Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Campers encounter real-life 'Blair Witch'

UM-Bot

Two women got more than they bargained for when they camped out in the woods near Bristol.

Lola Swan and Kate Channon had set up their tent and camping equipment in dense woodland on the outskirts of the city in the hope of enjoying a relaxing night under the stars, but as darkness fell things started to take a turn for the worse.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ife-blair-witch

Dear oh dear.

It's foliage that's a lighter shade of green than what surrounds it. There's a similar patch of lighter foliage to the upper right of the "ghost". It looks absolutely nothing like a ghost or human figure or "blair witch". Seems these days you don't have to even try before you get a "ghost photo" published in some rag.

You know, I've seen the Blair Witch Project, and I think I remember that it involved a lot more than hearing people walking in a forest at night, losing a hammer, hearing a child's voice, going home and the next day finding a photograph of some light green coloured plants in a forest.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 9

Huh? BW? Oh, got it...

Bristol (England) = ghost

U.S. = bigfoot

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 4

baby cry noise = fox

snapping twigs = animal, probably fox or badger

ghost = seems broad daylight, so reflexing light from the sun

• Like 5

I've spent a lot of time in the woods in my years. All of their experiences are easily explained.

1) a lot of animals can make sounds that resemble a childs voice.

2) a returned whistle can be a bird

3) you set your hammer down and forgot where

4) twigs and limbs can fall down in the woods in a light breeze, it can sound like footsteps.

The mind creates pictures when it doesn't understand the stimulus it's receiving (unidentified noises, etc). These two obviously don't have much experience in the woods and their imaginations ran away from them

As for the picture *shrug* I don't see anything?

• Like 4

When you have to zoom in that much to see the "ghost" then you're trying too hard.

• Like 7

baby cry noise = fox

Foxes can also account for some of the stories people have of hearing high pitched women's screams in the night in remote areas. Foxes can make a variety of extremely weird noises.
  • Like 8

They don't look too much like experienced campers, more like newcomers.

• Like 2

This article has a few more photos in it... http://www.bristolpo...tail/story.html

One of the pics of of one of the gals standing in the woods around where she thinks the ghost was. Daytime shot, I figured it might be nice for comparison to the ghost pic.

Page won't load for me. Both Chrome and Firefox saying it's got a redirect loop that will prevent it from loading. :(
  • Like 1

When you have to zoom in that much to see the "ghost" then you're trying too hard.

True, but it still looked humanoid. Could have been someone playing a prank on them as well.

I am not impressed by the picture, which looks like a reflection of the sun on a pale trunk. If you look at other trees, such color can be noticed. Zooming it reveals strange forms and patterns, even a face but that can be explained by pareidolia.

''They set up during the day but as night fell they began hearing strange noises and felt like they were being watched.''

'‘Twigs and branches were cracking and breaking, like footsteps on the forest ground.’'

Wildlifes may explain the footsteps they heard as well as the strange noises around probably mistaken for a ''child's voice''. In a danse woodland that is to be expect, especially if you bring food with you. :)

I think it has been blown out of proportion, they even attributed the loss of a hammer to a paranormal occurance. Too easily some people jump to such conclusion but an objective look at the data does not suggest it. And the UK Metro journal obviously prefer sensational stories!

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

bigfeet

Witch Squatch!

It was a great story...

Until I read the article and saw the pictures.

• Like 5

They hauled a helluva lot of gear int the woods without getting even a bit of mud on their boots or messing up their yoga pants. That looks like a 10 foot wooden table giant hair is sitting at and they aren't lightweight.

ghost-1.jpg

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

They hauled a helluva lot of gear int the woods without getting even a bit of mud on their boots or messing up their yoga pants. That looks like a 10 foot wooden table giant hair is sitting at and they aren't lightweight.

ghost-1.jpg

Lol Merc.. I'm pretty sure the nicer pics of them were taken after the fact by the news reporter for the sake of the story, and not taken by the gals while camping.

And looking at the pics, the bench is part of the campsite, and not something they brought in with them.

That's how I'd look if I went camping. Pantene shampoo is your friend people. I wouldn't know any better. Actually I wouldn't look half that I dunno, stupid? No fur vests for me and I'd be covered in mosquito spray instead of hair spray. If you came near me with a match I'd explode.

And I wouldn't go camping with a girlfriend. That's one of those things a guy talks you into and then is there at night to tell you what the sounds are. IMO

• Like 4

I'm surprised they didn't give the monster*any credit for some of the noises and misdeeds. It is behind the tent, circled in red, emerging from the earth of the campsite.

post-145966-0-04725000-1400170691_thumb.

(Click the pix in order to see it in the larger rendering of the pix.)

Edited by MyOtherAccount
  • Like 2

That's how I'd look if I went camping. Pantene shampoo is your friend people. I wouldn't know any better. Actually I wouldn't look half that I dunno, stupid? No fur vests for me and I'd be covered in mosquito spray instead of hair spray. If you came near me with a match I'd explode.

And I wouldn't go camping with a girlfriend. That's one of those things a guy talks you into and then is there at night to tell you what the sounds are. IMO

That made me chuckle. Thanks :D

• Like 2

*image removed*

That table is so long someone at the other end of it wouldn't be visible in the night, they probably just scared each other while eating dinner. ;)

• Like 3

That table is so long someone at the other end of it wouldn't be visible in the night, they probably just scared each other while eating dinner. ;)

they probably just realized there was no microwave.

• Like 3