Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Radar Picks Up Grasshopper Swarm

OverSword

From the article:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Weather officials in Albuquerque say a mysterious presence that showed up on its radar the last few nights has turned out to be of the insect variety.

The National Weather Service says a swarm of grasshoppers were detected over Albuquerque’s West Mesa for the fourth night in a row on Friday.

Meteorologist Chuck Jones says the swarm got caught up in winds heading southwest and is being carried as high as 1,000 feet.

read it here

• Like 1

This is probably why the interstate sales of grasshoppers are prohibited. The things you find out when you have pet reptiles.

This is probably why the interstate sales of grasshoppers are prohibited. The things you find out when you have pet reptiles.

There are some tropical roaches that you can use, though grasshoppers would be a lot less objectionable to the average person, myself included. Most people just buy crickets and mealworms, depending on the reptile.

We have lubber grasshoppers locally, get about 4-5" long, heavily bodied and don't fly, but they feed on toxic plants like Crinum lilies and not much bothers them.

The power of nature yet again produces wondrous moments. Fortunately here in England the biggest 'bugs' we have to worry about are Bumble Bees and 'Daddy Long Legs' lol, a few others too but that is about it.

Here come the Locusts! Next plague.

I'm kind of curious on how big an object has to be for radar to pick up? Sounds like these swarms had to be huge and dense.

The power of nature yet again produces wondrous moments. Fortunately here in England the biggest 'bugs' we have to worry about are Bumble Bees and 'Daddy Long Legs' lol, a few others too but that is about it.

and cockroaches and stag Beetles :D

Well I guess we learned that insects aren't invisible to radar. Who knew?

I'm kind of curious on how big an object has to be for radar to pick up? Sounds like these swarms had to be huge and dense.

Well a swarm can be pretty large right? It's the same thing when we have multiple fighters from, lets say Russia, coming into our air space, but they are flying very close together. The radar sees them as ONE blip.

• 1 month later...

So this leads to flight mh370 flight?!?

• 4 weeks later...