Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth on verge of sixth mass extinction

UM-Bot

Scientists have warned that we may soon be facing one of the largest mass extinctions in Earth's history.

There have been several mass extinctions throughout the ages, each bringing about the demise of a significant percentage of the Earth's plant and animal species.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...mass-extinction

• Like 1

And the greatest single factor that is propelling these extinctions is habitat loss, caused by exponential human population growth.

Here's a full length documentary.

I came, I saw, I wept.

Edited by redhen
  • Like 7

A truly sobering article and one we need to pay attention to I think. Mankind acts like a parasite on this world, we leave nothing but devastation in our wake. If another asteroid doesn't come along and do that job for us I am sure mankind will either slowly destroy everything themselves, or do it instantly by pushing that thermo-nuclear button one day...A sad thought....

• Like 4

We are on the verge of the sixth extinction," said biologist Stuart Pimm who authored the study. "Whether we avoid it or not will depend on our actions."

http://www.unexplain...mass-extinction

Why do these get published when a scientists says it, Mr Pimm could have saved himself the trouble of the study, many of us have been shouting this for many years.

I came, I saw, I wept.

I came, I saw, my fellow man destroyed.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

A truly sobering article and one we need to pay attention to I think. Mankind acts like a parasite on this world, we leave nothing but devastation in our wake. If another asteroid doesn't come along and do that job for us I am sure mankind will either slowly destroy everything themselves, or do it instantly by pushing that thermo-nuclear button one day...A sad thought....

People have not been listening to the warnings before, doubt they will listen now. They will not give up their luxuries, they will not stop breeding like rabbits, they will not stop wanting wanting and wanting more.

• Like 5

I always assumed, in the event of a future mass extinction, it would be in the form of a nuclear war.

[...]

I came, I saw, I wept <...>

Usually crucial part "...sitting on the comfy couch and stuffing chocolate behind both cheeks" gets omitted.
  • Like 1

I thought we were in the middle of the sixth extinction, I remember a show saying the 6th die off started around the time the mega fauna became extinct.

Either way the human race will just speed it up. At the current rate of destruction and population growth, I don't think we have one hundred years left let alone thousands.

• Like 2

Usually crucial part "...sitting on the comfy couch and stuffing chocolate behind both cheeks" gets omitted.

I apologize for not reducing the global human population. There are limits to growth though, despite the rhetoric of politicians, economists and developers. Thomas Malthus has been vilified and pooh-poohed, but he was the one who came up with the concept of carrying capacity, and it's still valid. Human population cannot keep growing indefinitely.

"The earth is finite. Its ability to absorb wastes and destructive effluent is finite. Its ability to provide food and energy is finite. Its ability to provide for growing numbers of people is finite. And we are fast approaching many of the earth's limits."

So says 1,700 of the world's leading scientists, including the majority of Nobel laureates in the sciences,

http://www.ucsusa.or...scientists.html

Edited by redhen
  • Like 2

They are right. It is up to us (mankind). Do we change our ways (population control, abuse of fossil fuels,etc..,)and make this world a better place? Or do we go the way of the Dinosaur? I personally think its the latter.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

I apologize for not reducing the global human population. There are limits to growth though, despite the rhetoric of politicians, economists and developers. Thomas Malthus has been vilified and pooh-poohed, but he was the one who came up with the concept of carrying capacity, and it's still valid. Human population cannot keep growing indefinitely.

"The earth is finite. Its ability to absorb wastes and destructive effluent is finite. Its ability to provide food and energy is finite. Its ability to provide for growing numbers of people is finite. And we are fast approaching many of the earth's limits."

So says 1,700 of the world's leading scientists, including the majority of Nobel laureates in the sciences,

http://www.ucsusa.or...scientists.html

I'd say there are too many people on Earth right now! Let's see, high unemployment, crowded cities, etc. Scifi writers have been predicting this ever since there WAS Scifi. Blade Runner and Total Recall are prime examples. The question we need to answer is "Do we care?" so far obviously not.
  • Like 5

We are all going, some just sooner than others. Party hard- die young- make a good lookin corpse.

We live in a society that watches innocent women and children, get knocked out by larger adults for entertainment. Where youth want fast money, fast cars and to be respected on the streets. This is the hope and future of the world. .

Edited by maximusnow
  • Like 1

As George Carlin said: The Earth will be fine, we're the ones who are *****d. Maybe the Earth just wanted plastic? Now it has plastic ... we can go!

• Like 5

To late to climb down from this, the population overhang, even if we dropped our birthrate to less than 2 makes anything we do futile. There are no humane solutions to this crisis. There is a total lack of will to face the problem head on. It is still taboo to suggest that growth is destructive and that the model of economic production is our own death sentence. The end will come far sooner than we imagine as any exponential growth and depletion curve tells us. Expect the crisis by 2050.

Br Cornelius

Just like a dog with fleas eventually the earth is going to scratch in an attempt to get rid of some of the parasites.

• Like 3

The problem is the "entity" that's causing it won't become extinct.

We are all going, some just sooner than others. Party hard- die young- make a good lookin corpse.

I don't know what type of partying you are doing but people that party hard don't tend to be too attractive. People that abuse substances tend to look like they were rode hard and put up wet.

Just like a dog with fleas eventually the earth is going to scratch in an attempt to get rid of some of the parasites.

I have to agree with this.

• Like 1

The end will come far sooner than we imagine as any exponential growth and depletion curve tells us. Expect the crisis by 2050.

Coincidentally, that's about how much oil reserves we have according to BP.

"The global R/P ratio stands at 52.9 years at the end of 2012 up from 48.3 years a decade ago."

That slight increase is due to the Canadian tar sands exploitation and some "irregular" accounting in Iraq.

7 Billion people on the planet and we keep circumventing Darwinism. Brilliant!

At some point we need to stop all welfare to people who can work and let them live the life they chose.

In the USA we all have access to an education, those who choose to p*** it away can deal with the fallout.

Take that money and ramp up a space exploration program STAT!

Its time to stop throwing money at people whose only accomplishment in life is to pop out a dozen kids to ignore so they can get a bigger chunk of welfare.

Time to worry about the survival of our species and let the people reap what they sow.

To do otherwise ids to condemn all of humanity to keep feeding those who could have fed themselves.

Let the heartless b****** slams begin.....now.

The problem is the "entity" that's causing it won't become extinct.

I wouldn't count on that. We headed for an environmental collapse and food and clean water will become in short supply. I fear for the children.

• Like 2

In a world where only the strong survive young , old, and weak are all gonna go.

Wow, a lot of latent hostility just came bubbling up to the top. I love it when the people who contribute nothing to society ( other than taxes ) get scarred and start with their ignorant, delusional, self-righteous hate-mongering.

I would say with the encroachment of civilization, trying to supply millions of superstitious people with "traditional medicines", poaching, pollution, over-fishing and many other things combined might bring to this happening yes.

Edited by Wickian
  • Like 1

Wow, a lot of latent hostility just came bubbling up to the top. I love it when the people who contribute nothing to society ( other than taxes ) get scarred and start with their ignorant, delusional, self-righteous hate-mongering.

Society got you where you are today, and man will continue to marvel at his achievements and social status right up till the end . :tsu: