Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teen faces life in prison over hash brownies

OverSword

They should just unilaterally legalize it. This is ridiculous. I'm an adult. Marijuana is legal for me to smoke where I live. Last night I got home from work, made a phone call to the local distributor, delivery guy came to the door, I showed him my identification, paid him some money, gave hime a tip like I would the pizza guy and proceeded to enjoy myself. That's Washington. In Texas you get five years to life for brownies.

read it here

• Like 3

I will agree with you. I personally no longer use the substance, but I see it as hardly worth an extended stay. Had he been a minor or taken it to school, I could see being strict about it. You know, like alcohol or tobacco. Outside of that, this is silly. Not your reaction, the legal BS.

The only reason for setneces like this are it's more cost effective for a privatized prison system to keep non-violent offenders locked up than murderers.

• Like 3

Texas is by far more socially conservative than Washington. There is also the issue of states rights vs big government. I agree that it isn't fair, but I generally have no sympathy for people that go to or live in an area with laws like this, break them, and then look to freedom in other areas as their defense.

• Like 2

He changed the ingredients:

Jacob Lavoro, a 19-year-old from Round Rock, Texas, was charged with a first degree felony because he used hash oil instead of marijuana, allowing the state to weigh the brownies as a whole — including the sugar, cocoa, butter and other ingredients — to calculate the weight of the drugs.

http://news.yahoo.com/life-in-prison-pot-hash-brownies-texas-150807587.html

Just another example how the drug laws are unjust.

This kids whole life is ruined because of a victim-less crime that only involved himself.

• Like 7

The only way he could truly be spending to the rest of his life in prison is if he decided to join a gang in there and kill some guards. Life sentences can, and are, reduced if you keep your nose clean, especially with non violent criminals.

Just saying.

• Like 1

The only way he could truly be spending to the rest of his life in prison is if he decided to join a gang in there and kill some guards. Life sentences can, and are, reduced if you keep your nose clean, especially with non violent criminals.

Just saying.

Do you think this guy should be in jail? Even for one night?

Personally I don't think society is safer with this "criminal" behind bars

• Like 4

Personally I don't think society is safer with this "criminal" behind bars

I agree in this case. However, it is the responsibility of a citizen of a given state to know and conform with the laws of that state. If a person wants to get high legally then moving to a state where it is accepted is the answer. OR lobby for a change in the state laws.
  • Like 1

I guess the only thing holding USA together as one big country is the comfort status quo brings, people love comfort.. just seems otherworldly and like an unexplained mystery that a country with so different "mini-countries" inside it could still hold up as one. I guess it goes to show you have strong patriotism, for better and worse.

• Like 2

yep, over 500 gramms, 25 to life. and since he was selling, he'll go as a dealer, mandatory sentances,

if he was eathing them himself most likely no one would even know, but once you start selling....

I'll tell you the same thing I told the judge years ago which gave me my exit from jury duty: I don't think I can be here to judge this drug dealer, as I am an addict and have had problems with drugs in my past, and therefore cannot judge a seller of drugs fairly.

Marijuana stole the most formative years of my life, and led me down a road that set me 11 years behind the rest of normal young adults in the world. I really dislike sellers of artificial highs. It might be okay for sporadic day trippers who carry on their normal lives, but for addicts, 'harmless' drugs can ruin our life.

• Like 6

I guess the only thing holding USA together as one big country is the comfort status quo brings, people love comfort..

That's why sales of nicotine, alcohol, and marijuana have always been the biggest in the country.. well, world.

All artificial comfort.

I'll tell you the same thing I told the judge years ago which gave me my exit from jury duty: I don't think I can be here to judge this drug dealer, as I am an addict and have had problems with drugs in my past, and therefore cannot judge a seller of drugs fairly.

Marijuana stole the most formative years of my life, and led me down a road that set me 11 years behind the rest of normal young adults in the world. I really dislike sellers of artificial highs. It might be okay for sporadic day trippers who carry on their normal lives, but for addicts, 'harmless' drugs can ruin our life.

You just told my story for me...

HOLY CRAMOLY.....Round Rock is where I live.....what pizza place was it? (Just curious, I promise.)

• Like 2

Yes very well said.

But I still feel a world where booze is legal and pot is a class one substance is a very warped and sick world.

• Like 6

But I still feel a world where booze is legal and pot is a class one substance is a very warped and sick world.

At least small amounts of alcohol can be good for you.

I have no problem with pot for medical uses, but smoking it is just plain old stupid imho. (As is smoking anything i might add).

As for the young man's sentence? Yes it is extreme. But you don't commit a crime in a state with such laws, then act all surprised when you receive such sentence...just saying.

• Like 1

HOLY CRAMOLY.....Round Rock is where I live.....what pizza place was it? (Just curious, I promise.)

Is that just curious as to what they taste like?

Was just wondering, do your pizza places do the there in 30 minutes or you get your money back as well as the pizza? Wonder if he offeredd this service too?

At least small amounts of alcohol can be good for you.

I have no problem with pot for medical uses, but smoking it is just plain old stupid imho. (As is smoking anything i might add).

Ever smoked a brownie?
  • Like 1

Ever smoked a brownie?

Probably has the same side affects of lowering your IQ...

Ever smoked a brownie?

I guess its what goes in it which makes the difference, well according to this article. I have smoked a brownie, but once smoked one with jebus who knows was in it, was out of it for 2 days. This was all a very long time ago, but I must say, I feel sorry for the youths of today because they are being sold some very weird and what should be classed as illegal ****e today, nothing like the old and real stuff. They are being sold chemical based products which should never be out there and anyone selling it should be locked up..imo.

Just saying.

That's true in many cases. At the other extreme of the spectrum, some people are sentenced to death for a murder that they didn't commit.

Ever smoked a brownie?

No, but I once snorted a cupcake. Talk about a sugar high!

• Like 1

In other news, a 16 year old teen has multiple DUI's and kills 4 people and only gets 10 years probation because he "grew up too rich". Gotta love the logic of some of these judges...

• Like 3

Marijuana didn't "steal" anything from you. You choose to give them to marijuana. It was your choice. Maybe you can't deal with pot. Many can't deal with alcohol. Doesn't mean either should be denied to the rest of us just because some people can't handle them.

PS I know a lot, and I mean a lot, of people that smoke pot everyday and are functioning members of society. Never knew anyone that got "addicted" to pot.

• Like 4