Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

One killed, 3 wounded in Seattle Pacific

docyabut2

SPU isn't too far from my house... I have a dear friend who is a clinical nursing professor there, and another family friend who is a student there. Thankfully, neither were on campus today. Both popped online on Facebook to tell all their friends and family that they were safe.... but neither are doing OK.

I'm so so sick and tired of ALL of this. Is it time for something to be done yet?

I don't think people are killing MORE, i just think that it is reported and sensationalized more.

• Like 3

And before someone blames the fact the shooter was no doubt medicated - and thus it's the medication's fault - consider this ... maybe they stopped taking their pills and the pills are what stopped them flipping out last week.

• Like 1

And before someone blames the fact the shooter was no doubt medicated - and thus it's the medication's fault - consider this ... maybe they stopped taking their pills and the pills are what stopped them flipping out last week.

I am not even sure why you post anymore.

I don't think people are killing MORE, i just think that it is reported and sensationalized more.

If it bleeds it leads. Local TV, especially in the States, make their audiences and hence their money with this sort of reportage. Rarely do you see reporting on the doings of public officials unless it's scandalous in some way.

I can understand though. When I'm in the states I sometimes watch the proceedings of city councils and so on on the special channels some cities have for this. It is boooooooring. Almost as boring as watching a Communist Party Central Committee meeting here.

If you have been voting for politicians who promise to give you goodies at someone else's expense, then you have no right to complain when they take your money and give it to someone else, including themselves

--Thomas Sowell

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 2

As I'm watching the local news here they interviewed his friends and neighbors who said it would have been the last thing they would expect their calm, mellow, soft spoken pal to be capable of and were totally blind sided by this. Then the reporter says if you look at his recent judicial past there was an unmistakable pattern of some one headed to the edge.

So should the authorities have locked him up for his own safety and the safety of others?

The mayor gave a speech with his very diverse city council and gave a short statement and sneaking in hints about gun legislation they will soon attempt to shove down the throats of Seattleites in the near future.

• Like 1

That long history of mental illness is why I think you should have your liscence to own firearms renewed every year and a background check done each time.

If nothing else, it'd create a fair few jobs all across America for people to do those background checks.

• Like 4

Let's face it common courtesy has gone out the window... The way people drive these days is a prime example, they will not use turn signals, most are Rollin stops at best and will cut you off in a heart beat and make eye contact or make a gesture and out come the firearms.. Red lights mean 5 more cars can get thru.. Now school shootings seem to be the norm sad but true...

I like the hero of this saga who stopped the gunman by spraying him with pepper spray and jumping him.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/06/us/seattle-shooting-hero/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I wonder whether there will be restrictions on carrying pepper spray before there are on carrying guns ....

• Like 3

I'd agree we should recognize the Hero who stopped this guy. :nw::clap::tsu:

It is lucky for the gunman that Mr Meis was only carrying pepper spray. But then as a student, there are probably rules preventing carrying anything more deadly on campus.

• Like 2

Good thing for pepper spray. Had it been a gun a deranged chap would be dead.

• Like 1

That long history of mental illness is why I think you should have your liscence to own firearms renewed every year and a background check done each time.

If nothing else, it'd create a fair few jobs all across America for people to do those background checks.

Oh sure, more and bigger government that's the answer. No thanks hat man. That's a joke. How many people in the USA? How many of them go on shooting sprees? It's not often enough to warrant any new legislation we already have something like 20,000 gun laws on the books? If they were going to do background/mental health checks it certainly would not be every year. You don't even need to renew your drivers license that often and cars kill many, man, any more people than guns.
  • Like 1

Good thing for pepper spray. Had it been a gun a deranged chap would be dead.

Ouch! This is a tragedy and one more shot person, even if it were the initial shooter would have made it worse. Mental illness is a terrible thing and those who suffer from it or who have a family member that suffers from it (as I do) have my sympathy. Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

I could get onboard with a judiciously applied screening of mental health. If a person EVER had a committal or if a history of violent acting out was present I could see removing their right to bear arms. The problem is that usually those who do these things have not previously been "on the radar". No one has noticed their behavior except the family. If I see my friend get into his car to drive home and I know he is incapable due to drink then I am responsible if he kills on his way home. The same could be said of families not reporting mental illness.

I say - bring back the funny farms! This will also help the homeless population.

I say - bring back the funny farms! This will also help the homeless population.

I hate to agree with you.