Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists Issued a Statement on E-Cigarettes

rashore

The news: Fifty-three scientists have written to the UN's World Health Organization Director General Margaret Chan cautioning her not to classify e-cigarettes as tobacco products, which would then lead to stricter regulatory controls on the nascent industry.

The scientists say that e-cigarettes are "part of the solution" to worldwide tobacco addiction.

"These products could be among the most significant health innovations of the 21st century — perhaps saving hundreds of millions of lives. The urge to control and suppress them as tobacco products should be resisted," they said.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/90197/the-world-s-top-scientists-just-issued-a-surprising-statement-on-e-cigarettes?utm_source=policymicFB&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=social

I thought this interesting to share.

• Like 5

At 1st I thought the tobacco companies would not like this, but then it seems they will:

Tobacco manufacturers are moving into the manufacture and sale of electronic cigarettes,

http://www.drugfree.org/join-together/tobacco-companies-move-into-e-cigarette-business/

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

The reason tobacco products are regulated is because of their nicotine content - and e-cigarettes are usually smoked with a fluid solution containing nicotine. They are not designed to reduce the psychological dependency of smokers (like patches or gum are), nor are they designed to reduce the physical dependency on nicotine.

While they are not 'tobacco products', they should be regulated as tobacco cigarettes are regulated.

The only non-regulated e-cigarettes should be those which are used to smoke solutions not containing nicotine, and to ensure the regulation of the nicotine-containing solution can be enforced, separate non-compatible/non-convertible models should be developed for nicotine and non-nicotine use.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

What is a bit confusing is this:

Leaked documents demonstrate that the WHO views electronic cigarettes as a "threat" to global health and desires to classify them as regular tobacco products under the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC); 178 countries are party to the agreement, and regulation could threaten some of the $3 billion in worldwide sales posted in 2013. Big Tobacco for once is backing the scientists, insisting the devices allow smokers to have a less-risky alternative. (Major cigarette companies, of course, see e-cigarettes as both a major potential competitor and the future of the industry.)

http://www.policymic.com/articles/90197/the-world-s-top-scientists-just-issued-a-surprising-statement-on-e-cigarettes?utm_source=policymicFB&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=social

Surely the WHO would have had top scientists doing the test for them, to be able to come out with this.

Also about the (Major cigarette companies, of course, see e-cigarettes as both a major potential competitor and the future of the industry.)...not quite according to this:

http://www.drugfree....rette-business/

Edited by freetoroam

Are patches/gums regulated ? They contain nicotine surely ?

In terms of the health risk: Nicotine is classed as the addictive component of regular cigarettes, but are they classified as the primary health risk ? I thought that was particulates in the smoke ?

• Like 2

Are patches/gums regulated ? They contain nicotine surely ?

In terms of the health risk: Nicotine is classed as the addictive component of regular cigarettes, but are they classified as the primary health risk ? I thought that was particulates in the smoke ?

I think you're right about the health risk, but it's the nicotine which gets the smoker physically addicted enough to cause the damage through habitual use.

I have found that switching to an e cigarette has made quiting an actual attainable goal now. It's hard to stop smoking. Really hard. I have been without a regular cigarette for over 2 months now and have even stepped down the amount of nicotine in the fluid I get. I'll be stepping it down again soon and then, with any luck, get off the nicotine entirely. I know several people that have successfully quit in such a manner.

• Like 8

Notice they said the manufacture does not have disclose what is in them. You could be smoking formaldehyde for all you know.

From OP article:

"hard qualitative analysis showed that political, social and economic factors are now major challenges for" tobacco companies. And while these giants would obviously prefer that people keep buying the 6 trillion traditional cigarettes sold worldwide each year, major tobacco companies like Philip Morris see huge survival and growth opportunities in electronic smoking devices.

Whatever keeps you hooked and spending. E-Cigs.....the new cool!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUJ5W2pz1XI

Edited by jugoso

This is all being considered because of greed,no other reason.I have many friends who have switched over and some have completely quit because of these devices.1000's of known chemicals cut down to a few,no second hand smoke,no nasty smell,and overall much cheaper.The ones who wont be collecting all that extra tax cash are the only ones who want these to be put into the same class as cigarettes.

• Like 2

I bought an expensive e-cig when they first came out.. It cost me like around $70 I believe..

It didn't help me do anything, I smoked all of the cartridges that were supposed to last a month in a day and night.. Being an outside smoker, it made it easier to smoke constantly inside.

After the cartridges ran out, I went back to smoking. lol

I plan on quitting, I just doubt anytime soon. Sad.

Notice they said the manufacture does not have disclose what is in them. You could be smoking formaldehyde for all you know.

I was already smoking formaldehyde when I was smoking cigarettes.

I was already smoking formaldehyde when I was smoking cigarettes.

And several 100's of other chemicals,glad these are helping you.Hope ya break the habit,good luck :tu:

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 3

The reason tobacco products are regulated is because of their nicotine content - and e-cigarettes are usually smoked with a fluid solution containing nicotine. They are not designed to reduce the psychological dependency of smokers (like patches or gum are), nor are they designed to reduce the physical dependency on nicotine.

While they are not 'tobacco products', they should be regulated as tobacco cigarettes are regulated.

The only non-regulated e-cigarettes should be those which are used to smoke solutions not containing nicotine, and to ensure the regulation of the nicotine-containing solution can be enforced, separate non-compatible/non-convertible models should be developed for nicotine and non-nicotine use.

I know people that switched to e-cigs and within weeks were using the non- nicotine fluid solution. So they should not necessarily be regulated the same as tobacco products considering the people that I know still use them with the harmless vegetable vapor. (it smells like cupcakes) Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Thats it cupcakes,that is the scent.I kept trying to think of where i knew that smell,i compared it to waffles with a bit of syrup.Good call!

In my personal opinion, and the people who i socially interact with, found e-cig easily addicted. Since vaping may 2013, I vape to the equivalent of 120 (aprox) real cigarettes a day.

to me e-cigs so addicted, its hard to stop vaping

I think it's healthier to not inhale crap into your lungs at all...

• Like 4

If your main goal is to quit and yes you have to have that as your main goal at the moment in time,there are several tools for your goal.Patches,gum,and these devices i know it is not easy hell it down right sucks!But if it is your goal you can do it,i know many go in with the thought that one of these options is some kind of damn miracle.Just like the overweight think there is some kind of silver bullet to make them slim,you have to really want to change.It doesnt happen overnight,but if you really want to quit you will find a way.Best of luck to those who try

I know people that switched to e-cigs and within weeks were using the non- nicotine fluid solution. So they should not necessarily be regulated the same as tobacco products considering the people that I know still use them with the harmless vegetable vapor. (it smells like cupcakes)

I did suggest that models of e-cigs to be used for non-nicotine smoking be unregulated, which is why I also suggested they manufacture two, non-compatible, types of e-cig and fluid cartridges for them.

Of course they aren't tobacco products. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered unhealthy for you. If getting a few drops of the concentrated solution on your tongue can send you to a hospital, then inhaling that liquid in vapor form can't be good for you.

I think you're right about the health risk, but it's the nicotine which gets the smoker physically addicted enough to cause the damage through habitual use.

As a former HEAVY smoker who switched to e-cigs three years ago... I actually don't think the nicotine is very addictive--maybe mildly. My experience tells me otherwise. I used a 12-18mg nicotine solution in my ecigs for a year. That's a pretty high concentration. I STILL went through withdrawals when I quit combustible cigarettes, even with the high concentration of replacement nicotine. I just figured that it just wasn't enough nicotine and gritted my teeth through the process and got over the proverbial hump. Then about a year later I accidentally ordered 0mg solution because I just wasn't paying attention to my online order. It took me THREE weeks to figure out I was no longer using the nicotine and I only noticed because I was wearing reading glasses while filling my cigarettes and noticed .... I didn't miss it, I didn't have any withdrawals.

Personally (and I'm not alone in this school of thought) ... I believe it's all the other crap in cigarettes that are addictive... the head rush from the carbon monoxide, the sugars that are always additives in cigarettes.

If nicotine was super addictive, wouldn't I have noticed that I dropped from 18mg to 0mg cold turkey? Fact is, I didn't even notice.

Contrary to what happened when I stopped drinking coffee unawares while I was in a hospital... THAT I noticed, big time after about 36 hours without. I had a headache SO bad not even the morphine and IV ibuprofen I was on could kill the pain in my head. One 16oz cup of coffee was all the cure I needed. My conclusion is that caffeine is WAY more addictive than nicotine.

Even though I've had no nicotine in my ecigs for almost 2 years now...I'm still hopelessly addicted psychologically. I'm ok with that for now. My health is pretty darn near flawless today (it wasn't before quitting the combustibles) so I have no intentions of dropping my ecigs unless something comes to light that the ecigs are really bad for me. So far, I can't find any evidence than they are bad... I've had nothing but health improvements measured by doctors, and they are significant improvements.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 3

I have found that switching to an e cigarette has made quiting an actual attainable goal now. It's hard to stop smoking. Really hard. I have been without a regular cigarette for over 2 months now and have even stepped down the amount of nicotine in the fluid I get. I'll be stepping it down again soon and then, with any luck, get off the nicotine entirely. I know several people that have successfully quit in such a manner.

good luck bud - it's a tough go for sure

i quit cold turkey 6 months ago

• Like 1

I know exactly what's in mine... the company I buy my liquids from discloses all ingredients and they're made right here in the USA.

• Like 1

good luck bud - it's a tough go for sure

i quit cold turkey 6 months ago

Good luck. I tried just giving it up some years ago after an incident with my heart. Still couldn't do it. This is working for me.

Good job on the 6 months. Keep it up.

I know exactly what's in mine... the company I buy my liquids from discloses all ingredients and they're made right here in the USA.

I also buy from people who disclose ingredients and try to keep them to a minimum. Not a ton of extra additives. There are some good places online.

Good luck. I tried just giving it up some years ago after an incident with my heart. Still couldn't do it. This is working for me.

Good job on the 6 months. Keep it up.

coincidentally i quit after having a heart attack. shortly after i had surgery so for a couple months smoking was not high up on my list. now that i'm feeling better and back to my routine of life it's hard for me to stay away from smoking. i say i never will again, but there are some days i tell ya!
  • Like 1