Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stalked in the woods

Wakka25

This goes back to when I was about 9 years old. My mother, older brother and I went to a hiking trail located by our grade school. The trail was fairly short it just went up to the top of a hill, made a turn and came back down. We had been on the trail numerous times. We would usually hike the trail and then go to the nearby playground.

As usual, we parked in the lot between the trail and a track. We headed up the trail. The trail had two different shelters for picnics. We would usually stop off an rest at one of them. On this occasional we came up to the shelter and was surprised to see what looked to be an old woman. The person was facing away from the trail. Now it was in the middle of summer, it was hot and sunny and the strange thing was the person was wearing a white jacket and their head was covered with what old women used to wear, it resembled a shower cap. The person acted frail as we passed but I could tell my mother had some kind of bad feeling because we started to move along quickly.

The trail made a loop around and there were a few areas were you could look back and see the shelter. I remember seeing the person watching us as we walked along. We have had another look and whoever it was now coming directly across through the woods. We started running. Luckily it was all downhill and we had good 100 foot head start. We got in the got car and I remember looking back and seen the white from the jacket at the treeline. The person was in pretty good shape to move that fast through the woods. My mom called the police but i'm not sure if they investigated it any further. I always figured it was some guy dressed as an old woman, could have been a rapist. It still gives me the creeps thinking about it.

post-145445-0-60244400-1402543786_thumb.

This shows the secluded location. The tall lights are for a baseball field. The trail came in and out between the four lights at the low part in the hill.

• Like 1

That is creepy.

Do you remember how dense the woods were? Would they have been very difficult to move through?

That was weird. What's the history of the location? I'm starting to wonder if you might've come across a spirit and not a strange man dressed up. The cap itself is curious. Is it one of these?

140fec38e6228bf2fb8ec0c1a7127242.jpg

• Like 1

That would be upsetting. I'm glad your mom called the police. Did you ever go back there to hike again?

Nothing like letting your silly superstitions get in the way of perhaps helping an elderly person who might have had dementia and been in distress.

• Like 1

Wasn't calling the police appropriate for either it being someone in distress or a dangerous person? I trust the mother's instincts. Alone with two kids, I'd opt for clearing out and calling the police.

• Like 2

Wasn't calling the police appropriate for either it being someone in distress or a dangerous person? I trust the mother's instincts. Alone with two kids, I'd opt for clearing out and calling the police.

Unless she was dying or something like that. Call me crazy, but if I see an elderly woman sitting by herself in an isolated area, I'm going to at least ask if she's OK.

And I would certainly hope someone would do that if it were an elderly relative of mine - you know, instead of running scared from the boogie man.

Unless she was dying or something like that. Call me crazy, but if I see an elderly woman sitting by herself in an isolated area, I'm going to at least ask if she's OK.

And I would certainly hope someone would do that if it were an elderly relative of mine - you know, instead of running scared from the boogie man.

This makes me wonder, what if I were ever to get lost in the woods during a camping trip or something. Somehow I injure myself and tear my clothes, perhaps bloody them up somehow. If I did not know my way out of the woods due to being disoriented and saw a family walking near me I would most certainly attempt to catch up to them for help. I could only imagine what they would be thinking if a bloodied up lunatic with ripped clothes was chasing them down.

Of course if you know it is an elderly person in need of help, who wouldn't?

I doubt the mother thought for sure it was an elderly woman in distress. Otherwise, why be afraid and hurry to the car, that makes no sense?

This was told from the 9-year-old's (at the time) assumption and recollection. That someone wearing a cap looked like an old woman because that is what old women wear? Although the person was facing away from the trail.

And possibly was what the mother told the kids to not worry them.

Tell the police, they weren't in cardiac arrest or bleeding to death apparently, to then be able follow quickly after them. The person didn't groan or ask for help. They weren't in danger of freezing to death or getting soaked in the rain.

You are a man. My husband would have talked to the person even if it had been a 20-year-old male.

Me, alone with two young kids, not sure who it was and the individual showing no (immediate) distress, and with a "best to leave now" feeling, would not have. I'd have sought help after my kids were out of there. IF I felt it was a bad situation.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

That is creepy.

Do you remember how dense the woods were? Would they have been very difficult to move through?

It wasn't very dense near the shelters but it would be hard to move very fast through it. As it got closer to the end of the trail it became thicker with more brush.

That was weird. What's the history of the location? I'm starting to wonder if you might've come across a spirit and not a strange man dressed up. The cap itself is curious. Is it one of these?

140fec38e6228bf2fb8ec0c1a7127242.jpg

The only history I know is the grade school there and it's fairly new. No the cap was the plastic kind clear kind much newer than that.

That would be upsetting. I'm glad your mom called the police. Did you ever go back there to hike again?

Yeah, I had school there. We went on the trail several times each school year.

It couldn't have been an old woman because just to get shelter is a pretty steep hill. We had a head start and were running pretty fast, running on a trail and whoever it was keeping pace while running through the brush.

• Like 1

If someone starts running after you in the woods it's best not to wait around and ask questions.

• Like 1

It couldn't have been an old woman because just to get shelter is a pretty steep hill. We had a head start and were running pretty fast, running on a trail and whoever it was keeping pace while running through the brush.

so your mom's instinct was probably right or she saw something that worried or alerted her to think "maybe we should leave here quickly" before the person pursued or seemed to pursue your family

My 1st thoughts were also someone with a mental disorder, possibly an older person with dementia. Could also have been someone on drugs for instance someone on crystal meth. People on crystal meth can look and act scary. So whether is was a paranormal incident of something more down to earth, either way I'd consider giving the place a wide berth if I was you.

• 2 weeks later...

I would usually agree that one should ask if someone needs help and give help if you can. But since this story is of your mother and she had a child with her. I will differ to your mom's motherly instinct when encountering this woman. She sped up and got out of there, telling me she felt something from her instincts and reacted to them. Instinct's always override reason in these cases, especially when your in a vulnerable position away from others like you were. Glad nothing bad happened to you or your mom.

If they needed help, they would have said something to your mother as she passed through. Watching you guys and then chasing would probably mean this person was up to no good.

Rapist/killer in disguise? Someone high on some drug? Could even be an escaped mental patient.

Your mother did the right thing. I don't think it was anything supernatural. Besides, humans are much scarier than any ghosts.