Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5
Still Waters

Dyatlov Pass incident: 'Russian Yeti' ?

182 posts in this topic

Investigators baffled by the unexplained and gruesome deaths of Russian college students decades ago have come up with a new suspect, albeit an unlikely one: the Yeti.

A new documentary, "Russian Yeti: The Killer Lives" airing June 1 on the Discovery Channel explores the remote possibility that a "menk" -- the Russian word for Yeti -- may have been responsible.

http://www.huffingto..._ref=weird-news

Its not the first time the yeti has been suggested,along with ufos,Soviet super weapons and Siberian natives.I favour the avalanche theory myself

3 people like this

From what I remember reading, there's too many things, details about the conditions of the bodies, that don't immediately seem consistent with... well, whatever would be consistent with a violent physical attack by a giant mythical beast, I guess, at least, assuming you take the official Russian reports at face value. I know professional fighters can hit with a lot of force, but in the relatively small area of a fist or foot's impact. I think it would take an actual doctor to say if such an impact would be equivalent to "being hit by a car" as some analogies suggest, concerning some of the bodies' indications of such, though without external signs of such bodily abuse.

To me this suggests more likely some sort of very large crushing or constriction of the entire body or the affected area, which would not necessarily leave any direct impressions of striking, but I'd think would still leave indications of some force being applied intensely, so I'm skeptical even a Yeti "bear hug" would really be a possibility. This, especially in light of the fact that it would *definitely* take a doctor to know what effects extreme cold has on injuries, either at time of impact or after (perhaps mostly frozen skin doesn't bruise, etc), and again, this is assuming the reports can be trusted. There were an AWFUL lot of weird supposed paranormal stories and "research" that came out of the Soviet Union (much like the US or any other country, but on a much larger scale), a lot of which is now deemed extremely doubtful at best, and utter incompetence or fraud (or propaganda) at best.

I also don't think Yeti have any traditional reputation of being terribly radioactive, though again that's if you believe the reports, and also if there is any indication that there's reason to believe the body or bodies that did register as radioactive were not *already* radioactive before they went on the hike.

That said, I really enjoy the idea of the Dyatlov mystery (obviously, not that around a dozen people died) and it likely will always be some sort of mystery.

2 people like this

Its not the first time the yeti has been suggested,along with ufos,Soviet super weapons and Siberian natives.I favour the avalanche theory myself

I'm with you on the avalanche theory. It makes the most sense to me.

2 people like this

The Discovery Channel aired their program last night on the Russian Yeti; The Killer Lives.....which they promoted as being an evidence with factual information confirming the existence of the Yeti. I'm surprised no one has commented here. I did watch the program....well most of it.....fell asleep...but recorded some of it on DVR. Anyway, I don't know if the whole thing is a hoax and fabrication for ratings, or if the information presented is factual. It's obvious that certain shows are completely non-factual and presented as authentic. Mermaids...alien autopsy....etc.

First point.....maybe everyone already knows that the Yeti has been identified through DNA testing? It's a bear....or perhaps some type of bear hybrid. link

In any event.....one of the primary pieces of evidence offered is......wait for it.....a blurry photo!!!! But, this photo is supposedly special because it was contained in the camera recovered from the incident, and was one of the last ones taken. There was also a piece of evidence supposedly recovered that claims the students observed the "snowman" - another word for Yeti - and confirms the photo.

Anyway....one of the victims was missing a tongue and eyes. So, an avalanche by itself doesn't account for those, and other injuries sustained in the incident.

1 person likes this

First off, it's not a documentary, it's a MOCKumentary - no different than Mermaids, Megaladon, etc.

Second, I used to have respect for the Discovery Channel.

Hey.....where did you get this information? Can you confirm that the whole thing is a hoax, or is it just a "gut feeling?" If it's true and this thing is a "mockumentary," then I've also lost my respect for the Discovery Channel.

Ph-lease! It was an albino bigfoot not a yeti!

2 people like this

First point.....maybe everyone already knows that the Yeti has been identified through DNA testing? It's a bear....or perhaps some type of bear hybrid. link

It proved that the sample included bear DNA. Unless you had the Yeti in the lab, not sure how you could definitively say that it came from a Yeti and this was it's DNA results.

Watched the show last night. The explorer and translator as well as the experts interviewed are actual people unlike Mermaids where it was credited actors. Most of the dialogue seemed scripted. But I don't think it was a full-blown fictionalization like Mermaids or Megaladon. It was some kind of overly-embellished documentary/mockumentary/B-Movie horror movie hybrid.

There was also a quick disclaimer at the end stating that parts or the show were dramatized. Not sure what that meant. It had recreations of the Dyatlov Incident that it could've been referring to or it could've been referring to 99% of the program.

Also, using one unexplained mystery to solve another unexplained mystery, that's like saying crop circles are caused by the Loch Ness Monster. Which now that I put that out there, I'm sure Discovery will be airing next year.

1 person likes this

Hey.....where did you get this information? Can you confirm that the whole thing is a hoax, or is it just a "gut feeling?" If it's true and this thing is a "mockumentary," then I've also lost my respect for the Discovery Channel.

Isn't it obvious?

Here's are some pretty good write ups on the "documentary":

http://doubtfulnews.com/2014/06/dyatlov-pass-and-mass-murdering-yeti-a-dn-exclusive/

http://www.skepticblog.org/2014/06/01/the-profound-awfulness-of-discoverys-russian-yeti-the-killer-lives/

1 person likes this

I did a paper on this incident years ago. Now granted I never hunted down or talked to living witnesses, but 2 things they showed that were a first and one was the foot prints in the snow. As a matter of fact, one of the claims were that they could not find any other sign of tracks other than those of the students, and the other was the bigfoot photo. But then again this station is also responsible for Megladon and Mermaids.

I did think it was interesting that there was a journal entry to the effect of "From now on we know that snowmen exist." There was also that "yeti" photo. Sure, it was pretty featureless, and you could make the argument that it was most likely a picture of a fellow hiker, but, it seems like a fellow camper off in the treeline would be a pretty unremarkable photo to take.

The avalanche theory is pretty popular, but surely signs of an avalanche would be pretty easy to detect by the original investigators. I believe the lack of this ruling is what has made this story strange and persistent.

Maybe I'm just intrigued by the idea of a yeti pummeling 9 young people to death in some kind of horrible Jack Links jerky commercial gone bad.

1 person likes this

I used to do a great deal of back packing, even in the winter in the Sierras, and the one thing I did find odd was their choice of camp sites. Camping on an open ridge is done when you have too, but just down the hill was wood for fires, trees for wind block. Why would they choose to be on a ridged slope when it wasn't necessary ?

1 person likes this

Isn't it obvious?

Here's are some pretty good write ups on the "documentary":

http://doubtfulnews....a-dn-exclusive/

http://www.skepticbl...e-killer-lives/

It was obvious to me that the some of the photos were fake, indistinguishable, or misidentifications....but the research was presented as factual. They had access to archives and information that they claimed real. This is the height of insults to thinking people to present supposed first hand research as the stuff of fictional movie making. From the links you provided, it's unclear if the photo was in fact part of the original case file.

So yeah, while it is fairly obvious......it just blows that the Discovery Channel would try to pass this off as real. Why not just make a fictional for tv movie and call it that?

I guess the bottom line is that Bigfoot sells....big time.

1 person likes this

Hard to believe that a creature could be hiding in this day and age. but on the other hand there is that dog that keeps popping up around the united states. I dont believe in the bigfoot but the yeti in russia sounds a lot more believeable. here is one of many links to the creature they foung in united states. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/27/phylis-canion_n_3805887.html

Hard to believe that a creature could be hiding in this day and age. but on the other hand there is that dog that keeps popping up around the united states. I dont believe in the bigfoot but the yeti in russia sounds a lot more believeable. here is one of many links to the creature they foung in united states. http://www.huffingto..._n_3805887.html

Not really, you are saying that every part of the Earth has been searched and vistied by humans

I haven't seen the documentary (but seriously, what's happening with Discovery Channel? :( ), and I think the Yeti theory is far fetched. From what's I've read about the incident (which is most of the stuff available online), I think the most probable solution is that they've seen something that they shouldn't, so the government killed them. I'm basing this on the fact that there was a rocket launching site nearby, plus the bodies have had torture marks on them. If you think of it, almost all of the other questions are answered by this.

It's a pity that the autopsy reports are in Russian and not easily available, it would be interesting to read them.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Dr no,, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! lol, it can't be avalanche.

article-2401175-1B6F0D94000005DC-59_634x414.jpg

see tent. see very little snow on tent. NYET to the avalanche!

Other items that "avalanche" could not explain:

1) The bodies had turned an orange color, some were blinded - symptoms of radiation poisoning,

and there was the detection of unusually high radiation in the area. 'Avalanche' cannot account for that.

2) Students tried to start a fire, as they left all their clothes in the tent when they fled for their lives. the gathered branches were still on the ground, uncovered by snow.

3) The tongue was ripped out of one of the women.

4) Investigators said that they saw no tracks - other than the tracks made by the student skiers. No other ski marks, no animal tracks, no vehicle tracks of any kind - something they could NOT say if an avalanche had struck.

Finally, if an avalanche had struck, investigators would have known! Do you think those people are really really stupid? they live there.

Say Uncle...? :yes:

post-124371-0-91265100-1402106062_thumb.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

As others have stated, if searchers and investigators found tracks to the bodies, and the the tent was found destroyed from the inside, it's pretty clear it was no avalanche.

Posted (edited)

Dr no,, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! lol, it can't be avalanche.

article-2401175-1B6F0D94000005DC-59_634x414.jpg

see tent. see very little snow on tent. NYET to the avalanche!

Other items that "avalanche" could not explain:

1) The bodies had turned an orange color, some were blinded - symptoms of radiation poisoning,

and there was the detection of unusually high radiation in the area. 'Avalanche' cannot account for that.

2) Students tried to start a fire, as they left all their clothes in the tent when they fled for their lives. the gathered branches were still on the ground, uncovered by snow.

3) The tongue was ripped out of one of the women.

4) Investigators said that they saw no tracks - other than the tracks made by the student skiers. No other ski marks, no animal tracks, no vehicle tracks of any kind - something they could NOT say if an avalanche had struck.

Finally, if an avalanche had struck, investigators would have known! Do you think those people are really really stupid? they live there.

Say Uncle...? :yes:

1. How can you possibly know they were blinded when no one survived? Also, the bodies were all found between a couple of weeks and two months after they died so it is not hard to imagine that there would be some skin discolouration.

2. How does the students attempting to start a fire disprove an avalanche? They could have done this after the event.

3. The woman who had her tongue "ripped out" was found two months later, it is more than plausible that the tongue was eaten by scavengers.

4. Again, the investigators finding tracks of the students does not disprove an avalanche. It is obvious that the tracks were created afterwards as they left the camp.

It is quite possible for the avalanche to have been on quite a small scale, that may have just hit the tent forcing the students to cut their way out of the tent. After that hypothermia would have set in fast, this would account for the lack of clothing caused by paradoxical undressing.

Edited by grendals_bane
3 people like this

While I'm not saying that the Yeti is real, the only problem with that it could just be a bear is that the Yeti is seen walking on it's hind legs, Bears don't do that. They can stand on their hind legs, and maybe walk for a little, but not like a human, as the Yeti has been seen.

It is quite possible for the avalanche to have been on quite a small scale, that may have just hit the tent forcing the students to cut their way out of the tent. After that hypothermia would have set in fast, this would account for the lack of clothing caused by paradoxical undressing.

But if they just got scared by an avalanche and ran to avoid it, why would they then spend hours freezing in the woods instead of just going back to the camp to get their clothes? And why would they go even deeper into the woods?

The often mentioned "unusually high radiation" was not really there. Only one of the skiers had slightly higher radiation than usual, but she used to work with radioactive materials at the university prior to starting the expedition. So there's nothing weird there.

Also, I don't thing paradoxical undressing is what happens. They found some bodies dressed in the clothes that belonged to others. I would think in trying to get some warmth, the survivors took the clothes from the already dead.

3 people like this

No question that this is a good mystery. I don't lead solidly in any direction except that it was not a yeti.

1 person likes this

I admit it is still a mystery but this is why I favour the avalanche theory.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4108

1 person likes this

Also, I don't thing paradoxical undressing is what happens. They found some bodies dressed in the clothes that belonged to others. I would think in trying to get some warmth, the survivors took the clothes from the already dead.

That is also another possibility or maybe they were given the clothes by others in the group as they may have been struggling more with the conditions.

I still favour the avalanche theory as the most likely though until further information comes to light (if it ever will), as there has been so much added to the story over the years.

1 person likes this