Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama reflects on gun control's failure

OverSword

yep and about 200k-400k (according to different sources) a year die from medical mistakes.

it is not about preventing deaths. never was.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Wow. So how does Obama use the death of children to further his political agenda? How does his secret evil masterplan benefit from background checks on people who want guns? What are you afraid the background checks will find? Why do you people have so much hate in your hearts that you actually believe our president is incapable of human emotion? It scares me that you want a gun.

• Like 1

It scares me that you want a gun.

than you will live your entire life being scared, cuz guns aren't going anywhere, sux to be you.

• Like 1

How does his secret evil masterplan benefit from background checks on people who want guns?

we already have background checks everytime we buy a gun from a FFL dealer.

• Like 1

Maybe because when a politician starts to speak about sympathy and tragedies it means they want to use it as a weapon to push their agenda. What makes me more appalled then shootings is when politicians try to profit off it, That is why you see the post you do

Obama took a school shooting and tried to use it to push an array of laws and agenda. His "sympathy" is disgusting

I myself was appalled and saddened by the event, as was most of the nation. For our president to express the same sentiment is natural & normal, I think, he spoke for many of us. There is nothing disgusting or manipulative about this, when tragedies occur we expect comment from our president & leaders, whether the incident be hurricanes, tornados, tsunamis, wild fires, air line crashes, etc. I know for some people there isn't anything Obama could do that would be acceptable, for some he's satan incarnate, so I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I'm expressing my view, which is just as valid as yours.

• Like 1

Wow. So how does Obama use the death of children to further his political agenda? How does his secret evil masterplan benefit from background checks on people who want guns? What are you afraid the background checks will find? Why do you people have so much hate in your hearts that you actually believe our president is incapable of human emotion? It scares me that you want a gun.

It's the hate part that concerns me, because it's irrational and leaves no room for other human emotions and extends out to people who hold other points of view. And, yes, like you, those who are able to sustain that level of hate & contempt over such a long period, they are scary, because there's no reasoning with them. And many of them are armed. And some of them are calling for an armed revolution, in which they would happily and righteously participate. And people wonder why domestic terrorists are a matter of concern.

It scares me that you want a gun.

It scares me that you would rather have an unarmed public unable to defend themselves and their loved ones.

Where'd you get that information? I'd like to see the stats. If it's true it's decreasing, I wonder why? Could it be the aging male population, us baby boomers, who have decreased levels of testosterone that often drive violent behavior? Is it declining across all age groups, or just some? All ethnic groups, socio-economic groups, etc? You statement is simple & straightforward, but it leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

That shootings continue to decrease is of little comfort to the families of victims. And we need to figure out how to stop attacks on our school children, the most vulnerable segment of our population, who rely on adults to keep them safe. In this regard, as a nation, we are failing our children.

Here are some good pieces written by Jesse Walker at Reason Magazine. Not only is his analysis good, but he links to many other research pieces that support his conclusions.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/06/11/are-school-homicides-becoming-the-norm

http://reason.com/blog/2012/12/17/are-mass-shootings-becoming-more-common

http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/24/making-sense-of-mass-shooting-statistics

http://reason.com/blog/2013/09/19/why-cant-anyone-agree-how-many-mass-shoo

One of the issues he points out is that are many different definitions of "mass shooting" and much like we saw last week with the school shooting claims of the Bloomberg front groups, one can twist numbers to support their position and it often gets repeated without question in the media. See my related post in this forum section. Frankly, a 45-year-old man committing suicide in a field next to an elementary school in the middle of the night is not by any stretch of the imagination a "school shooting".

I don't really think anything involving mass shootings is funny...but ok...

Right, because that's exactly what I said. SMH

• Like 1

It's the hate part that concerns me, because it's irrational and leaves no room for other human emotions and extends out to people who hold other points of view. And, yes, like you, those who are able to sustain that level of hate & contempt over such a long period, they are scary, because there's no reasoning with them. And many of them are armed. And some of them are calling for an armed revolution, in which they would happily and righteously participate. And people wonder why domestic terrorists are a matter of concern.

how about in the spirit of reducing DUI you give up your driver license?? i mean one less car on the road, 1 less car to crash, everyday 28 people die in usa as a result of dui. dui costs us 132 billion a year.

http://www.madd.org/drunk-driving/about/drunk-driving-statistics.html

how about in the spirit of reducing DUI you give up your driver license?? i mean one less car on the road, 1 less car to crash, everyday 28 people die in usa as a result of dui. dui costs us 132 billion a year.

http://www.madd.org/...statistics.html

Good point. I often hear folks saying "but how can I trust anyone with a gun" but yet we routinely trust our fellow citizens to hurtle past us going 70+ miles per hour in a ton of steel with gallons of highly flammable fuel - hundreds of times a day in fact. Aside from automobiles, we put our lives in the hands of others pretty much every minute of the day and don't even bat an eye to the dangers. But yet, let someone make it known that a firearm is in their vicinity and some folks lose their ****.

• Like 1

It scares me that you would rather have an unarmed public unable to defend themselves and their loved ones.

It scares me that we need a gun to defend ourselves.

What has society come to? What will we become?

• Like 1

Good point. I often hear folks saying "but how can I trust anyone with a gun" but yet we routinely trust our fellow citizens to hurtle past us going 70+ miles per hour in a ton of steel with gallons of highly flammable fuel - hundreds of times a day in fact. Aside from automobiles, we put our lives in the hands of others pretty much every minute of the day and don't even bat an eye to the dangers. But yet, let someone make it known that a firearm is in their vicinity and some folks lose their ****.

Autos aren't guns. Period. How many times must the comparison be brought up??!!

Cars don't matter. What do you do than, take away cars or stop everyone from driving them? The car comparison is useless, dumb, and very old and irrelevant. Stop using it. Please. For the love of God. Please. I'm begging you. Stop using the car comparison. Please.

http://www.madd.org/drunk-driving/about/drunk-driving-statistics.html

Hey guys more people have died of drowning than flying in space!!

Whatttt.....

Edited by andy4

Tale.png

I can understand why Obummer would want to take the guns away from the honest working folk. He's afraid that we will shoot his buddies when they come to rob and kill us!!! It looks like he and his buddies have things going just right for them in Chicago. Now he just wants to bring the "LOVE" to the rest of the country!!!

Edited by TexDanm

Tale.png

I can understand why Obummer would want to take the guns away from the honest working folk. He's afraid that we will shoot his buddies when they come to rob and kill us!!! It looks like he and his buddies have things going just right for them in Chicago.

Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not, but the whole 'no gun stores in Chicago means gun control doesn't work' is the opposite. It means that gun control does work until those with guns ruin it. The pro gunners are digging themselves a big hole with that whole Chicago thing. Keep bringing it up, you unintentionally make yourself look bad every time you do!

Edited by andy4
  • Like 1

He paraded the children of the Sandy Hook shooting( or at least the parents I think) in front of congress to push his bill.... The bill that just happened to be started after the shooting.

If that's not prostituting a tragedy idk what is.

iv never said I hated him or that he is a evil mastermind( you said that), but the political reality is that he tried to milk a tragedy to pass a bill.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

He paraded the children of the Sandy Hook shooting( or at least the parents I think) in front of congress to push his bill.... The bill that just happened to be started after the shooting.

iv never said I hated him or that he is a evil mastermind( you said that), but the political reality is that he tried to milk a tragedy to pass a bill.

Pretty sure he just wanted to show parents that their child could've been the one, you know, trying to get the point across. It was by no means milking a tragedy. You make it sound like he doesn't have children of his own or something. He's a human you know.

Do you get upset when people being up holocaust victims to try and get their point across? Or is that milking a tragedy too?

Edited by andy4
  • Like 1

Cars don't matter. What do you do than, take away cars or stop everyone from driving them? The car comparison is useless, dumb, and very old and irrelevant. Stop using it. Please. For the love of God. Please. I'm begging you. Stop using the car comparison. Please.

When you start caring about car deaths we will.

• Like 1

http://www.madd.org/...statistics.html

Sorry, I'm not getting the analogy.

When you start caring about car deaths we will.

The topic isn't about car deaths, it's about guns. Can we please stay on topic?

• Like 1

As I said earlier, it is tradition for our president to address the nation in the aftermath of a tragedy. Your political "reality" is not shared by everyone. You've made your contempt for Obama very clear through your language.

• Like 1

Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not, but the whole 'no gun stores in Chicago means gun control doesn't work' is the opposite. It means that gun control does work until those with guns ruin it. The pro gunners are digging themselves a big hole with that whole Chicago thing. Keep bringing it up, you unintentionally make yourself look bad every time you do!

Tale.png

I can understand why Obummer would want to take the guns away from the honest working folk. He's afraid that we will shoot his buddies when they come to rob and kill us!!! It looks like he and his buddies have things going just right for them in Chicago. Now he just wants to bring the "LOVE" to the rest of the country!!!

If you can prove that any of your contentions have any basis in fact, I'd love to see it. Can you be more specific about who you think Obama's buddies are? And why they would come to rob and kill us? And who "us" is. Alsowhat are we supposed to infer from the study and it's conclusion? There's an awful lot of innuendo and very little or no substantive facts.

As I said earlier, it is tradition for our president to address the nation in the aftermath of a tragedy. Your political "reality" is not shared by everyone. You've made your contempt for Obama very clear through your language.

Once again I never said I have contempt or hate for Obama, that seems to be you guys. Just because I disagree with someone dosent mean I hate him. You seem to want to label me, that would be the same as me claiming your blinding support Obama just because you agree with one thing he does. If it makes both of you feel better to lable me a "angry obama hater" so that you can ignore my content then go ahead.

As my post states it has none thing to do with him addressing the nation in a speech. It was the timing of his bill and parading kids in front of congress to push his bill. That is using a tragedy to push an agenda. That is what his actions show.

• Like 3

than stop using europe, and nuke comparison.

actually cars is a very good comparison, it showes you really do not give a sht about deaths, you just a loudmouth for gunhatters. guns kill blah.......

cars kill more, doctors kill a lot more, the only reason you care about guns cuz they kill, so anything that kills, by design, intent or anything else, is just as valid to compare.

• Like 1

Once again I never said I have contempt or hate for Obama, that seems to be you guys. Just because I disagree with someone dosent mean I hate him. You seem to want to label me, that would be the same as me claiming your blinding support Obama just because you agree with one thing he does. If it makes both of you feel better to lable me a "angry obama hater" so that you can ignore my content then go ahead.

As my post states it has none thing to do with him addressing the nation in a speech. It was the timing of his bill and parading kids in front of congress to push his bill. That is using a tragedy to push an agenda. That is what his actions show.

I understand you never said you hate Obama. However, you do sound like an "angry Obama hater." Whether this is inadvertent or not I don't know. But the language you use conveys a great contempt and disapproval that you may not intend, this is an FYI for you to maybe consider when engaging in conversation. And again, I think you'll find the majority of people do not see him using these tragedies purely as a way of pushing his agenda; he was simply addressing the nation in times of trouble, as all presidents have historically done.

And again, I think you'll find the majority of people do not see him using these tragedies purely as a way of pushing his agenda;

you think wrong, his cabinet used newtown shooting to promote their gun control agenda, and pretty much anyone with eyes sees that. every article even remotely conected to guns, had a reference to that shooting. for quite a long time, that is just 1 example.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1