Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain has ‘subculture’ of 15,000 vampires

Still Waters

this is what 'buffy the vampire slayer' has done to 150,000 modern day british citizens

The Movie or TV show? The Movie was Campy. After a while, I think the show started to take itself seriously. At least SMG lost her sense of humor she had in the early episodes.

I think the headline should have read "Britain has a subculture of 15,000 losers"

Sorry but contacts,makeup,and hairdye do not give you special powers!You are not "Special" in any way,get over it.

• Like 2

Egyptian vampires don't bite anyone in the neck. They use a sharpened Anhk(sp?) to slit the throat of their vic and then drink the blood. AKA Catherine Deneuve and David Bowie in "The Hunger"

I think the headline should have read "Britain has a subculture of 15,000 losers"

Sorry but contacts,makeup,and hairdye do not give you special powers!You are not "Special" in any way,get over it.

THey are special, just like everyone else.

Egyptian vampires don't bite anyone in the neck. They use a sharpened Anhk(sp?) to slit the throat of their vic and then drink the blood. AKA Catherine Deneuve and David Bowie in "The Hunger"

I think you meant they are human,just like everyone else

• Like 1

They are fake, there is nothing natural about the way they dress...so most definitely are not like everyone else.

I will have to remember if I get over there, ( I want to see Stonehenge someday. bucket list item) I do not want to say "bite me " to anyone.

15000 sounds about right. Oh, you meant the whole UK and not just London.

• Like 2

she looks absolutely ridiculous. hopefully she will grow up and realize that she's making herself into a laughing stock.

edit to add -

i also wonder what these people do for a living? they can't all be fantasy actors or clerks in a headshop.

Flobotomists :innocent:

Probably tatooists and people who telemarket from home.

Just a psychology teacher looking for a doctoral thesis. A few simple tests with sunlight, holy water and a crucifix ought to clear things right up. The stake thing might be a bit drastic.

I will have to remember if I get over there, ( I want to see Stonehenge someday. bucket list item) I do not want to say "bite me " to anyone.

Just there last month. Go in the daytime, you'll be fine!

Went to Whitby one week-end didn't know I was about to endure Goth weekend. I sure did learn a lot!

And yet, they exist as part of a uniquely British mythology, the forms they take within the folklore is unique to the Isles.

I'm sorry, but when I see that someone starts acting smart as if they're professional about it - it really gets on my nerves. No, all the creatures in British folklore are not unique to the British mythology (British mythology?!?!?!). Since you've already posted that they exist as part of uniquely British mythology, I'd like to hear what are those supernatural beings to begin with. For them to be unique, they'd need not to be borrowed from elsewhere and they'd need to be parts of the written literature, not a common folk-type telling, but I'd be satisfied even with that, I promise.

It's like that old joke about the English language, some languages evolve while English clubs other languages over the head and goes through their pockets looking for loose verbs.

English Folklore is a mongrel of Celtic, the Neolithic Mound Builders, the Vikings, the Danes, the Welsh (the first Britons after all, who are not Celts), the Henge builders who are as ancient as the pyramid builders, and so on all left a folkloric mark that mixed together to make what we have today as "British Folklore".

English or British? You see, I know Celtic mythology for one, and I know for the creatures which exist as parts of the Celtic mythology and while reading the literature I know to recognize the roots of the borrowed mythological creatures. Most of them are taken from Nordic countries. You can't call it "British" because it's not British. I understand that you'd like for them to be exclusive English folklore, however folklore is exclusive only to the people themselves and are of distinctive origins which aren't made nation-wise. A leprechaun is typically Irish. When I say Irish I refer to GAELIC Ireland up to XVII century. The entirety of the culture is strictly Celtic by default and all the Fairy stories, including the Leprechaun one, are drawn back to the Celtic mythology that's very similar to the Slavic mythology.

But if you insist on a WRITTEN folklore, then yes. Britain is a wasteland until Geoff of Monmouth created Arthur and Merlin.

But as oral folklore? Something kept alive by Mummers, Bards and drunken yokels who start sentences with "we don't like no strangers here"? Well... "ya'll be lookin' far tha beest of tha mooor...." every town has a beast every church was once assailed by none other the Old Nick himself, every hillock is where Arthur is buried and every tree is behind which some famous highwayman hid his ill gotten goods.

Exactly, no significant written folklore. Oral folklore is nice to hear, always, but literature is more prominent for factual sentences.

http://listverse.com...sles-mythology/

Here's a link for you too and have a pleasant day. No hard feelings, I hope.

Edited by Nenaraz

I can't believe there's so many pages talking about this!

• Like 1

It's unfortunate that some choose to degrade certain group of individuals based on prejudice. These people most likely do not have special powers, but in a free society, they have every right to their own belief system like everyone else. They are not criminials and pay their taxes as you do. They choose this kind of lifestyle and are happy with it, so why should they be treated as looser?

And by the way, it is my view that everyone is special in is own way. May it be a Vampire or not. :)

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

I can't believe there's so many pages talking about this!

If you can't believe this,then look up the ancient aliens thread.Talk about a doozy :lol:

• Like 1

It's unfortunate that certain persons choose to degrade certain group of individuals based on prejudice. These people most likely do not have special powers, but in a free society, they have every right to their own belief system. They are not criminial and pay their taxes as you do. So why should they be treated as looser?

Think you are reading a bit to far into the bleeding hearts society their hoss,i dont give a damn what they think they are.They are exactly the same thing me and you are....Human!

Yet ask one of them....oh no they are on a different level lmao.....OK :lol:

It's all fun and games until one of them gets hepatitis.

• Like 2

I went to high school with someone who thought they were a vampire. He's over it now (i'm pretty sure). It's just freakier when it continues into adulthood..

I'm sorry, but when I see that someone starts acting smart as if they're professional about it - it really gets on my nerves. No, all the creatures in British folklore are not unique to the British mythology (British mythology?!?!?!). Since you've already posted that they exist as part of uniquely British mythology, I'd like to hear what are those supernatural beings to begin with. For them to be unique, they'd need not to be borrowed from elsewhere and they'd need to be parts of the written literature, not a common folk-type telling, but I'd be satisfied even with that, I promise.

English or British? You see, I know Celtic mythology for one, and I know for the creatures which exist as parts of the Celtic mythology and while reading the literature I know to recognize the roots of the borrowed mythological creatures. Most of them are taken from Nordic countries. You can't call it "British" because it's not British. I understand that you'd like for them to be exclusive English folklore, however folklore is exclusive only to the people themselves and are of distinctive origins which aren't made nation-wise. A leprechaun is typically Irish. When I say Irish I refer to GAELIC Ireland up to XVII century. The entirety of the culture is strictly Celtic by default and all the Fairy stories, including the Leprechaun one, are drawn back to the Celtic mythology that's very similar to the Slavic mythology.

Exactly, no significant written folklore. Oral folklore is nice to hear, always, but literature is more prominent for factual sentences.

http://listverse.com...sles-mythology/

Here's a link for you too and have a pleasant day. No hard feelings, I hope.

I was reading something the other day that said Ireland wasn't Celtic, it was Irish (for want of a better word) as the Celtic immigrants fleeing the Romans never made it across the Irish Sea.

Or that might have been the Orkney Islands, the book was about them both and I may have confused the two.

And I've no problems being told "you're talking cobblers" by someone more informed then I am.

I do disagree that something that takes on a new form, which you as much as say when you talk about seeing the "roots" of the concept elsewhere, that is not found in that form elsewhere isn't "unique".

Look at Dracula. The version of the character we see in the book is unique to that book, even if made up from bits and bobs taken from history and other folklore. We move onto the Chris Lee Dracula, that's "unique" to it's own folklore although built from other sources.

Although you can see features of English folklore in European folklore, are those features EXACTLY the same?

Can I read a story about a Bogart from Europe and know that it's a Bogart based on my understanding of English folklore? Are they the same being, obeying exactly the same "rules" and featuring in the same sort of stories? Because I know bog all about European folklore beyond certain surface details.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1

yep, they sure do make me wonder...wtf!:

goth-girls.jpg

Thats nothing...

vampire-woman-gets-horns-implanted.png

858d6c4ccda8f6c3d30cfc762382a17a.jpg

131105162105-01-body-modifications-restricted-horizontal-gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Thats nothing...

vampire-woman-gets-horns-implanted.png

858d6c4ccda8f6c3d30cfc762382a17a.jpg

131105162105-01-body-modifications-restricted-horizontal-gallery.jpg

There are times when you CAN judge a book by its cover. Do not care if people say "but they are such nice people", sorry, i think inside has deeper problems than out side for these sell made freaks.

• Like 2

This is old news, the U.S. has a vampire culture as well. I do not see what the hoopla is all about. No I am not a vampire myself in case it gets asked

• Like 1

There are times when you CAN judge a book by its cover. Do not care if people say "but they are such nice people", sorry, i think inside has deeper problems than out side for these sell made freaks.

The mere fact that you refer to them as "Books" is far too kind. How can someone be a book when all that there's to see is on the cover itself?

Edited by Nenaraz

The mere fact that you refer to them as "Books" is far too kind. How can someone be a book when all that there's to see is on the cover itself?

The most interesting thing about Twilight is the cover ...

• Like 3