Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jewish University Students In US, Unsafe

Earl.Of.Trumps

Jewish DePaul Student: 'I No Longer Felt Safe on This Campus'

http://www.breitbart...-on-This-Campus

Rachel added, “About two months ago when SJP (Students for Justice in Palestine) started the ‘DePaul Divest’ campaign, I no longer felt safe on this campus and I no longer felt I could be a proud Jewish student.”

---------------------------------------------------------

Jewish Students Report Intimidation as BDS Battle Ignites at University of Michigan

http://www.algemeine...ty-of-michigan/

Jewish students reported being intimidated and threatened at University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, ahead of a student senate meeting on Tuesday evening, where it will be decided if a vote, which had been indefinitely tabled, will be re-taken after a campus group promoting divestment in Israel staged a sit-in at the weekend to pressure student leaders.

----------------

It seems as though the youths of America are getting politically charged over the Israeli/Palestinian issue. Which, in my opinion, is good, because it forces people to look at the issues - the REAL issues, and see for themselves who is the real victim in the ME. The days of the American media dictating the American opinion inre, the ME may be coming to an end.

OK, lets re-arrange that a little.

"Activists leverage BDS campaign to ignite hatred towards individual Jewish students. "

Still cool with it ?

• Like 3

Because AMERICAN Jews have a HUGE amount of leverage in Israel.

Especially those pesky students.

• Like 2

Yeah, two months ago. There's already an existing thread about this. Probably in the US and America's forum.

Edit: No, couldn't find it there or in the Middle East forum. Maybe someone else can.

Edited by Likely Guy

OK, lets re-arrange that a little.

"Activists leverage BDS campaign to ignite hatred towards individual Jewish students. "

Still cool with it ?

I'm never cool with igotry

Because AMERICAN Jews have a HUGE amount of leverage in Israel.

Especially those pesky students.

If there is one, I have no problem with mods merging.

I do, however, think that this thread deserves to be in the ME forum because I clearly see things happening here

that DO reflect on Jews in the middle east, such as the "Eviction Notice".

But we'll see.

During a Tuesday afternoon public forum on campus about the Boycott Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign, freshmen student Ally (last name withheld) told a pro-Israel panel that as a Jewish student, she feels intimidated on the Lincoln Park campus. “I do kind of feel as a Jewish student that I am being targeted on campus. I feel that a lot of questions are being directed to me and I am constantly on the defensive on campus,” she explained. “I have to defend myself, my Judaism, my pride in Israel every day and it’s getting a little bit exhausting.”

It's clear she participates in politics on campus and feels compelled to defend her pride in Israel and she has every right to do that. If she's under constant bombardment on campus about her religion or ethnicity though, this should be documented and stopped.

I think the hidden message here is that people can't divest from the state of Israel or else it makes pro-Israel people unsafe. And besides, the questions are a little bit exhausting, kind of.

• Like 2

Singling anyone out - including Muslims - and denouncing them because of their political views is unacceptable on a college campus. It is NO ONE'S business what peaceful allegiances an individual may prefer in their life. This kind of behavior is just a form of bullying and when someone decides to shoot and maim or kill based on these distinctions it will be too late. The universities should be held legally accountable for not protecting all their students against such behavior.

• Like 2

It was always tough and unpleasant experience for me to see ordinary people have problems as a direct result of bad politics that their leaders have. 70 years of struggling in ME is too long period and its impossible to f$$k someone without getting one in your precious behind. Sry for my language.

Students must be protected and anyone who assault them should be punished and prevented to do it in future. I am afraid of what we can expect in future if that conflict in ME isnt solved and all this that happens ( no matter where in the world ) is result of that conflict in ME. It was nice to see pope Francis going there with his two friends of which one is jewish and other is muslim religion representative. That is nice message to be sent. Maybe he ( the Pope ) will have impact there, its now or never i am afraid.

• Like 3

Contrary to what some here have expressed, I see no problem with university-age students having their beliefs (religious and/or political) questioned or examined. If some students are crossing the line into harassment, then deal with that as a separate issue.

People have the right to believe what they will, and this includes believing that questioning another belief which appears to support discrimination/prejudice (as Judaism can) is one way to draw attention to the discrimination/prejudice.

Taking the line that "Hands off. We should leave people alone to believe what they will without question" is far, far more dangerous than allowing beliefs to be questioned or examined.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 2

Contrary to what some here have expressed, I see no problem with university-age students having their beliefs (religious and/or political) questioned or examined. If some students are crossing the line into harassment, then deal with that as a separate issue.

People have the right to believe what they will, and this includes believing that questioning another belief which appears to support discrimination/prejudice (as Judaism can) is one way to draw attention to the discrimination/prejudice.

Taking the line that "Hands off. We should leave people alone to believe what they will without question" is far, far more dangerous than allowing beliefs to be questioned or examined.

It is not the responsibility of a young college student to defend or even be coerced into discussing their beliefs on campus. If THEY raise the issue I see some justification but this young person is being bothered by other students. It isn't just awareness that is being raised. They are actually coming after her for her beliefs - making her defend them. This seems similar to me to that "eviction" notice outrage. When someone steps over the line (I know, college students NEVER do THAT) and harms or kills a student for their beliefs then the school should be sued RUINOUSLY.
  • Like 1

I'm finding the notion of age being brought up interesting. Most college students are adults. Depending on the school, 20-30 percentish of the student population can be over 25. Sometimes tec schools can have even more students that are older.

It is not the responsibility of a young college student to defend or even be coerced into discussing their beliefs on campus. If THEY raise the issue I see some justification but this young person is being bothered by other students. It isn't just awareness that is being raised. They are actually coming after her for her beliefs - making her defend them. This seems similar to me to that "eviction" notice outrage. When someone steps over the line (I know, college students NEVER do THAT) and harms or kills a student for their beliefs then the school should be sued RUINOUSLY.

I already stated that those who step over the line should be taken action against.

However, anyone is liable for having their beliefs questioned and I find your argument that university students should be 'protected' against such, as if they were delicate infants, to be little more than apologetics. People who believe Israel is as much to blame for the situation between them and the Palestinians, as the Palestinians are, should be allowed to protest peacefully (but that does not necessarily mean quietly, or without controversy), or promote their own views peacefully.

Edited by Leonardo

I already stated that those who step over the line should be taken action against.

However, anyone is liable for having their beliefs questioned and I find your argument that university students should be 'protected' against such, as if they were delicate infants, to be little more than apologetics. People who believe Israel is as much to blame for the situation between them and the Palestinians, as the Palestinians are, should be allowed to protest peacefully (but that does not necessarily mean quietly, or without controversy), or promote their own views peacefully.

Not on a college campus. It's the same as a captive audience and no group has a right to single out any other group for unwanted contact - period. This entire issue is about stepping over a line. If that student wants to discuss her ethnicity, politics or her favorite color then that's HER business. No one should be forced into discussing or defending such things. This isn't really even about Israel, it's about common courtesy.

They are, indeed!

Personally, I think that anyone who believes in Apartheid - Israeli style, should be forced to defend those beliefs.

Absolutely. Make them think about it a bit.

I'm finding the notion of age being brought up interesting. Most college students are adults. Depending on the school, 20-30 percentish of the student population can be over 25. Sometimes tec schools can have even more students that are older.

That would be me lol. How do I say this....

Ahhhhh, to me, rashore, anyone under 30 is young lol

Not on a college campus. It's the same as a captive audience and no group has a right to single out any other group for unwanted contact - period. This entire issue is about stepping over a line. If that student wants to discuss her ethnicity, politics or her favorite color then that's HER business. No one should be forced into discussing or defending such things. This isn't really even about Israel, it's about common courtesy.

"and then", you sound the fierce fighter for human rights here. Such a change!

What do you think of the "captive audience" otherwise known as Palestinian refugees kept *against their will* - out of their homes, and into a resettlement camps?

Still demanding rights for "captive audiences", or did you just change the channel?

You once told me you were not biased.

"and then" said: "no group has a right to single out any other group for unwanted contact - period."

Sure I can quote you on this, "and then"? I think the Zionists singled out Muslims in the Levant for a little more than "unwanted contact"

Bon chance!

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 2

Hold on, are these students actually under any threat, or do they equate criticism of Israel's domestic policies as anti-semitic and a personal racist attack?

I have a feeling that the reason these people feel "unsafe" and can no longer go about their business as "proud israeli's" is because they have been presented with information contrary to their beliefs/education.

• Like 1

"and then", you sound the fierce fighter for human rights here. Such a change!

What do you think of the "captive audience" otherwise known as Palestinian refugees kept *against their will* - out of their homes, and into a resettlement camps?

Still demanding rights for "captive audiences", or did you just change the channel?

You once told me you were not biased.

"and then" said: "no group has a right to single out any other group for unwanted contact - period."

Sure I can quote you on this, "and then"? I think the Zionists singled out Muslims in the Levant for a little more than "unwanted contact"

Bon chance!

Actually I have loud and often said I AM biased for the people of Israel. The statement I made here about this situation is not inconsistent in the slightest. If this were some group of rednecks hassling Muslims in school I'd say the same thing. NOT on campus. PERIOD. No one has a right to publicly vilify others in a situation where those on the receiving end cannot walk away. And the point that such action often can escalate is valid also. You also have made your views on Israel and Zionism quite clear and I oppose every point you make so discussing the issue with you is pointless. A day will come when hatred of Jews in the Levant will precipitate a global war. And when the dust settles the Palestinians STILL will not have any more land than they currently posses. They choose irreconcilable hatred over peace - they get what they deserve.
  • Like 1

Actually I have loud and often said I AM biased for the people of Israel. The statement I made here about this situation is not inconsistent in the slightest. If this were some group of rednecks hassling Muslims in school I'd say the same thing. NOT on campus. PERIOD. No one has a right to publicly vilify others in a situation where those on the receiving end cannot walk away. And the point that such action often can escalate is valid also. You also have made your views on Israel and Zionism quite clear and I oppose every point you make so discussing the issue with you is pointless. A day will come when hatred of Jews in the Levant will precipitate a global war. And when the dust settles the Palestinians STILL will not have any more land than they currently posses. They choose irreconcilable hatred over peace - they get what they deserve.

I can say a lots of things about your global war.But this would be pointless and off-topic so better I do not say anything

I can say a lots of things about your global war.But this would be pointless and off-topic so better I do not say anything

You're probably right about off topic. I'll happily engage if you want to discuss it. Civilly of course. It probably could be in Spirituality Religion and beliefs or Spirituality and Skepticism. My arguments about this war are mainly religious not political.

Hold on, are these students actually under any threat, or do they equate criticism of Israel's domestic policies as anti-semitic and a personal racist attack?

I have a feeling that the reason these people feel "unsafe" and can no longer go about their business as "proud israeli's" is because they have been presented with information contrary to their beliefs/education.

I did wonder about this myself.

If Jewish students are being stopped in the corridors and asked to justify Israeli national policy, then that is harassment.

If, on the other hand, they are merely having to walk past posters promoting the BDS campaign, then... tough.. that is university life.

Oh... unless, that is, the posters suggest Boycotting a Muslim country, in which case the posters constitute a Racist Apartheid Baby-Killing Act of Genocidal Racist Violence. The posters must be torn down, and the Bursar of the University stoned to death in the Main Square.

It goes without saying that if any posters are put up that are in ANY way critical of the Palestinians (and by critical, I mean anything less than fawningly obsequious, or any attempt to suggest that the Palestinians should have to share ANY responsibility for the situation), then the University Campus must immediately be sealed off, the student body locked in their rooms, and the Campus - and all within it - destroyed with Nuclear Munitions.

Sorry if some of you self-hating leftists find that I'm being a bit to wishy-washy and easy-going with my punishments. :P

• Like 3

I know of nothing "physical" that has happened yet, BUT..... the way sentiment has changed in recent years in America, tending more and more to be pro-Palestinian, I truly think things will continue to get worse and yes, I can understand how Jewish students think they are "unsafe". Just an opinion.

That's possible. In fact, it can infuriate them.

I once knew of a case where - at a workplace picnic, one man tried to explain to co-workers, that the reason why Americans are hated in the Middle East is because of America's never ending support of Israel.

This informing of the people so enraged a Jewish woman at the picnic, that she went right to upper management, calling the man who "informed", an Anti-Semite. words that move mountains!

The man was called in to explain himself, and as he told me, it was as if he was found guilty before he even had a chance to speak. He almost lost his job over this incident and was put "on watch". The Jewish woman, of course, would be considered totally innocent - *no mater what* for uttering those magic words, "Anti-Semite". Kinda' sick, huh?

So yes, mentioning information that hinders the support of "Oh, Israel" can make them claim they are in fear of their well being, all to "silence" such talk. Uh huh.

People are growing more and more tired of the BS, ya know?

Actually I have loud and often said I AM biased for the people of Israel.

Well, there is nothing wrong with the White Supremist group saying they love White people, too.

Just saying! :whistle:

The statement I made here about this situation is not inconsistent in the slightest.

ROFLMAO!!! :clap: "and then", you are a ball of contradictions. You admit you are Pro-Zionist biased but at the same time claim you believe in equal human rights for all people. Uh, huh.

IMPOSSIBLE!

If this were some group of rednecks hassling Muslims in school I'd say the same thing.

Slipping and sliding, are we...? So, as long as RedNeck MadDog Zionists don't touch University students in anyway, they can toss totally innocent people - *at gunpoint*, out of their homes. Men, women, children, all innocent, and some, most certainly - University students, BTW. The Zionists did it in Palestine, they are doing it too, in another way, in America.

http://mondoweiss.ne...-narrative.html

Israel wages war on universities because it’s lost control of the narrative — Hedges

Annie Robbins on March 19, 2014 25

chris-hedges_520.jpg

Chris Hedges

Chris Hedges’s recent article on Truthdig, Israel’s War on American Universities, documents Israel’s attempts to shut down political discourse on American campuses. He denounces billionaires, politicians, and alums willing to run roughshod over our First Amendment rights and chastises academics who’ve failed to protect students rights.

NOT on campus. PERIOD. No one has a right to publicly vilify others in a situation where those on the receiving end cannot walk away.

Yuh, UNLESS.... they are oh, precious Zionists, right? Then they can "vilify" moozie moozie MOOZlums (but not Christians) any time they feel like it. Will you please just STOP, "and then".

And the point that such action often can escalate is valid also. You also have made your views on Israel and Zionism quite clear and I oppose every point you make so discussing the issue with you is pointless.

I agree, it is pointless for us to see eye to eye, because your views are identical to those of a bigotted supremist.

A day will come when hatred of Jews in the Levant will precipitate a global war. And when the dust settles the Palestinians STILL will not have any more land than they currently posses. They choose irreconcilable hatred over peace - they get what they deserve.

Tell that to your Zionists buddies.

"and then", I have a hard time recalling, in an internet discussion, leaving my adversary so swinging on his own petard.

My I suggest you pray to God and ask where you went wrong?

Have a nice day.

Jeem, you're a good young man and your opinions would be respected.