Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's oldest man dies aged 111

UM-Bot

Chemist and psychic researcher Alexander Imich passed away at a seniors' residence in Manhattan.

The Polish-born supercentenarian had taken over the title of world's oldest man when Italian Arturo Licata, who was also 111, died on April 24th.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/267573/worlds-oldest-man-has-died-aged-111

• Like 1

And the new oldest man is....(give it a minute and there will be a new one)

• Like 1

To be honest, living to that age is a curse!

He will have lost all his friends and probably outlived his own children!

• Like 5

RIP old man

• Like 3

he never had any children.

Must have seen an few changes in his lifetime.

Not sure I would want to live that long, the changes I am seeing in this lifetime are not worth hanging around for.

• Like 4

I wouldn't mind living to a ripe old age as long as I'm healthy to enjoy it.

• Like 4

I knew a guy who lived to be a 100. After 98 it was more of a living death. Though, my great great grandmother was said to have worked her farm until a 101 when she had a stroke, then lived another 4 years.

IMO nothing good happens much after age 80 or 85 (if you're really healthy).

My grandfather is 90 and he's still pretty active. He still has enough energy to regularly go to sales and rip people off, anyways.

• Like 1

I want to be 25 yrs old again and stay that way for years . I'm 60 now and work hard just to keep my mind intact . ( Some day's failing miserably ) .

• Like 3

We have such a narrow expired by date. Wouldn't it be cool if 200 or 300 hundred years was a posibility. Darn those human genetics, once you're past your breeding age it is all down hill.

• Like 1

I couldn't even imagine living to be 111! I think it would be amazing though, yeah you would see most of your loved ones die, but man, all the things you would see! I would have loved to just sit with him and listen to all the stories he had!

This is sobering, he has seen soo many achievements.

Off topic but, I have the 111 Curse!.....its every where.

We have such a narrow expired by date. Wouldn't it be cool if 200 or 300 hundred years was a posibility. Darn those human genetics, once you're past your breeding age it is all down hill.

According to the Bible Adam lived to something ridiculously as over 900 years old. And even the youngest of them lived up to around 300 years old. Something happened that caused are life span to dwindle.

• Like 2

According to the Bible Adam lived to something ridiculously as over 900 years old. And even the youngest of them lived up to around 300 years old. Something happened that caused are life span to dwindle.

We stopped celebrating our birthday every three months?

• Like 5

Well guys if you live to be a 100 you have it made, because not many people die after that age.

• Like 1

They say if scientists rids all diseases we might gain immortality. No more cryonics by then

Edited by TheGreatBeliever
  • Like 1

he never had any children.

That may have been part of his secret! Lord knows mine have aged me prematurely! Then again my Grandmother turned 100 last November and is still going strong. Besides having to nap frequently and losing sight in one of her eyes a few years ago she is still pretty spry and enjoys life.

I guess if I can still get along at that age and have friends I suppose I'd keep on going if I was able. As my dad said to me a few years ago: "The older I get, the longer I want to live" lol

• Like 2

it's cool to hear of someone reaching that age, but then i think omg i hope i never do!

i have no death wish but i have to admit i'm good to go whenever. i've lived a lot in my 54 years and i'm in no hurry to watch everyone i know drop dead before me

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 1

I'm actually surprised the oldest man in the world was only 111, I thought he'd be around 120 for some reason, since that age group tends to be the age you get when you google world's oldest living people.

To be honest, living to that age is a curse!

He will have lost all his friends and probably outlived his own children!

He never had any children, he says that's one of the reasons he'd lived so long.

I couldn't even imagine living to be 111! I think it would be amazing though, yeah you would see most of your loved ones die, but man, all the things you would see! I would have loved to just sit with him and listen to all the stories he had!

You would see them I suppose, but most of them would be from the seat of whatever care home you were living in while your body struggled to hang on day by day.

Let's face it, someone who is 111 is a biological wreck, you're literally living inside an almost dead body, I've just turned 22 so I suppose it's easy enough for me to talk, but the thought of living inside a body that has been and is slowly, for all intents and purposes, dying, is extremely disturbing and unsettling.

I'm not saying those who would like to live to this age feel differently concerning this next point, but for me, once your family is gone I don't see the point in living further, humans are social creatures afterall, and care home assistants don't quite cut it.

I think there's something to be said for quality of life v simply life, there comes a point where, yes you're still alive, but your body is almost collapsing in on itself, your mind is going, all your family are gone, the very world you knew from your youth is gone, the people are all gone, the entire world' populations that inhabited the world when you were born are all long gone, almost every single one of them. People are very much connected to their eras, I think people forget that extremely old people don't just suffer from the physical side, they also face the mental side of the reality that all the people they once knew, the world they knew, don't exist anymore. I mean I find it weird to think that everyone who was 62 when I was born is now 82 years old, and there was this whole world of 80 years olds who now are mostly gone, I know it's a "well, yeah..." statement, but just thinking about it sounds weird, how in just twenty years the world can lose an entire generation.

That's the curse of man, we are such an intelligent species, such a self aware species, yet we live no longer than a giant tortoise or an orca whale, often even less, we have entire lives to live, discover, and spend with our loved ones, and then we die and it's all wiped away as if it never happened, we don't remember having lived, we don't remember having been born or having had parents, we just cease to be, we could achieve great accomplishments and memories but in the end we all forget they ever happened along with everything else, and the worst part is we are aware of this all our entire lives, aware of the nothingness that awaits us, I find it all extremely depressing but what can you do...

At least other animals can live their lives unaware of the reality of their demise.

I want to be 25 yrs old again and stay that way for years . I'm 60 now and work hard just to keep my mind intact . ( Some day's failing miserably ) .

Is it that difficult? My dad is 72 and I've never felt he had problems keeping his mind intact, he's more active than I am in a lot of ways. About half way through being 21 I was suddenly hit hard with the realisation that this was about as good as it was going to get, or perhaps the years before had already been the best, I don't know, sometimes I wish I was like the other people who never seem to think about these things, they have an easier time of it, but I already wish I was 17 again, I think that was when I made my UM account (I already miss those days), my life in the last 5 years has gotten worse and worse and the prospect of my body and mind decaying, as well as losing my family one day, doesn't exactly give me great logic to soldier on into the decades of who knows what.

I think the thing that really shook me, really gave me a sinking feeling, was realising how quickly the time it took to go from 20 to 22 was, I mean two years when you're 13 years old sounds a lifetime, but the time it took to advance two years of my life at this stage felt like a few months, and I don't lead a busy life that would make time fly, in fact it's the opposite, and I found myself half way through 21 trying to rap my head around the fact that it had really been a year and a half since I turned 20, that it would actually be almost four years since I turned 18, neither of those birthdays seemed that long ago, and my twentieth seemed like just yesterday. I'm well aware they will only seem to speed up even more as I get older.

Well he has clearly lived a full life, think he has missed out though not having kids, as a parent it is always rewarding to watch your kids grow and have them in your life....but as for that being attributed to one of the factors of living so long, I don't buy it personally, if anything your kids inspire you to live longer to spend more time with them, and be part of their lives for as long as possible really, they give you a 'reason to live' if you like.

Other than that, nothing but respect for the old guy, may his god go with with him and may he rest in peace.

• Like 1

I love listening to really old folks stories. Bet this guy could have written a book. At least he had a full life.

• Like 2