Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Still Waters

[merged] Suspended animation trials begin

8 posts in this topic

Doctors are set to recreate a sci-fi technique as they begin suspended animation by freezing trauma victims in the hope of keeping them alive.

The technique will be used on ten patients who would otherwise be expected to die from their wounds, which will likely come from stabbings or shootings. The doctors on the project will be paged when a patient is likely to fit the procedure. There is around one such case every month, and they have a survival rate of less than 7 per cent.

http://www.independe...in-9435005.html

The technique will be used on ten patients who would otherwise be expected to die from their wounds, which will likely come from stabbings or shootings.

Because the patients will be unable to give consent to the procedure, researchers will instead run a publicity campaign to allow potential patients to opt out. Locals will be able to order bracelets to indicate that they don’t consent.

Someone please explain how this could be legal and how they are going to do this? So basically anyone who could be in a position of being stabbed or shot (which could be everyone) will have to wear a bracelet if they do not wish to be used as part of this Frankenstein experiment?

Wonder how many gang members are being closely watched by these "doctors" Burke and Hare employees ready to check if they have a bracelet or not!

I'm a bit skeptical that removing all of someone's blood will prevent brain damage...

Because the patients will be unable to give consent to the procedure, researchers will instead run a publicity campaign to allow potential patients to opt out. Locals will be able to order bracelets to indicate that they don’t consent.

So they're saying anyone that doesn't want to be medically experimented on will need to wear a bracelet saying so? I guess it's good they experimented on pigs first, but how can they tell the cognitive effects from that? I'm not saying I have a better idea, and this is a good technique to develop, but they seem to be going about it the wrong way.

by pumping a large volume of cold fluid through a tube placed in the aorta,

The doctors on the project will be paged when a patient is likely to fit the procedure.

So if a shooting victim has his head blown off, of a stabbing victim has still got the knife sticking out of their heart, i take it they will not "fit the procedure"?

Something tells me these "doctors" are already trying this behind closed doors. The bracelet bit is just to cover their asses!

From the OP Link:

The technique has been successfully used on pigs. In experiments, scientists simulated gunshot wounds by inducing fatal wounds in the animals and simulating medical procedure. While all the pigs that weren’t cooled died from the wounds, 90% of pigs that were cooled at a medium rate survived. The surviving pigs had no long-term physical or cognitive problems.

90% of pigs survived sounds pretty good to me.

I hope this leads to life extending technology for manned trips to Mars and the outer solar system.

by pumping a large volume of cold fluid through a tube placed in the aorta,

The doctors on the project will be paged when a patient is likely to fit the procedure.

So if a shooting victim has his head blown off, of a stabbing victim has still got the knife sticking out of their heart, i take it they will not "fit the procedure"?

Something tells me these "doctors" are already trying this behind closed doors. The bracelet bit is just to cover their asses!

it's very unlikely they would freeze someone without a part of their head, that would be useless even if they resesitate him in 100 years, the pieces of his gray matter is gone and probably motor functions or even memories, no point in living. and i do suspect they would remove the knife since their criteria is very simple, people beyond saving is a match but not to far gone.

i would love to see how the world will look alike in 100 years :P

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

it's very unlikely they would freeze someone without a part of their head, that would be useless even if they resesitate him in 100 years, the pieces of his gray matter is gone and probably motor functions or even memories, no point in living. and i do suspect they would remove the knife since their criteria is very simple, people beyond saving is a match but not to far gone.

i would love to see how the world will look alike in 100 years :P

Maybe they have a representative going out and asking the gang members or crazed shooters to aim below the neck and preferable nowhere near the heart.

Also asking all shooters and stabbers to check their victims are not wearing the " bracelet", its imperative the victim is in a position to be fit for the procedure and in consent to being experimented with on the slab.

I really do not want to picture what these people will look like in a few hundred years to come if they succeed with this....not pretty, thats for sure.

Edited by freetoroam