Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Past civilizations

dakota8595

Does anyone else besides me believe that on this earth in the past humans may have been more technologically advanced than we are in modern day but it's been hidden? Just a thought

• Like 1

In my opinion, they were not technically advanced in their time,

but when an ancient civilization dies out, so does everything, and it could take a few hundred years for someone else to recreate what was lost.

To answer the OP... I do not believe any past civilization was more technologically advanced than we are today... There would be very telling evidence of it if there had been, and there is nothing...

Now, could there have been a more culturally advanced civilization than ours?... I just saw a whole slew of articles about the Kardasians... So I'm going to say - Yes, absolutely!...

• Like 9

I just saw a whole slew of articles about the Kardasians... So I'm going to say - Yes, absolutely!...

I didn't know they had visited Earth in the past!

Cardassians.jpg

• Like 3

Nope.

Technology evolves, and it takes resources. You don't just fall out of the trees and invent hi-def television sets. There's millions of little steps that lead to each end result.

For rapid development, you need a large civilization (lots of minds, lots of resources) and a certain mindset. Egypt and Sumeria were among the oldest Bronze Age civilizations with large cities and well organized governments and good trade networks. In contrast, the Native American tribes in North America did not reach this level of technology until fairly late (semi-nomadic, smaller trade networks before 1400 AD.)

Even if you postulate "something other than what we have" you still need large groups and in spite of what the "OMG! HUMANZ WILL VANISH!" tv shows say, a large civilization leaves a lot of traces (modified ground -- cultivated for food, compacted and changed for roads) that can be seen many thousands of years later.

• Like 6

I didn't know they had visited Earth in the past!

Cardassians.jpg

Sorry... meant to write Kardashians.... The others I could deal with...

• Like 3

i watch an episode of electrics etc etc on the discovery channel many years ago..

i cannot remember the name of the episode, but it talks ago how batteries were used in ancient times

perhaps this could be of interest to all...including OP

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_hitech05.htm

• Like 1

i watch an episode of electrics etc etc on the discovery channel many years ago..

i cannot remember the name of the episode, but it talks ago how batteries were used in ancient times

perhaps this could be of interest to all...including OP

http://www.bibliotec...ia_hitech05.htm

I've always found the "Baghdad battery" to be very interesting... I've got mixed feelings about what it's use actually was, but I have not ruled out it's being used

to electro-plate gold onto statues (one of the theories I've read)...

I've always found the "Baghdad battery" to be very interesting... I've got mixed feelings about what it's use actually was, but I have not ruled out it's being used

to electro-plate gold onto statues (one of the theories I've read)...

what the discovery channel pointed out that it can produce electric, whether it is use for the purpose or not, did experiments etc or like you said electro-plate..

one thing remains it was technology from ancient times.

I like to pop a question, where did an invention (anywhere/anytime) from ancient times come from, only to disappear for hundreds of years

wrong, on the amricas there were many civilisations which were technologically advanced as farming, housing etc concerned, they just died out and a new culture developed....and as for the native americans they had a wide trading network and a good health system, they had ways to treat sicknesses and had good systems for food... Most of pharma products originate from tribes north and south.. look it up. So they just lacked in warfare and wartechnology as they had a different mindset about warfare. I wouldnt call them technologically behind from egypth in bronze time or even from europeans in colonialtimes, in many areas they were technologically more advanced in other areas they were behind, but not the societies with the highest technologoy win, the society with the highest warfare experience and wartechnology wins. Also romans and other ancient civilisations had plans for example for steam-engine and proto computers, they just didnt persue them, for they had a good slave system thus there was no need for this kidn of technology and also there was no interest for these kind of things, they were more for entertainment.

In Kreta in the linear alpha culture, they had glass windows and flushing. So there are many examples for technologcally advanced cultures througout history.....Homo sapiens live on earth since a long long time and maybe there were societies which were technologically more advanced then todays society, but personally I think there are more things than technology and this unspoken thing has been forgotten by todays civilisation, this is also going to be its downfall.

Also another thougth, if some technology is that far advanced will today's humans even be able to recognize it when it is right in front of them..

Edited by hellwyr
  • Like 3

Check out the Antikytrhera Mechanism from ancient Greece(100BC). Pretty amazing seeing as the equivalent was not constructed again until 1400s

Wikipedia has a good article on it including modern models of the device.

• Like 1

what the discovery channel pointed out that it can produce electric, whether it is use for the purpose or not, did experiments etc or like you said electro-plate..

one thing remains it was technology from ancient times.

I like to pop a question, where did an invention (anywhere/anytime) from ancient times come from, only to disappear for hundreds of years

It is unlikely that the so-called Baghdad battery was indeed a battery. The suggestion that it was a battery is is based on the idea that it was not used as a reconstruction of its contents suggest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery

The artifacts strongly resemble another type of object with a known purpose – storage vessels for sacred scrolls from nearby Seleucia on the Tigris. Those vessels do not have the outermost clay jar, but are otherwise almost identical.

The electroplating idea is pretty much proven to be wrong as well.

• Like 1

Check out the Antikytrhera Mechanism from ancient Greece(100BC). Pretty amazing seeing as the equivalent was not constructed again until 1400s

Wikipedia has a good article on it including modern models of the device.

The antikythera device of a complicated gearing system was not made in the European world for over a millennium, but the system of gearing was known to the Arabic world. IIRC, complex devices were built there.

• Like 2

wrong, on the amricas there were many civilisations which were technologically advanced as farming, housing etc concerned,

Very few tribes were able to make use of metals in spite of living in areas with a lot of metal (copper, yes... bronze and iron, no.) Although they started mining copper at the same time that Egypt and the other large civilizations did, they worked it with cold hammering techniques and never developed smelting and forging technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallurgy_in_Pre-Columbian_America

-and-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_mining_in_Michigan#Native_American_mining (and other sources)

They didn't develop road technology like the Romans (which allowed them to move goods more efficiently) and didn't develop wheeled carts or large scale farming. Their large monuments (mound builders, cities of the Aztecs and Olmecs) start later than the cities of Egypt or India, etc.

• Like 1

Does anyone else besides me believe that on this earth in the past humans may have been more technologically advanced than we are in modern day but it's been hidden? Just a thought

Back onto the OP.

No. There has never been a previous advanced civilization. Of course, there might be a discussion of what advanced means. But, there has been no previously advanced civilization. Nor has there been something like a previous advanced non-human civilization.

Why do I state that? Well, there would be signs left over. Do we ever find ancient wires, metals, ceramics,plastics, rubbers, or anything else suggestive of an advanced civilization? Do we ever find ancient bones? Of course. Do we ever find ancient bones with evidence of plates or rods or screws holding the bones in place? No dinosaur bones or mammal bones or ancient human bones show signs that artificial knees or hips or materials were used to mend breaks. Ancient papyrus are found and so are cuneiform tablets, but no ancient circuit boards. No ancient glass plates are found. No ancient cabling is found.

But that does not mean the ancients were not adept at using their own technologies. I believe the ancients were smarter at dragging stone blocks than we are today IF we had to rely on ropes and no pullys. Why? Because today we have leveraged all of the inventions of the past and continue to do so today. We do not need to restrict ourselves to technologies of the past. Ancient peoples were as smart as we are today. They just had less information to work from than we do today.

• Like 5

Yes I believe that in remote history there were technologies that defied our own.

• Like 2

Yes I believe that in remote history there were technologies that defied our own.

Is that just wishful thinking or do you have a reason for think that to be the case?

This is something I ponder often...I've basically tried to figure out how it would be possible without there being any evidence other than myths that could suggest such a possibility depending on how they are interpreted (and normally I'm not a fan of interpretation)

I look to our own society and see our increasing drive towards recycling and using biodegradable materials, basically trying to retain our technology while interfering with nature as little as possible. It would be very cool if our own society were able to exist with materials and objects that would naturally biodegradable if not maintained in a matter of a few thousand years. If such a scenario happened in the past, then for whatever reason there was a downfall and minimal survivors, the race would persist but be thrown to a survival situation and eventually the remnants would degrade. You would have to assume that by this point they had undone their prior damage, cleaned up the garbage and whatever.

Another is that when Mars or Venus had water and atmospheres. They were inhabited by a more advanced society that, when their planet was going into a natural or unnatural loss of its ability to support life seeded the earth. This kinda-sorta meshes with some of the bible and Koran.

But these are just trains of thought I entertain, there is no evidence to support the are anything more than interesting stories.

• Like 1

The problem with Venus isn't that it doesn't have an atmosphere. It has far to much of an atmosphere and retains to much heat.

Problem with supposing an ancient super power with modern day or better tech is even if in the future we have amazingly efficient biodegradeble buildings and tools and such, the technology we made to get there would still leave it's mark. Ceramics and plastics are effectively everlasting. The affect on life would be well documented.

• Like 2

There are some things we do not want to degrade such as books, photos, etc. There are permanent records that we want to maintain. We strive today to be better with the materials we use to build structures, our clothes, but do we want to have transportation that constantly needs to be replaced? Look at books being turned into digital formats. Do we want o have to get into t he process of constantly worrying about these digital forms degrading? They do. It is a constant battle to make better storage devices that have a life expectancy more than a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

In a net shell and IMO - Yes! I'm not talking about an Atlantis or an 'advanced' civilization, but a 'developed' civilization like the ones might not be aware of berried under mounds of sand (in the Sahara) or like the cities found off the cost of India/ Japan. With Satellites and their capabilities new sites formations are being found all the time - it wont be long before something else pops up.

History of mankind is lead by finding, who control the release of these finding, do they properly surface, is the Vatican holding back on anything their researchers discover then seal away? What would it mean if mankind is older than first thought, what does it change to society if it was older than first thought so many questions but little to go on than what media is out there - I'm directing more towards a conspiracy, however, it must follow that path 'things' don't add up (to elaborate on that is mind boggling)! :no::alien:

This is something I ponder often...I've basically tried to figure out how it would be possible without there being any evidence other than myths that could suggest such a possibility depending on how they are interpreted (and normally I'm not a fan of interpretation)

I look to our own society and see our increasing drive towards recycling and using biodegradable materials, basically trying to retain our technology while interfering with nature as little as possible. It would be very cool if our own society were able to exist with materials and objects that would naturally biodegradable if not maintained in a matter of a few thousand years. If such a scenario happened in the past, then for whatever reason there was a downfall and minimal survivors, the race would persist but be thrown to a survival situation and eventually the remnants would degrade. You would have to assume that by this point they had undone their prior damage, cleaned up the garbage and whatever.

Another is that when Mars or Venus had water and atmospheres. They were inhabited by a more advanced society that, when their planet was going into a natural or unnatural loss of its ability to support life seeded the earth. This kinda-sorta meshes with some of the bible and Koran.

But these are just trains of thought I entertain, there is no evidence to support the are anything more than interesting stories.

Unfortunately, the biodegradable/recyclable civilization - while a commendable idea to work toward still requires a non-recyclable "pre-civilization"... They could not have

just spontaneously generated an advanced fully recyclable/degradable infrastructure... There would be signs of their earlier tech levels prior to the "dissappearing tech"...

• Like 1

In a net shell and IMO - Yes! I'm not talking about an Atlantis or an 'advanced' civilization, but a 'developed' civilization like the ones might not be aware of berried under mounds of sand (in the Sahara) or like the cities found off the cost of India/ Japan. With Satellites and their capabilities new sites formations are being found all the time - it wont be long before something else pops up.

Unless you are referring to Dwarka, an actual archaeological site that sank due to tectonic action in the late Medeival period, no city has been found off India's coast.

There is no "city" found off the coast of Japan, either.

Harte

• Like 2

Just because we haven't found anything yet, doesn't mean we never will. In fact, it's typical scientific folly to assume that here, today, we have achieved the peak of human knowledge.

We haven't.

I would even venture to say it's arrogant to dismiss this idea so quickly simply because we don't currently have much supporting evidence. If there was a cataclysmic event tomorrow that wiped 99% of us off the planet, how much of our way of life would be there to discover 10,000 years from now? How about just 500 years from now? That vast majority of our knowledge is stored on hard drives - that's a bust. Our slap-together pre-fab houses would disintegrate pretty quickly so there would be no record of what we lived in. Cars, planes, boats...all gone under a giant tidal wave or massive landslide.

I have two major points:

i) Our society is at great risk of being forgotten if a global catastrophe were to happen

ii) It's not hard to understand how an entire civilization could be lost if the world were to flood, if continents were crushed under hundreds of feet of ice, or simply thousands of years of sediment and nature were to reclaim those lands. Really, how much "evidence" would you expect to find? All we are left with are the stories ancient people want us to hear.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 2

Just because we haven't found anything yet, doesn't mean we never will. In fact, it's typical scientific folly to assume that here, today, we have achieved the peak of human knowledge.

We haven't.

I would even venture to say it's arrogant to dismiss this idea so quickly simply because we don't currently have much supporting evidence. If there was a cataclysmic event tomorrow that wiped 99% of us off the planet, how much of our way of life would be there to discover 10,000 years from now? How about just 500 years from now? That vast majority of our knowledge is stored on hard drives - that's a bust. Our slap-together pre-fab houses would disintegrate pretty quickly so there would be no record of what we lived in. Cars, planes, boats...all gone under a giant tidal wave or massive landslide.

I have two major points:

i) Our society is at great risk of being forgotten if a global catastrophe were to happen

ii) It's not hard to understand how an entire civilization could be lost if the world were to flood, if continents were crushed under hundreds of feet of ice, or simply thousands of years of sediment and nature were to reclaim those lands. Really, how much "evidence" would you expect to find? All we are left with are the stories ancient people want us to hear.

Quite a bit actually... There are many - many telltale engineering projects that have altered the terrain in ways that any future civilization would be able to recognize as having been

altered by an intelligent advanced civilization... We have buried untold amounts of garbage that will certainly leave traces for future archaeologists to find and debate...

And yes, a glacier would remove almost all traces... .where it goes... But unless glaciers affect 100% of the Earths land surface, something will survive - somewhere...

Roadways will survive (partially intact) if buried, for an incredibly long time... As will military "hardened sites" such as missile silos, and underground facilities... The Finns have

built a storage facility for nuclear waste that is expected to last for at least 100,000 years... Even if it only lasts for 10% of it's projected life - that is still 10,000 years...

A man created a board game made entirely out of titanium and buried it in the desert for future generations to play... It is expected to last for a very very long time... How long does

titanium last before breaking down?... I don't know but certainly at least 2 or 3 thousand years...

http://www.theverge....e-nevada-desert

The only possible way I could see all traces of us being erased are if the planet itself is severely damaged - such as by a collision with a large astronomical body like the one

theorized to have created our moon... I don't kow what the lower limit on size would be for total "erasure"... but certainly larger than the one thought ot have exterminated the dinosaurs...

And "arrogance" works both ways... perhaps it is arrogant to think that we are not the highest tech civilization in human history (thus far)...

Edited by Taun