Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

A pair of biscuits which amazingly survived some of the bloodiest battles of the First World War are to go under the hammer.

The bidding at Lockdales auctioneers in Martlesham, near Ipswich, Suffolk, will start at £60, but huge worldwide interest sparked by the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War make a much higher final figure likely.

A soldier, L. B Charles, who fought in the bloody battles of Gallipoli and the Dardanelles in Turkey, brought the biscuits home with him.

http://www.dailymail...or-auction.html

• Like 2

They look like there to modern to be 100 years old.i don't think they made by machine back then.if they are 100 years old its cool

• Like 1

Each one had been preserved for 99 years the article says. Now they are being held, unwrapped in some dudes hand. They can keep them.

• Like 1

A pair of biscuits which amazingly survived some of the bloodiest battles of the First World War are to go under the hammer.

Yup, I reckon a hammer's is what'll be needed! (Speaking as one who has survived Mrs.E's baking exploits!)

• Like 1

Probably still edible... if you soak them for a month or two.

• Like 1

They look like there to modern to be 100 years old.i don't think they made by machine back then.if they are 100 years old its cool

Yep, these things were made to last, in fact there are a few out there older than these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardtack

• Like 2

Yup, I reckon a hammer's is what'll be needed! (Speaking as one who has survived Mrs.E's baking exploits!)

Can we presume that cremation is right out, then? :P

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 1

We might have some biscuits that old in our vending machines at work.

• Like 2

I reckon you must be either mentally disturbed or very easily pleased to go to an auction and return home with a packet of biscuits.

• Like 3

Joking aside, they're not just biscuits though are they? I think it's marvelous that after all these years these biscuits are still around, and whoever wins the auction will hold a piece of history in his/her hand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The bidding at Lockdales auctioneers in Martlesham, near Ipswich, Suffolk, will start at £60, but huge worldwide interest sparked by the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War make a much higher final figure likely.

A soldier, L. B Charles, who fought in the bloody battles of Gallipoli and the Dardanelles in Turkey, brought the biscuits home with him.

http://www.dailymail...or-auction.html

I'm surprised that there are any left. I thought they were all fed to us in the Army back in the 60's.

• Like 1