Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Islam the religion of peace?

Alan McDougall

I think it's important to draw a differentiation between Islam and Muslims.

Remember that saying from Gandhi "I like your Jesus Christ but not your Christians"? A Muslim is a person who makes a choice, Islam is what's used to justify that choice, not necessarily what drives the choice to being made.

Agreed, and it is this difference between the muslims as to why they murder each other.

They can not live side by side peacefully in their own muslim countries, how the heck are they going to live side by side with other religions in a non muslim country?

More of this maybe?

http://www.theguardi...ntence-apostasy

Or this?

http://www.jihadwatc...frican-republic

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

Those I know are as peaceful and moral as any other person I have met. Those I hear about on the news headlines, don't resemble those I personally know one little bit.

There is alot of anger in the world and alot of hate. As soon as we figure out why people use their anger and hate to make their decisions for them, we can finally have peace, regardless of religion.

The question then begs why remain a Muslim?, is it just that you follow the example of your parents? I think most Muslims, like most Christian don't follow the dogma of their faith to the letter of even know the scripture from which that faith is supposed to give guidance.

One difference I thing about the words of Allah from the Koran, is that Allah always promised things from a negative point of view. Example "Allah does not love those, who do this that or the other?" I struggle to find verses in the Koran, where Allah says outright, without qualification for example "Allah loves those who do this or that"

Correct me if I am wrong?

Edited by Alan McDougall
  • Like 1

Maybe humanity deserves to go extinct. Perhaps we have forfeited our right to exist as an intelligent species.

Sorry no go on that. If I've offended you I don't care.

Honor kilings are cultural. Happens in Islamic countries as well as in other countries like India among Hindud or italy in Sicilly or Albania among christians and muslims alike. Honor killings can be found everywhere and in the west they are known as domestic violance.

• Like 1

What comes across in the media is that Islam is evil. I don't think that it is. I've met a lot of really nice Muslims. IMHO Islam itself is a warrior type of religion. There are bad elements within it that must be tamed though.

I believe that all religions are shackles in which we are slaves to. Either willfully or against our will. Children being indoctrinated since birth. Or through the persistent actions of others. Not all religions are evil but have that potential. It just takes one person with ill intent to ruin a good idea.

Honor kilings are cultural. Happens in Islamic countries as well as in other countries like India among Hindud or italy in Sicilly or Albania among christians and muslims alike. Honor killings can be found everywhere and in the west they are known as domestic violance.

Thank you for bringing up that honor killings are cultural (everywhere). I saw nobody had yet. And Jihad is NOT one of the 5 Pillars of Islam.

Edited by Kasha

Are there any other verses (surah??) that support this position?

Yes, There is a verse in surat (chapter) al baqqara verse 208 recommend believers to call for peace, And the translator of Quran to english translated it to "call for islam" .

The word mentioned in this verse is "silm" which means "peace" and not "islam" as it is translated by many translator of Quran to english.

The verse 208 surat al Baqara : "O you who have believed,enter Islamcompletely[and perfectly] and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. Indeed, he is to you a clear enemy " .

The word in red is badly translated and I don't know why, because the word in arabic is "silm" which means "peace".

Edited by TheLionsHunter

One difference I thing about the words of Allah from the Koran, is that Allah always promised things from a negative point of view. Example "Allah does not love those, who do this that or the other?" I struggle to find verses in the Koran, where Allah says outright, without qualification for example "Allah loves those who do this or that"

Correct me if I am wrong?

I think you are wrong . Do you want an example like this :

Verse 8 surat Al-momtahana :" Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, fromdealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loves those who are just"

Edited by TheLionsHunter

Verse 8 surat Al-momtahana :" Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, fromdealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loves those who are just"

I stand correct, no need for large fonts however.

No system of rules and regulations is a "system of peace". Peace is a phenomenon of behaviour, not a secondary phenomenon of rules/regulation.

Most often, people are peaceful despite the system of rules and regulations they choose to live under, rather than because of that system.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 2

No system of rules and regulations is a "system of peace". Peace is a phenomenon of behaviour, not a secondary phenomenon of rules/regulation.

Most often, people are peaceful despite the system of rules and regulations they choose to live under, rather than because of that system.

Valid point there!

I stand correct, no need for large fonts however.

you stand correct for what reason?

I was trying to make sure that you will see better in large fonts.

I think what you stated must be backed up by valid arguments.

I am sure that islam is a whole range of rules and regulations that are in a way or other fall under an organized system, but that doesn't mean that it does not set these rules and regulations for peace purposes.

[...] IMHO Islam itself is a warrior type of religion.

Mohammed was a warrior and, as such, he didn't found a religion of peace.

Moreover, Islam defines peace in alternate terms of people's eventual either

submission or consequent death.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

Is Islam the religion of peace?

LMAO!!!

I just now saw this and busted out laughing.

• Like 2

I was trying to make sure that you will see better in large fonts.

That was a nonsense idea!

Mohammed was a warrior and, as such, he didn't found a religion of peace.

Mohammed (pbuh) wasn't a warrior, if you are sure about that, can you cite any valid source that says that ?

Moreover, Islam defines peace in alternate terms of people's eventual either

submission or consequent death.

That statement needs a lot of proofs. Can you please cite one ?

That was a nonsense idea!

I was sure that you will post about that and you will dismess the fact that you were wrong.

Mohammed (pbuh) wasn't a warrior, if you are sure about that, can you cite any valid source that says that ?

Can you please provide any valid source first that confirms that Mohammed was a real person?

I think what you stated must be backed up by valid arguments.

I am sure that islam is a whole range of rules and regulations that are in a way or other fall under an organized system, but that doesn't mean that it does not set these rules and regulations for peace purposes.

People do not have to abide by any particular set of rules or regulations to have peace, they simply have to agree to be tolerant and respectful of each other. Thus, it is not the system of rules and regulations which promotes peace, but the behaviour of people regardless of that system.

• Like 2

Can you please provide any valid source first that confirms that Mohammed was a real person?

That was hilarious, it's like saying that " Nostradamus is not a real person" !! we got to know a man that exists by history and what he left behind him, Muhammed left a sacred book to millions of people, he left behind him a set of scholars and leaders that can be proven easily that they did exist. there were christians and jews in the time of Muhammed and they did not believe his religion ( some of them did). This kind of question is so unapropriate because the history says that this man does exist.

That was hilarious, it's like saying that " Nostradamus is not a real person" !! we got to know a man that exists by history and what he left behind him, Muhammed left a sacred book to millions of people, he left behind him a set of scholars and leaders that can be proven easily that they did exist. there were christians and jews in the time of Muhammed and they did not believe his religion ( some of them did). This kind of question is so unapropriate because the history says that this man does exist.

Historical and archaeological evidence please?

I'm sorry but I can't support any religion that punishes women for wanting to learn or drive a car. We need the human race to advance together and we need it now more than ever. We can't advance when there are large groups of people digging in their heels and refusing to accept modern ideas.

• Like 1

People do not have to abide by any particular set of rules or regulations to have peace, they simply have to agree to be tolerant and respectful of each other. Thus, it is not the system of rules and regulations which promotes peace, but the behaviour of people regardless of that system.

That's not necessarily true. Because of the fact that a peace can not survive within a system. The system is what define peace and the system agrees within itself what peace is.

Historically, the system came first and not peace . people tend to build a system and then build a peace agreement abiding under other criteria such as "justice and law".

Peace is just a human concept that can be differ from era to era and from place to place, In nature there is no peace.

I by myself do not accept sacred books as a proof for the existence of a person that is named in these books. In addition, history isn`t a

general guarantor for the reality. For example, up untill the 16th century history has told us that our solar system is geocentric and it isn`t.

That statement needs a lot of proofs. Can you please cite one ?

With my added bold, which is partly underlined for additional emphasis, is the following in regard to Mohammedanism:

"Arabia was then torn by warring factions [...] The power of the tribe [..."of Fihr, or Quarish, to which Mohammed belonged..."] thereby gained such preeminence that it was comparatively easy for [him] to inaugurate his religious reform and his political campaign, which ended with the conquest of all Arabia and the fusion of the numerous Arab tribes into one nation, with one religion, one code, and one sanctuary"

http://www.newadvent...then/10424a.htm

See, too:

Muhammad: The Warrior Prophet

By Richard A. Gabriel

http://www.historyne...ior-prophet.htm

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1