Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama reflects on gun control's failure

OverSword

If that is even true, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. To consciously take a human life of someone who you brand a thief without their CONSTITUTIONALLY GUARANTEED RIGHT of due process is as un-American as it gets.

According to some if they're trespassing you have every right to shoot them. That's breaking the law, and it's not like they could be lost or something.

Shoot then think, you should always make sure your actions happen before you think about them.

Edited by andy4

post-117199-0-97871400-1403135560_thumb.

post-117199-0-95155700-1403135579_thumb.

I get the concept. But to say you set out a tree stand with the sole purpose of killing a human being in my opinion, is murder.

• Like 1

I get the concept. But to say you set out a tree stand with the sole purpose of killing a human being in my opinion, is murder.

It's also premeditated. And yet somehow fully legal...umm according to that guy who said it. If it is legal I would expect that lots of serial killers would reside in Texas. I mean, it's called a deer stand after all mr. officer.

I see you're from Illinois, how are those restrictive gun laws working in Chicago these days?

not restrictive enough by a long shot.

Just a little humor. I know, you don't like jokes.

Yet just a short distance outside the county there is no where near the amount of gun violence. Hmm.

no where near the number of people either.

Ninjadude, would you use a firearm to keep someone from killing your family, if it were available, within reach, and you know it would do the job?

When society encourages abrogation of responsibility for one's own defense, where able-bodied people consider it perfectly normal to go unarmed, it's no surprise that the occasional madman has a field day gunning them down. The easiest way to civilize a population is to teach it cowardness. It's something police states do all over the world. You want to stop massacres? Teach your citizens how to defend themselves. At this point in time, there is absolutely nothing to stop bands of terrorists from crossing our undefended borders and wreaking the kind horror the Chechens commited at that Russian school, the Besian School Massacre.

Edited by hammerclaw

When society encourages abrogation of responsibility for one's own defense, where able-bodied people consider it perfectly normal to go unarmed, it's no surprise that the occasional madman has a field day gunning them down. The easiest way to civilize a population is to teach it cowardness. It's something police states do all over the world. You want to stop massacres? Teach your citizens how to defend themselves. At this point in time, there is absolutely nothing to stop bands of terrorists from crossing our undefended borders and wreaking the kind horror the Chechens commited at that Russian school, the Besian School Massacre.

I'm unarmed, a pacifist in principle, have never had the need for a weapon and am content with the decisions I've made.

Edited by Beany

I thought I mentioned this earlier but I didn't. I'm a gun owner. I'm not interested in handing my guns over to the gov't.

And as an advocate for gun control, I don't think you should have to, nor should the majority of gun owners. I would, however, like to see a little more oversight.

Please keep your comments with the forum guidelines: Be civil and polite to other members at all times. Comments outside the guidelines are subject to moderator behavior.

And as an advocate for gun control, I don't think you should have to, nor should the majority of gun owners. I would, however, like to see a little more oversight.

I do believe that the majority of gun control advocates do not want to take guns away. But my problem with just "a littel more oversight" is that after a while there will be none thing left.

New regulations will be added and then people will see that it hasent effected anything. So then they will want more regulations, and then they see people are still killing each other. Then they want more regulations. And then this cycle just repeats and repeats. Then you get to a point where its not technically illegal but it might as well be.

What oversights are you looking to add?

• Like 1

no where near the number of people either.

So it isnt the availability of guns, but the number of people? Are you really suggesting there is nothing to the fact that criminals know the law abiding are disarmed?

Ninjadude, would you use a firearm to keep someone from killing your family, if it were available, within reach, and you know it would do the job?

Come on, don't back down from this.

Fortunately I don't live in that society.

Are you really suggesting there is nothing to the fact that criminals know the law abiding are disarmed?

less than nothing. I'm not suggesting. I'm stating a fact.

Fortunately I don't live in that society.

Right, you live in a society where there are no criminals, yet you claim to live in Illinois. Good luck with rolling that around as an honest statement.

So, by this "answer" it can be assumed that you wouldn't do what it took to protect yourself and your loved ones. Great to know, you can't be relied on. Wonder how that makes everyone else around you feel about you if they knew about it.

Me, I would do whatever it takes to protect others and myself. If that means grabbing a handgun and shooting, then that's what needs to be done.

• Like 2

I've been to Illinois, wasn't violent at all. And I've also found out that there are other towns there besides Chicago.

Overall nice place, rode my bike all day long around the city and town. Didn't even get shot.

Oh, and after that I even went and shot guns! A .22, a .45, and a .50 caliber rifle with tracer rounds. It was pretty cool, but the state of Illinois sure isn't violent all over. It's pretty big actually.

Overall nice place, rode my bike all day long around the city and town. Didn't even get shot.

Every now and again one of you anti-gun people says something to that effect and nullifies your argument that gun violence is the epidemic you make it out to be.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 2

Every now and again one of you anti-gun people says something to that effect and nullifies your argument that gun violence is the epidemic you make it out to be.

Yeah, it's pretty funny how Illinois coincidentally enough, also has very strict gun laws.

The argument goes both ways. Why the need for a gun for home protection than?

Yeah, it's pretty funny how Illinois coincidentally enough, also has very strict gun laws.

The argument goes both ways. Why the need for a gun for home protection than?

Not sure about the state but Chicago is where the restrictions are. Actually, I read recently that incidents in Chicago have lessened somewhat recently coinciding with the lifting of a few severe restrictions. Anyhow, Illinois, like most states is probably vastly rural and generally safe in most places.

I lived in the hood for a time. I fully understand the need. Even outside the hood stuff happens. It's ultimately insurance for those just incase scenarios that no one is immune to. You know man I don't own a gun either but I don't feel like it's my business to pester someone else about it who does. It's really none of your business who has one and why.

• Like 1

Yeah, gun control failed. Meanwhile, the plan to import Mexican gang members continues.

Edited by regeneratia

I've been to Illinois, wasn't violent at all. And I've also found out that there are other towns there besides Chicago.

Oh, and after that I even went and shot guns! A .22, a .45, and a .50 caliber rifle with tracer rounds. It was pretty cool, but the state of Illinois sure isn't violent all over. It's pretty big actually.

So crime was low, and then you went shooting.

District of Columbia:

Gun Ownership: 3.6%

Gun Murders (per-capita 100,000): 16.5

Wyoming:

Gun Ownership: 59.7%

Gun Murders (per 100,000): 0.9

And lest you think these two states are outliers, you'd be wrong. Gun ownership has as perfect an inverse correlation to gun murders as any values in any data set I've ever seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

Probably doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out, but it does take an honest person to admit it.

• Like 3