Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 7
UM-Bot

Giant shark eaten by mystery 'sea monster'

113 posts in this topic

Scientists have identified a Great White Shark that was attacked and eaten by something much larger.

The otherwise healthy 2. 7m-long shark was being tracked by researchers who were studying its movements when it experienced a sudden and dramatic temperature rise before inexplicably plummeting 580m in to the depths.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ery-sea-monster

1 person likes this

Megalodon exists!

5 people like this

I think this story is speculation for the "shock factor".

I think there are a number of explainations besides a sea monster.

Maybe the tag was removed by a smaller fish.

3 people like this

Well that's great, when i stopped worrying about bull sharks in the canals in Queensland, Crocs in Cairns,(i work Sydney, Gold Coast and Cairns) box jellyfish, spiders and snakes seemingly everywhere, something off our coast is big enough to eat a great white.

7 people like this

More likely it was just a larger Great White shark or Killer Whale or sperm whales that ate it. Perhaps a Giant or Colossal Squid ate it. Or maybe nothing ate the shark and it just got into a fight with another animal and the animal bit off and swallowed the tracker. It's unlikely that Megalodon is still alive.

7 people like this

perhaps this a promotional way to attract people for a new monster movie

1 person likes this

9 feet long is not a big shark. A larger shark could have killed it. Killer Whales are bigger than Great Whites Sharks and have been seen killing and eating Great Whites.

8 people like this

There seems to be very little data given in the article. Australia is a very big place, but I am guessing somewhere in the Tasman Sea.

The tags are designed to float so could not have been torn off by a smaller fish that decided to dive nearly 600 metres. Bit of a mystery, but I agree, that this could well be hyperbole to promote a new documentary. Time will tell.

1 person likes this

My first thought, like others, was they were tracking the tag not the shark. I think the sudden rise in temperature may mean it was in a digestive tract at that point, but if it plummeted 580m how did it end up on a beach?

I told you all a while ago, Nessie is on tour! (and she has no time for cheeky sharks)

2 people like this

Scientists have identified a Great White Shark that was attacked and eaten by something much larger.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ery-sea-monster

According to info at wikipedia.. a Killer whale seems to be able to do that easily. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_Whale

Killer whales can induce tonic immobility in sharks and rays by holding them upside down, rendering them helpless and incapable of injuring the whale. Some sharks suffocate within about 15 minutes while the whale holds them still, because these sharks need to move to breathe.

In one incident filmed near the Farallon Islands in October 1997, a 4.7–5.3-metre (15–17 ft) female killed a 3–4-metre (9.8–13.1 ft) great white shark,[30] apparently after swimming with it upside-down in her mouth and inducing tonic immobility in it. She and another pod member ate the shark's liver and allowed the rest of the carcass to sink.[103] Interspecific competition between the two species is probable in regions where dietary preferences overlap.[104]

In July 1992, two killer whales attacked, killed and fed on an 8-metre (26 ft) long whale shark,

3 people like this

A smaller fish ate it, the tag fell to the ocean floor in its poop. When the poop become less solid the tag broke free.

I was also thinking another great white did it. After all they actually get much larger than 2.7 meters? 2.7 meters is only a bit over 8 feet and the largest recorded was over 20 feet. (stupid metric system)

1 person likes this

My money is on a larger shark or a killer whale.

No doubt this will be turned into another mockumentary by Animal Planet.

2 people like this

Temperature rise is associated with physical activity and sharks have a remarkably sound immune system so disease is less likely. The attack is plausible.

I'd like to know the depth of the water the shark was taken in.

Nice teaser for the doc!

A " giant" 8' shark??? LOL Sounds like an 'all college, no knowledge' sensationalistic story. Just a snack for a 20 footer or a killer whale.

1 person likes this

Eaten by Cthulhu.

2 people like this

They made a documentary about this last year, it was on ABC, the researchers actually found an orca breeding ground off esperance (if i recall correctly) in the area that this shark went missing.

Heres a link

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/search-for-the-oceans-super-predator/

hmm, sounds like a build up for a documentary on something otherwise rather unimpressive.

"When I was first told about the data that came back from the tag that was on the shark, I was absolutely blown away," said filmmaker Dave Riggs who is involved in a new documentary that is being produced about the mystery.

We're gonna need a bigger boat. (.... a much, much bigger boat).

1 person likes this

The Kraken???

I cant seem to edit my previous post, but anyway it was Bremer bay, on the SW coast of WA not Esperance. The doco doesnt seem to be available on the ABC website anymore. But it'd be out there somewhere.

A Giant squid was one of the theories but they ruled them out as the squid can only eat what will fit through its beak, the transponder was too large to have gotten through. The orca theory seemed the most plausible.