Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama reflects on gun control's failure

OverSword

As I said earlier, it is tradition for our president to address the nation in the aftermath of a tragedy. Your political "reality" is not shared by everyone. You've made your contempt for Obama very clear through your language.

Oh no, what Obama did was sickening. Only the willfully blind deny that.

And I have quite a bit of contempt for Obama--just look at his record as POTUS, that seals the deal. But that doesn't mean he should get a pass for milking tragedies like he does.

It scares me that you would rather have an unarmed public unable to defend themselves and their loved ones.

I never said I wanted an unarmed public. I am in support of background checks. I understand the need for automatic weapons and super-size clips for hunting, fishing, driving, and keeping people off your lawn. It's easier to make hamburger out of the obliterated animal/human corpse you plan to eat anyway. The problem is that emotionally unstable people get guns and then leave them lying around so the children they neglect can go to school or the movies and shoot the idiots who aren't packing heat. If you can't pass the background check get a flak jacket and stay out of the way.

I never said I wanted an unarmed public. I am in support of background checks. I understand the need for automatic weapons and super-size clips for hunting, fishing, driving, and keeping people off your lawn. It's easier to make hamburger out of the obliterated animal/human corpse you plan to eat anyway. The problem is that emotionally unstable people get guns and then leave them lying around so the children they neglect can go to school or the movies and shoot the idiots who aren't packing heat. If you can't pass the background check get a flak jacket and stay out of the way.

Well, lucky for you I have pass my background checks, keep my firearms locked away safely until I need to use them, and I don't hunt or fish. And driving is a lot more dangerous than owning firearms.

I completely agree that the unstable should not have them. However, during the meantime--while all of you nice-intentions-people quibble about how to keep blaming guns--don't punish the law-abiding. Breaking something isn't how one fixes something.

Aren't flak jackets illegal for civilian use? Better duck and hide instead. There's crazy people out there.

• Like 1

About to get raped? Just pee your pants, or self-induce vomiting! It's been creatively thunk up by liberal bureaucrats that rapists and urine fetishes have an exceedingly low correlation.

Brought to you by

A Liberal's Survival Guide 101: How To Still Hate Guns And Live To Tell About It

• Like 1

than stop using europe, and nuke comparison.

actually cars is a very good comparison, it showes you really do not give a sht about deaths, you just a loudmouth for gunhatters. guns kill blah.......

cars kill more, doctors kill a lot more, the only reason you care about guns cuz they kill, so anything that kills, by design, intent or anything else, is just as valid to compare.

I don't use those, someone else did. This is a gun topic, not a car, doctor, or peanut allergy death thread. Guns, not anything else.

Again, the topic is about guns.

Guns.

Well, lucky for you I have pass my background checks, keep my firearms locked away safely until I need to use them, and I don't hunt or fish. And driving is a lot more dangerous than owning firearms.

I completely agree that the unstable should not have them. However, during the meantime--while all of you nice-intentions-people quibble about how to keep blaming guns--don't punish the law-abiding. Breaking something isn't how one fixes something.

Herein lies a good point. You keep it locked away, correct? Than if someone breaks into your house and into your room, you will have time to get it out, load it, than confront the other guy with a gun? Sounds like a stretch to me, unless you're David Blaine mixed with Wyatt Earp.

• Like 1

you think wrong, his cabinet used newtown shooting to promote their gun control agenda, and pretty much anyone with eyes sees that. every article even remotely conected to guns, had a reference to that shooting. for quite a long time, that is just 1 example.

Of course you think I'm wrong. Which doesn't automatically make you right. You have your opinion, I have mine, apparently never the twain shall meet.

About to get raped? Just pee your pants, or self-induce vomiting! It's been creatively thunk up by liberal bureaucrats that rapists and urine fetishes have an exceedingly low correlation.

Brought to you by

A Liberal's Survival Guide 101: How To Still Hate Guns And Live To Tell About It

OK, Yamato, please tell me you're joking. It's hard to tell with you. FYI, never owned a gun, my kids had a BB gun until they shot out the neighbors window, never needed a gun, bought some pepper spray which my son thought was a cigarette lighter and almost maced himself trying to light a cig. See? We're dangerous enough with non-lethal weapons. My daughter has a virtual arsenal, but her & her husband never talk about it, never engage in any gun control or advocacy arguments, they're never in anyone's face about it, and are going to get a big dog because of the deterrent factor. Using a weapon would be the very last resort.

Myself, I love firing guns, and used to be a pretty good shot. But when my kids were young, then grandkids came, didn't want any weapons in the house, for safety reasons. I worked with a woman whose 2 sons found Dad's gun, loaded it, and the 10 year old accidentally shot & killed the 9 year old, and I never forgot that. You know what's weird? I just realized I have far more negative memories & connotations of firearms than positive. I personally know at least 5 people who were killed with guns, and none whose lives were saved by them.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 2

He ain't kidding.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/20/justice/colorado-rape-prevention-guidelines/

(CNN) -- A Colorado school has caused a stir with an advisory that suggested women could urinate or vomit to deter a rape.

The list of 10 tips by the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs was billed as "last resort" options to deter a sexual assault.

"Tell your attacker that you have a disease or are menstruating," read one tip.

"Vomiting or urinating may also convince the attacker to leave you alone," read another.

By Tuesday night, the list was taken down and replaced by an explanation and an apology. But it was too late.

The backlash had hit the Internet, and a hashtag on Twitter was created.

• Like 1

My daughter has a virtual arsenal, but her & her husband never talk about it, never engage in any gun control or advocacy arguments, they're never in anyone's face about it, and are going to get a big dog because of the deterrent factor. Using a weapon would be the very last resort.

You've just defined the average gun owner. :tu:

• Like 6

But that doesn't mean he should get a pass for milking tragedies like he does.

How should he have handled the tragedy?

...and by the way. My best friend's wife applied for a gun permit "just to see" if she'd get accepted. She had no problem getting one and she'd been hospitalized (in an institution) twice for nervous breakdowns. Its not a matter of anyone being punished. Its a matter of protecting children and innocent sappy good intentions people who also have rights.

I thought I mentioned this earlier but I didn't. I'm a gun owner. I'm not interested in handing my guns over to the gov't.

Truer words have never been spoken. Maybe the gun nuts will kill themselves.

I see you're from Illinois, how are those restrictive gun laws working in Chicago these days? I know the body count doesn't make the national news like a school shooting, but as you can see, criminals certainly are not deterred by gun laws; they mostly effect the law abiding.

• Like 1

How should he have handled the tragedy?

He should have kept his nose out of it, he should not have paraded children around. All he need do is acknowledge it with a simple statement of support. It's all that is required in his position.

...and by the way. My best friend's wife applied for a gun permit "just to see" if she'd get accepted. She had no problem getting one and she'd been hospitalized (in an institution) twice for nervous breakdowns. Its not a matter of anyone being punished. Its a matter of protecting children and innocent sappy good intentions people who also have rights.

More details please. Did she mention in any formal manner that she's been hospitalized when applying for a "gun permit"? Do her "nervous breakdowns" count as a mental illness?

By the way, around here one doesn't need a "gun permit". All you have to do is pass a background check--which isn't happening if you've got some bad stuff on your background.

So, where are you talking about? Where did this take place, and what are the gun laws there?

Placing more restrictions on me and others like me is punishing US for the sins of others.

• Like 2

If you can prove that any of your contentions have any basis in fact, I'd love to see it. Can you be more specific about who you think Obama's buddies are? And why they would come to rob and kill us? And who "us" is. Alsowhat are we supposed to infer from the study and it's conclusion? There's an awful lot of innuendo and very little or no substantive facts.

It is a constant source of amazement to me how seemingly intelligent people can't grasp sarcasm!!

In Texas we shoot criminals. It is legal to put up a deer stand and shoot thieves and we do it regularly. We allow good honest people to carry a concealed weapon. My preacher has a concealed carry permit and carries. We don't have much in the way of drive by shootings because a fast car still can't out run a bullet. Most of the mass shootings in Texas are on the poor military bases. They are on Federally controlled land and so people are allowed to kill in mass because good people, especially soldiers can't be trusted to carry loaded weapons. If you walk in a school in Texas and start shooting someone will most likely shoot you. It is against the law to have a gun on school property but you know that just doesn't seem to matter to nuts or thugs. As I was told by a police officer one time it is always better to be tried by 12 alive than carried by 6 DEAD. I carry a gun and most people I know do too. Another thing you have to understand is that if a teacher here took out a nut that was shooting kids they would NEVER get a jury to convict so they probably wouldn't even try.

You can still walk your city streets here. I NEVER lock my doors at home and if anyone tries to hurt someone around me they won't live to tell the story.

Edited by TexDanm
  • Like 1

I see you're from Illinois, how are those restrictive gun laws working in Chicago these days? I know the body count doesn't make the national news like a school shooting, but as you can see, criminals certainly are not deterred by gun laws; they mostly effect the law abiding.

They're not working...more ppl were killed in Chicago last yr than US troops in Afg.

All Chicagoans have to do is drive a short distance outside the county, and they can purchase at will, (with clearance).

Carrying a sidearm is one thing, firing it is another. Many areas of NV allow ppl to carry a sidearm on their hip on the streets, BUT in most cities/towns in the US, it's illegal to discharge a weapon.

Edited by scorpiosonic

You just have to overlook some of the anti-gunners on here Tex,one or 2 of them are atleast reasonable with their opinions.A couple of others will damn near break out into hysteric fits if you so much as try to lighten the conversation up a bit."Don't go off topic" they will scream,this is about GUNS!

It's really funny they hate guns so much,yet that is all they can talk or think about....

• Like 4

You just have to overlook some of the anti-gunners on here Tex,one or 2 of them are atleast reasonable with their opinions.A couple of others will damn near break out into hysteric fits if you so much as try to lighten the conversation up a bit."Don't go off topic" they will scream,this is about GUNS!

It's really funny they hate guns so much,yet that is all they can talk or think about....

Let's prevent everything on this list from occurring.

http://www.oddee.com/item_98002.aspx

Here's what I propose.

Ban these killers which are on that list.

1. Beds. Falling out of bed kills 450 people annually in the USA alone. I care about deaths in general, and not only by guns. So beds, good night!

2. Icicles. They kill an average of 100 people a year in Russia, so let's stop people from going outside in Russia during winter. Or we could just export all citizens of Russia during the winter to warmer climates, so no deaths occur. I care about deaths in general and not just by guns, so icicles, you're toast!

3. Vending machines. They kill an average of 13 people per year. We need to get rid of these snack machine monsters so they stop snacking on the hungry people who use them. I care about deaths in general and not only by guns, so vending machines, your money hungry days have run out!

4. Ants. These ravenous flesh eating beasts kill 30 people per year. Let's get on the ball and start dropping tons of ant repellant from firefighting airplanes and trucks as soon as possible! We need to stop these monsters before they take another precious life. I care about deaths in general and not only by guns, so ants, prepare to be Raided!

Another list; http://wnyyradio.com/news/25-shocking-things-more-likely-to-kill-you-than-a-shark/

5. Tripping. Your legs must be removed from your body at once! Stop what you're doing and never stop stopping again! Let's rid the world of those gangly extremities so that 6,000 people per year will be saved. I care about deaths in general and not only by guns, so tripping, you'd better stop doing lsd!

6. Choking. A whopper of 3,000 people die each year from choking on food, perhaps even after eating a whopper. I hereby propose that everyone stop eating!! Never touch food again, because it may be your last swallow. I care about deaths in general and not only by guns, so food, you're no longer buds with my taste buds!

I want to ban all of these to satisfy those who think I only care about gun deaths. The above shows that I clearly do not.

Edited by andy4

They're not working...more ppl were killed in Chicago last yr than US troops in Afg.

All Chicagoans have to do is drive a short distance outside the county, and they can purchase at will, (with clearance).

Carrying a sidearm is one thing, firing it is another. Many areas of NV allow ppl to carry a sidearm on their hip on the streets, BUT in most cities/towns in the US, it's illegal to discharge a weapon.

Yet just a short distance outside the county there is no where near the amount of gun violence. Hmm.

• Like 1

Just to check it out for giggles huh? Sounds totally unbelievable. I hate to call someone a liar but if the shoe fits........

Yeah, I was going with the benefit of the doubt at first, and am still willing to, but....well, we'll just have to see how the responses go to my questions.

In Texas we shoot criminals. It is legal to put up a deer stand and shoot thieves and we do it regularly. We allow good honest people to carry a concealed weapon. My preacher has a concealed carry permit and carries. We don't have much in the way of drive by shootings because a fast car still can't out run a bullet. Most of the mass shootings in Texas are on the poor military bases. They are on Federally controlled land and so people are allowed to kill in mass because good people, especially soldiers can't be trusted to carry loaded weapons. If you walk in a school in Texas and start shooting someone will most likely shoot you. It is against the law to have a gun on school property but you know that just doesn't seem to matter to nuts or thugs. As I was told by a police officer one time it is always better to be tried by 12 alive than carried by 6 DEAD. I carry a gun and most people I know do too. Another thing you have to understand is that if a teacher here took out a nut that was shooting kids they would NEVER get a jury to convict so they probably wouldn't even try.

You can still walk your city streets here. I NEVER lock my doors at home and if anyone tries to hurt someone around me they won't live to tell the story.

Do you wait in that deer stand for deer or people? You've just invented The Human Stand.

it showes you really do not give a sht about deaths, you just a loudmouth for gunhatters.

aztek on June 17th, 9:13 a.m.

I do care aztek, I do. See my above post.

Do you wait in that deer stand for deer or people? You've just invented The Human Stand.

If that is even true, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. To consciously take a human life of someone who you brand a thief without their CONSTITUTIONALLY GUARANTEED RIGHT of due process is as un-American as it gets.

• Like 2