest. The best minds that accept the hypothesis as plausible only consider it plausible for microbial life, the impact alone would kill most macro organisms.

Dumbing an idea down to get a handle on it is not a bad thing, but you have to respect the line where common sense is breached.

It seems reentry would be very harmful to prospective life. Has any experiments been conducted to show possibility of survival?

And I always thought it was better to exhale completely if headed into a vacuum.

Not sure how Tardigrades do it, but they have survived open space, of course, not all of the ones that were exposed to space survived, some did.

Not sure how Tardigrades do it, but they have survived open space, of course, not all of the ones that were exposed to space survived, some did.

They're able to survive in space due to their hibernation cycle, but exposed reentry would seem to be a problem. I know internally the space rocks don't heat up, but it'd seem to be hard for microorganisms to be in the safe interior of the meteorite, though I suppose a comet might be a better bet.

Most of what I've read talks about the building blocks of life, amino acids, not full lifeforms.

• Like 1