Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spartan max2

Court ruling:Military allowed to force feed p

10 posts in this topic

So the court decided that you are allowed to force feed Guantanamo prisoners when they go on huger strikes. Keep in mind that this one is about a ruling for ONE specific prisoner. I guess prisoners have the right to challenge in court. But in this case the court ruled that it is allowed for this prisoner.

Whats peoples thoughts on force feeding prisoners at Guantanamo so that they dont starve themselves out?

WASHINGTON — A U.S. District Court judge lifted an order late yesterday that had barred the military from force-feeding a hunger-striking Guantanamo Bay detainee.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/national_world/2014/05/24/military-allowed-to-force-feed-detainee.html

How can we keep them in jail forever without a trial if they kill themselves by starvation?

1 person likes this

The entire institution is a blight on the American judicial system anyway, and has badly tarnished the US's international standing. Guantanamo will be poisoning US Foreign Relations for many decades to come.

Good luck geting help in your next war, because many European nations will be constitutionally forced NOT to help due to Guantanamo.

Force-feed them by all means. Torture them. Kill them. Do what you want. What difference does it make ? You can't clean the stain on your Constitution.

They should be put before military tribunals if they were collected on the battlefield. Then either executed or released. I have zero problem with executing them if they were caught in the act of killing US or coalition forces but if there is any doubt of that connection then they should be convicted if evidence is sufficient and then placed in prison in THIS country to serve sentence - away from regular prison population. Gitmo should be closed but that doesn't mean those there should be repatriated to start killing again.

1 person likes this

They should be put before military tribunals if they were collected on the battlefield. Then either executed or released. I have zero problem with executing them if they were caught in the act of killing US or coalition forces but if there is any doubt of that connection then they should be convicted if evidence is sufficient and then placed in prison in THIS country to serve sentence - away from regular prison population. Gitmo should be closed but that doesn't mean those there should be repatriated to start killing again.

To clarify - since I'm certain someone will vilify me for my willingness to execute these people - I ALSO think that a new form of the Geneva conventions should be considered. We should look at combatants from irregular forces like the Taliban and al Qaeda as soldiers and decide how they should be treated in light of this new form of warfare we are fighting.

Doesn't the Geneva Convention already cover "soldiers out of uniform" and "partisans" (basically - segregate them from soldiers captured in uniform but treat them like all other POWs).

It comes across as a schizophrenic ruling, IMO.

First she rules they can't do it, then she orders it done. :cry:

Well the prisoners could try kill themselves through holding their excrement and urine from coming out, it shouldn't be healthy for them. If they can endure that pain and are willing. So I guess they'll do something about that too in future, like politely and in appropriate fashion by the protocol place a tube in their rectum, pump water in whether the prisoner wants it or not, and let the excrement flush away. As well as give them sleeping meds so they soil themselves while sleeping, to force the urine out. And if prisoners try kill themselves by holding their breath, they can always force them to breathe with hospital equipment.

I dont care if it's against the law or not, I couldn't care less. Any living being just should not be treated like that. There's a limit after which you should stop with the restrains.

1 person likes this

This is one of those things that iv changed views on in the past couple years (Iv changed a bit of views in the past couple years, but im 20 now I know more lol )

Sadly I use to be all for doing whatever to the "terrorist" we had in Guantanamo to get information out of them. Because after all they are the enemy and getting info could save our peoples lives. I really cant put a figure on when my view started to change or what caused it. Like with all people when you change views on something it is a slow process, You start having thoughts you use to not have and when you defend the view you just dont feel the conviction behind the words you are saying anymore. Thats kind of how it went with my view on this. Maybe it was part of the more libertarian thinking that ended up changing my view.

But anyways now my view is that torture and the things we do at Guantanamo to people is just horrible. Force feeding someone because they are trying to end their own life through starvation is just so sicking. I use to feel that when someone did something so horrible like blow innocent people up that they loose all their human rights because they didn't respect the rights of others. But now I see that even the worst of criminals should still have their humans rights and not be force fed and treated in horrible ways. But I still support the death penalty, just for the record.

1 person likes this

The entire institution is a blight on the American judicial system anyway,

you do not know the half of it. it is even worst when it comes to domestic issues.

those Americans that can see thing for themselves do not call it judicial system, but prison cartel.

1 person likes this