Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has ET already dismissed us as unintelligent?

Astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson has suggested that we may already be in a post alien contact era.

"My great fear is that we've in fact been visited by intelligent aliens, but they chose not to make contact, on the conclusion that there's no sign of intelligent life on Earth," he said.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...s-unintelligent

• Like 1

I know I would.

• Like 5

Reminds me of a few occasions on Star Trek: TNG when super advanced alien races would simply laugh at our "primitive" understanding of the universe just when we thought we had it all figured out..

• Like 2

ET's probably like, "look at those dumb sheep, let's wait till dolphins evolve with arms and legs, we'll deal with them instead"

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 4

"My great fear is that we've in fact been visited by intelligent aliens, but they chose not to make contact, on the conclusion that there's no sign of intelligent life on Earth" he said.[/color]]

That is a good point. But then again theres also the fact that we are a semi hostile species depending on which countries airspace you are in. So they may have already tried to make contact with us but we just shot a missile at them instead, and they instead said **** this place, there lose.

Edited by stevemagegod

The suggestions in the article are a possibility IF aliens are out there and have noticed us. But when was the last time we decided not to study a creature because it was not intelligent enough?

We study/interact with many creatures we deem beneath our intelligence, surely a more intelligent race would not miss the opportunity to study and maybe interact with another race as there is always more to learn.

Unless maybe the universe is teeming with life and there are other civilisations that are a lot more intriguing or inviting.

• Like 7

Reminds me of a few occasions on Star Trek: TNG when super advanced alien races would simply laugh at our "primitive" understanding of the universe just when we thought we had it all figured out..

ST-TOS as well. Remember the Metrons? They said hi to Kirk and said you aren't ready. Don't call us. we'll can you. But they did call us "A promising species."

ST-TOS as well. Remember the Metrons? They said hi to Kirk and said you aren't ready. Don't call us. we'll can you. But they did call us "A promising species."

It would've been cool if they showed up in TNG to further the story, did they? I can't recall.

The late ufologist and Roswell debunker Karl T Pflock believed some ufos were alien craft and we had been visited by aliens but they had gone home by the early 70s if not earlier.

Edited by dr no

The suggestions in the article are a possibility IF aliens are out there and have noticed us. But when was the last time we decided not to study a creature because it was not intelligent enough?

If I consider it a bug, I have a tendency to squish it rater than study it. I'm sure we'd be a bug to many ET

We study/interact with many creatures we deem beneath our intelligence, surely a more intelligent race would not miss the opportunity to study and maybe interact with another race as there is always more to learn.

How do we know they aren't? If we have stealth technology why can't they? Makes a lot more sense than all of the radar "sitings"

Unless maybe the universe is teeming with life and there are other civilisations that are a lot more intriguing or inviting.

Remember, if your religious, we're the only game in town!
  • Like 1

We should dismiss ET as unintelligent. After all they came here, didn't they?

• Like 5

It would've been cool if they showed up in TNG to further the story, did they? I can't recall.

No, they didn't. Instead we got "The Q". Which is probably the same race as Tralaine. I can't remember the episode name right now.

No, they didn't. Instead we got "The Q". Which is probably the same race as Tralaine. I can't remember the episode name right now.

Yep, Trelane, Squire of Gothos and all that. It's coming back to me now. Those were good ole days.

How do we know they aren't? If we have stealth technology why can't they? Makes a lot more sense than all of the radar "sitings"

Indeed, true observers do not interact with the environment they observe...

We need some uncouth, heavy footed aliens. ;)

• Like 1

If they could observe all the war, famine, poverty and disease, then maybe not so much as unintelligent....

More....infantile.

• Like 1

I used to think I liked Dr. Tyson, but really I think he's a bit of a douche now. Give me Michio Kaku any day. I like him even less after watching the agenda driven cosmos he hosts. Douchy is a good way of describing that show as well.

• Like 4

I used to think I liked Dr. Tyson, but really I think he's a bit of a douche now. Give me Michio Kaku any day. I like him even less after watching the agenda driven cosmos he hosts. Douchy is a good way of describing that show as well.

Well, it is a FOX program. 'Nuff said!
  • Like 1

I used to think I liked Dr. Tyson, but really I think he's a bit of a douche now.

Agreed. All this screen time is kind of giving him a big head. Douchey or not, he does bring science to the masses in a way we haven't seen since Bill Nye lol

• Like 1

I like him even less after watching the agenda driven cosmos he hosts.

What's his agenda? I haven't watched it.

What's his agenda? I haven't watched it.

They spent half of the first episode (no exaggeration) going on about this medieval monk who had a dream (dream mind you no science involved here at all) that God made an infinite universe that we can never know everything about. after years of inquisition he was finally burned at the stake for maintaining his dream was the truth sent by angels instead of just a dream. So they spent about an hour dis'ing the Catholic church (not that it's not deserved) all for the sake of a man who wasn't a scientist and had not done one scientific thing to prove his statements about the universe. Agenda? Yep. Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

They spent half of the first episode (no exaggeration) going on about this medieval monk who had a dream (dream mind you no science involved here at all) that God made an infinite universe that we can never know everything about. after years of inquisition he was finally burned at the stake for maintaining his dream was the truth sent by angels instead of just a dream. So they spent about an hour dis'ing the Catholic church (not that it's not deserved) all for the sake of a man who wasn't a scientist and had not done one scientific thing to prove his statements about the universe. Agenda? Yep.

Ah, thanks.

Who says they are looking for intelligence? Or man? We are just one of the millions of living things on this planet...

Put the shoe on the other foot, if we found a planet with breathable air, greenery and simple life, would we say "nah, look its crappy boring planet"? No, we'd be celebrating!

Maybe...just maybe, WE are the most intelligent life in the universe. Why must it always be imaginary super advanced comic book aliens?

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

This is what's really stupid about his statement. Lets say we're looking for intelligent life 1000 years from now and come across some people on another world that communicate through farts. Would we decide that these primitive fart talkers were too stupid for us to waste our time on? No of course not. Anthropologists would be lining up and fighting with swords to study these people. Tyson's ego and celebrity is making him think that everything that comes out of his mouth is just how it is.

• Like 1

One thing that always puzzles me.. .Is why most people assume that a spacefaring race is "enlightened" (whatever that means), "pacifistic" and "Evolved beyond war,etc"...

Looking at the evidence all around us on this planet (the sum total of all life that we can observe in the entire Universe), conflict, and struggle are the norm... not just human

conflict - but virtually every living thing is engaged in a life or death struggle every day - animal and plant...

Perhaps this is truly the Universal norm - and we are no more violent, no more of the many "evil things" people say we are - than any other intelligent species...

Perhaps the aliens (if there are indeed any, and if they have indeed visited here) are more concerned about the high level of our intelligence (note I did not say "technology")

our numbers and our species 'energy'...

Or perhaps there is just nothing here worth their time and resources to trade for...

• Like 2

Or perhaps there is just nothing here worth their time and resources to trade for...

Or using even more common sense, they are just not here.

• Like 1