Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mammoth kill sites link to dog domestication

Still Waters

A new analysis of European archaeological sites containing large numbers of dead mammoths and dwellings built with mammoth bones has led Penn State Professor Emerita Pat Shipman to formulate a new interpretation of how these sites were formed.

She suggests that their abrupt appearance may have been due to early modern humans working with the earliest domestic dogs to kill the now-extinct mammoth.

http://www.pasthoriz...moth-kill-sites

• Like 1

If this is true, who let the dogs out?

• Like 3

Coating the tips of their weapons with poisonous substances would be enough to take one down

If this is true, who let the dogs out?

Good one!

• Like 1

Interesting article. Makes sense too given the long history of reliance on dogs for hunting by our ancestors. No reason why even earlier in our past, that our progenitors shouldn't have discovered the benefits too!

I don't know...I have a hard time digesting the fact that small pockets of humans armed with primitive weapons were responsible for wiping out untold numbers of massive, powerful beasts. Even with dogs. Maybe in conjunction with climate change and other factors but just humans? Ehh... :unsure2:

• Like 1

Heard so many theories stating what wiped out the Mammoths,a bit like picking straws or is that clutching?

Well the dog belonging to our former neighbours nearly drove us to extinction with his unceasing barking, so that might be a good theory.

The dogs must have been ecstatic with the size of bones they could chew on.

^ yup. i think maybe wolves started hanging around scavenging the leftovers .. which probably put them on the menu as well?

Eventually, they got used to each other , and learned to be mutually beneficial?

Its common knowledge what killed mammoths dinosaurs ect answer a catastrofic meteor strike on the earth plain and simple no mystery bout itt

Its common knowledge what killed mammoths dinosaurs ect answer a catastrofic meteor strike on the earth plain and simple no mystery bout itt

Interesting first post...

There is over 64 Million years between the extinction of Dinosaurs and Woolly Mammoths but hey, welcome to UM Posner :)

Edit: Woolly added

Edited by Junior Chubb

Its common knowledge what killed mammoths dinosaurs ect answer a catastrophic meteor strike on the earth plain and simple no mystery bout itt

Dino's and Mammoth's are separated by Millions of year . So I would have to disagree .

This is why I am a cat person.

When was the last time you read about cats helping with anything? Much less an extinction?

• 2 weeks later...

This is why I am a cat person.

When was the last time you read about cats helping with anything? Much less an extinction?

Maybe, but my childhood recollection on Mammoth illustrations usually have Sabre Tooth Cats attacking them, according to these artist illustrations Mammoths always had a Cat on their back sinking their claws and sabres into them.

Shocking stuff considering how well they get along in Ice Age. ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb