Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australian PM and the "wink"

Astra.

Tony Abbott (The Australian PM) was confronted today as he tried to sell his tough budget to an angry pensioner who says she must work on an

"Adult Sex Line" just to get by.

What was the "wink" really about PM?

http://www.news.com....r-1226925020644

• Like 1

I guess people who have been through deprivation with no government help tend to be less sympathetic. Save while you are young or expect a bleak old age.

• Like 1

He is, incidentally, the minister for women as well as PM.

Most of the country is hoping for a double dissolution before Christmas.

• Like 3

I guess people who have been through deprivation with no government help tend to be less sympathetic. Save while you are young or expect a bleak old age.

Do you mean people who have 'not' been through deprivation etc Frank?

If so, then I totally agree. As far as I am concerned he could not have cared less about this woman's situation.The true character of the man has certainly plummeted in my book.

He is naturally trying to "back tail" on this issue. But the camera caught his obnoxious true colours, and I'm glad that it did.

• Like 2

Do you mean people who have 'not' been through deprivation etc Frank?

If so, then I totally agree. As far as I am concerned he could not have cared less about this woman's situation.The true character of the man has certainly plummeted in my book.

He is naturally trying to "back tail" on this issue. But the camera caught his obnoxious true colours, and I'm glad that it did.

Now if only it would make some real prime time coverage - but of course the Murdoch and Co consortium of media interests aren't gonna let that happen.

• Like 2

Now if only it would make some real prime time coverage - but of course the Murdoch and Co consortium of media interests aren't gonna let that happen.

Haha..still, they'll milk it for a while.... just like they did with his budgie smugglers. :innocent::-*

People in rich countries sometimes really get me how they expect to be taken care of but they don't give a thought to foreigners.

• Like 1

People in rich countries sometimes really get me how they expect to be taken care of but they don't give a thought to foreigners.

We pay taxes for our country to be governed for it's citizens. Each country does the same, it isn't about how anyone feels about foreigners it is about making ends meet. I don't go knocking on my next door neighbours door and comparing income then saying ok I have "x" more than you, would you like some? They don't knock on mine either, but if either of us screamed the other would come running (I hope) and give what help we could.

• Like 2

I have always believed that one needs to take care of their own backyard first....also charity begins at home.

Countries like Australia have always been pretty generous with aide to less fortunate countries.

It's a total scam set up by the childish former Government, after all, schoolyard bickering tactics are their speciality.

She HAS to work in sex does she?? BS, Try seek dot com. She is also President of the Bullimba Bowls club - does she need to do sex work to pay her membership??

The former PM set her up to do it - LINK Cranky granny who grilled PM Tony Abbott over the Federal Budget on Wake Up not what she seems

In a campaign flyer for Mr Rudd, Mrs Ward is quoted as saying: “I know Kevin is genuine about helping other people in our local community. If you care about our community, I urge you to support Kevin. He’s one of us.”

Mr Rudd has also posted photos on Facebook of him and Vilma, who is president of the Bulimba Seniors Citizens Club.

In 2010 after Julia Gillard rolled Mr Rudd for the Labor leadership, Mr Rudd was keen to have a warm welcome back to Brisbane for the cameras. Who you gonna call?

Well, Vilma, of course!

The event was presented as a spontaneous welcome home party, but Vilma let slip to the media that the whole thing was organised by Mr Rudd’s electoral office.

“I’m going to kill you. It was at half past five last night that I knew about this,” she was seen saying to Mr Rudd.

She explained to journalists that Mr Rudd’s people had phoned her the night before, asking her to organise the event.

They go way back it seems!

What I see here is that the Labor Government still have a great deal of growing up to do yet.

Edited by psyche101

Some of the messages above make we wonder if people think they inhabit a different planet or are different species.

• Like 1

It's a total scam set up by the childish former Government, after all, schoolyard bickering tactics are their speciality.

She HAS to work in sex does she?? BS, Try seek dot com. She is also President of the Bullimba Bowls club - does she need to do sex work to pay her membership??

The former PM set her up to do it - LINK Cranky granny who grilled PM Tony Abbott over the Federal Budget on Wake Up not what she seems

In a campaign flyer for Mr Rudd, Mrs Ward is quoted as saying: “I know Kevin is genuine about helping other people in our local community. If you care about our community, I urge you to support Kevin. He’s one of us.”

Mr Rudd has also posted photos on Facebook of him and Vilma, who is president of the Bulimba Seniors Citizens Club.

In 2010 after Julia Gillard rolled Mr Rudd for the Labor leadership, Mr Rudd was keen to have a warm welcome back to Brisbane for the cameras. Who you gonna call?

Well, Vilma, of course!

The event was presented as a spontaneous welcome home party, but Vilma let slip to the media that the whole thing was organised by Mr Rudd’s electoral office.

“I’m going to kill you. It was at half past five last night that I knew about this,” she was seen saying to Mr Rudd.

She explained to journalists that Mr Rudd’s people had phoned her the night before, asking her to organise the event.

They go way back it seems!

What I see here is that the Labor Government still have a great deal of growing up to do yet.

So Psyche....your saying that the woman who claimed to be "Gloria" ie: the on line sex worker was really Vilma whom was set up by the prior PM Kevin Rudd?

Hence Abbott's wink? ;)

Some of the messages above make we wonder if people think they inhabit a different planet or are different species.

What makes you say that Frank, can you be more specific please?

Hmm! that's funny....nothing in this latest article to confirm that "Granny Gloria" was really Kevin Rudd's old pal "Vilma" being used as a set up?

Sure your not barking up the wrong tree there Psyche ??

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-22/sex-line-grandmother-says-pms-reaction-sleazy/5469488

What makes you say that Frank, can you be more specific please?

Things like "charity begins at home" as though the world were not our home and "we pay taxes for our country," (which simply means "for me, I don't care about you"). The selfishness of rich countries where the poorest have it great sometimes nauseates me -- especially their trade policies and their ways of preventing poor countries from allowing their workers to also make a "decent wage". Folks we are all on the same planet and such beggar thy neighbor attitudes are foolish besides selfish and in the end hurt everyone.
  • Like 1

Things like "charity begins at home" as though the world were not our home and "we pay taxes for our country," (which simply means "for me, I don't care about you"). The selfishness of rich countries where the poorest have it great sometimes nauseates me -- especially their trade policies and their ways of preventing poor countries from allowing their workers to also make a "decent wage". Folks we are all on the same planet and such beggar thy neighbor attitudes are foolish besides selfish and in the end hurt everyone.

Well, I can understand where you are coming from. And in a perfect world it would be awesome if there were fairness and equality for everyone on the planet. But sadly, it is not. Believe me, Australia itself has it's own problems..... people still on waiting lists for housing, unemployment and the tax payers continually footing the bill.

As I have said before, Australia does it's best to help with foreign aide to the poorer countries and so do other Western countries.

But, really...there is only so much that other countries can do....we don't have a magic wand to "fix things" for the less fortunate.

But, we certainly do our fair share to help.

Foreign aid is not the solution; the money gets wasted or lost to corruption. What is needed is free trade allowing those willing to work the hardest for the least money to get the sale. If there is to be foreign aid it should be for specific purposes and carefully audited by the giver.

• Like 2

And the Prime Minister is likely to have been through deprivation?

So Psyche....your saying that the woman who claimed to be "Gloria" ie: the on line sex worker was really Vilma whom was set up by the prior PM Kevin Rudd?

Hence Abbott's wink? ;)

LOL - NO - that is is a common tactic used before

It came from YOUR link!!!! She is not president of the Bowls club, I did misread that, you are right there, but the rest of the info is in your link. Go past the video - there are three pictures, just above the third one this is all explained. Starts with:

Other readers on social media have questioned if Gloria was just a pensioner - or if she was possibly Labor affiliated.

You are telling me this is not a stunt??

He responded by saying he “absolutely” understood she was doing it tough and insisted she would still pocket carbon tax compensation even when it is axed.

“But you don’t give a stuff though do you.”

When Mr Faine asked her to “keep it nice”, Gloria hit back.

“But I don’t feel very nice about you Mr Abbott.”

That's premeditated.

Have a look at the second link you provided it says Gloria made $2.00 "last night" She makes ends meet on $2:00 a night does she?

You claim to be a Queenslander - do you believe the only work Gloria could possibly get was as a sex worker? Be honest. Do you feel $2:00 a night is actually helping her? Something she "needs" to do? She has to supplement the $200:00 a week she has after paying her rent with $14:00 a week talking dirty on the phone?

Ya know, I think she might just be trying to swing the aged vote don't you? How many people have you heard say "My father and mother voted labor, so did Grandad, so I vote Labor too".

Sorry, just no, I think she is taking the p***. I know plenty single Mums, none of them "have" to work as a sex worker to make ends meet, and they provide for Children. You think $200.00 a week after rent is paid is unfair? Seems reasonable to me for doing nothing, that's why the rest of us invest in Super.

Reading the post back though, I did type that a bit quick, and I see what you are saying, you have a good point and it does sound like that. Thank you for the opportunity to clarify.

Edited by psyche101

Foreign aid is not the solution; the money gets wasted or lost to corruption. What is needed is free trade allowing those willing to work the hardest for the least money to get the sale. If there is to be foreign aid it should be for specific purposes and carefully audited by the giver.

The hardest workers for the least money just drive the market down until it is unlivable. Workers in African Diamond mines work for like $2.00 a day.

Skill is hard to attain, and I feel should be rewarded accordingly.

Foreign aid is indeed a waste of money. Look at what happened in Aceh in 2004.

Edited by psyche101

It's tough. Giving free handouts and such needs to go to the right people... To the wrong people you can see what they do with it, same to the right people. Different types of people should be administered different types of aid. Applying this though in a poor, foreign country is damned near impossible. Because of simple lack of control.

I get a little tired of your assumptions Frank. I have no idea what you are banging on about or what it has to do with the topic. You do not speak for me or what I meant about why I pay taxes. Paying my taxes covers all government services and it is an impost that I labour hard for, so I expect results and to be the beneficiary of a fair modicum of those results. If you pay into something, whatever it is you expect a return. Another part of the return I expect from the Government is to behave as a responsible and compassionate global citizen.

It has ZERO to do with how I feel about "foreigners" or whatever it is you are going on about - selfish? No what is selfish is standing on a high horse with an air of expectation from others on the one hand and a hefty dose of judgement on the other. Inequities on a global scale have global organisations to deal with them - which the tax dollar also ultimately contributes to. If you want me personally to do something, you're getting a bit rich with your rhetoric because I simply am not qualified in exactly the same way others are not qualified doctors or lawyers or teachers. That's as far as tarring and feathering me as you get to go.

Except, Psyche, we're not talking about any Labor(sic) traps being set around Abbott, we're talking about him giving a smarmy wink when told "I'm a pensioner, who is dying and who has to work on a sex line to make ends meet".

It doesn't matter if you think it's a set up, you respond like a professional politician and offer empty platitudes not leer and wink which just adds to the already bulging critique of the man that he's a sexist pig.

It was probably a set up sure. If you respond like it's genuine what's the worse that could happen? You can spin your reaction as that of someone who genuinely does care. We stun me if that isn't what pollies are going for every day of their snouts in the trough professional lives.

• Like 3

Except, Psyche, we're not talking about any Labor(sic) traps being set around Abbott, we're talking about him giving a smarmy wink when told "I'm a pensioner, who is dying and who has to work on a sex line to make ends meet".

It doesn't matter if you think it's a set up, you respond like a professional politician and offer empty platitudes not leer and wink which just adds to the already bulging critique of the man that he's a sexist pig.

But Abbott gave a reasonable explanation for the wink and smile, which he did not do in reply to Gloria, but at TV employee Jon. It seems to all be very much out of context to me. You feel he was not compassionate? The article states:

He responded by saying he “absolutely” understood she was doing it tough and insisted she would still pocket carbon tax compensation even when it is axed.

It's not anything Tony did that was wrong, people saw him make gestures at a Television employee, and some Bra Burning feminists took advantage of the moment and started calling him a creep, without ever asking him what he meant by it. We don't do guilty before innocent here, they should know that better than anyone.

As far as I know, this happened, and was blown out of proportion by some jumped up upstarts:

Mr Abbott said he was just reacting to his radio host when he winked and smiled.

A spokeswoman for Mr Abbott told Fairfax Media the wink was to assure the presenter he was happy to proceed with the call, but the Prime Minister later told Perth’s 6PR radio that he was simply reacting to Faine’s facial expression.

“It was a reaction to Jon, really,” Mr Abbott told Fairfax radio.

“Obviously it was an interesting call from someone who had an interesting story.

“Jon was smiling at me and I responded to him.

And labor tried to push that point too - stating Jon never winked first!!! But read it, Tony never said that either.

It's a witch hunt.

The wink scenario too is a set up, this entire episode stinks to high heaven.

It was probably a set up sure. If you respond like it's genuine what's the worse that could happen? You can spin your reaction as that of someone who genuinely does care. We stun me if that isn't what pollies are going for every day of their snouts in the trough professional lives.

He did respond in a genuine manner and was still shot down over a gesture to acknowledge an employee involved in the filming.

To me - as a voter, being able to see through such ruses is the mark of a good leader.

Gloria attacked Tony when he acknowledged her plight. Her attack was premeditated, and her mind made up. She was not going to accept reasonable responses no matter what. Her words were:

But I don’t feel very nice about you Mr Abbott.

That's personal, not Governmental. Emotional, what stirs people up? Emotion. Labor knows this very well, and is why the "Friended" every Aussie they could on Facebook. Ohh, Kevin cares about me!! And it worked. Not on me though.

I know people suffer, but I know people take advantage of any plight they can exaggerate too - my ex had an older sister who had a son with a heart condition. She would walk into any place - a bank, Maccas you name it, and just shove herself at the front of the line and demand immediate service, and when people reacted she would go ballistic screaming how her son had a heart condition and she does not have the time to wait for others. She always got her way too. Never deserved to once though. And her life would have been much better if she gave the drink less of a nudge too. With Gloria, the Medical condition being supported by a whopping $14.00 a week sounds awful fishy to me.

I think she needs to look at what she is doing - if she has chronic medical conditions, Centrelink will assist her, you and I know that. But to say that Tony ONLY gives her $200 a week AFTER she has paid rent, seems rather ungrateful to me. It's not a great deal granted, but it's free. Where else you going to get that in the world today?

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Should Tony Dumb Dumb address the course this woman's life has taken her into particulars on that call? This lady...what was Tony supposed to say?

I think he's just surprised that caller wasn't screened better by the host. And the wink looks like him reassuring one of his handlers or friends.

I don't even know what a sex line is? Telephone sex?

And why does one add the word "adult" to the words "sex line"? Is there another kind?

• Like 1