Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do magnetic flips cause mass extinctions ?

UM-Bot

The periodic reversal of the Earth's magnetic field may play a key role in mass extinction events.

There have been many mass extinctions throughout the Earth's history and while their effects are plain to see in the fossil record, scientists have been struggling to fully explain what might be behind these cataclysmic die-offs.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ass-extinctions

• Like 1

I would like to see more information on this one.

I am still inclined to blame most mass extinctions on rapid shifts in weather alone with new diseases (or strains of existing diseases).

Assuming the article is accurate would a 9% drop in oxygen be enough to wipe out 84% of today's animal population?

I would have thought the smaller animals inhabiting today's Earth would fair a little better. I would wonder of the effects on migratory animals though, that was my first thoughts with a magnetic flip.

After reading the article I am more concerned whether this oxygen get naturally replaced or slowly gets stripped a bit more with every flip, well I don't know why I am concerned as I will not be around, but someone might be...

A very good question to ponder. I had never considered it before.

Interesting. My teacher was saying that the magnetic thing is going to flip soon. I wonder what will happen?

How soon is "soon?" Magnetic north is slowly moving toward Russia now, or so I have heard. Does this mean suddenly the pole will be in South America or something? Do we need to prepare for the end in the next few years? Or will I die long before it happens?

Well according to mainstream archeology (hey that's what it is!!) we've lived millions of years before, so it's a good wager we'll be here after this one shift. Might need some sunscreen... this might also be related to why there's not a WWIII yet, if the leaders know this is gonna cull the human population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal

I wonder what our nature looks like after this though...

I could see where perhaps it would mess up migrating birds sense of direction, etc... But really have little effect on much else... I do wonder if our magnetic compasses will still point North, or

if they would point "South" now (at the same magnetically charged pole it does now)...

As the north pole creeps further south it slowly starts to gain momentum as the steepness of the curvature of the earth increases, it will get to a point where at about 15 degrees past the vertical where it will shoot down at high speed and come to an abrupt stop in Antarctica, the abrupt stop will cause the earth to jump out of its natural orbit and start rolling uncontrollably untill it hits something!

As the north pole creeps further south it slowly starts to gain momentum as the steepness of the curvature of the earth increases, it will get to a point where at about 15 degrees past the vertical where it will shoot down at high speed and come to an abrupt stop in Antarctica, the abrupt stop will cause the earth to jump out of its natural orbit and start rolling uncontrollably untill it hits something!

I hope you are being sarcastic as what you said is impossible, and will not happen.

If reversals happen roughly every 500,000 years, and if they cause mass extinctions, why don't we see a mass extinction every 500,000 years? Perhaps some reversals take longer than others, leaving the earth exposed to the solar wind for longer periods of time leading to oxygen depletion, but this would seem to be the exception not the norm.

• Like 2

If I was to grant this hypothesis any basis of validity, it would be that this magnetic flip was only one factor in a cycle that required several other factors to converge in a 'crisis point' scenario. For example, we know the eccentricity of Earth's orbit varies over time - on the order of 420k years or so. If we are to assume some issue with the reduction in the magnetic field strength leading to an increased exposure to solar (and other cosmic) radiation over a period of time, then it would seem to me that if this occurred when Earth's orbit was at maximum eccentricity and the planet would pass much closer to the sun during part of that orbit, then the impact of the exposure to solar radiation would be magnified.

So, we might have a 'crisis scenario' in such an instance. Of course, this is only speculation about a possibility, but if we could show a cycle of mass extinctions then I would bet it would be a combination of such factors which coincide rarely over a long period of time.

• Like 1

The North Pole and the South Pole refer to the axis points on which the Earth Rotates. They are not where the magnetic poles are. The magnetic field moves around all the time but in general has in human history been mostly in Canada and the Southern Indian Ocean. I suspect that if there was a sudden reversal you would have some really weird weather for a while and some seriously confused animal migrations. The movement of the magnetic poles would have no real effect on the axis points or the orbit of the planet.

The last mass extinction was 65 million years ago. If reversals happen about every 500,000 years then things have rocked on pretty well through about 125 reversals without wiping things out so I don't see that as much more of a concern than the 12/21/12 thing.

Bad things happen! They happen pretty often and as our population has grown and we have spread out those bad things become much more costly in human lives. Earthquakes and Volcanoes used to kill thousands. Since people seem to just love to build big cities on fault lines and near volcanoes you can bet that the next big one will kill maybe millions. It is getting hard for a big meteorite to find a place to land that wouldn't have some effect on a lot of people.

People seem to like to fret over little unlikely things and small things. I think that they do it so they don't have to face the real issues and monsters that are out there. The global warming thing is a good example. Yes, it is getting a little warmer right now. The reason is VERY debatable. Just remember that GREENLAND was a lot warmer just a very few centuries ago. The Vikings ran sheep and cattle there for several hundred years. WHATEVER... If people sit on the coast for 50 years and drown because the water rose a foot then THAT is called Evolution in action!

There are REAL things out there! We are GOING to get hit by a BIG rock from space eventually. We are GOING to catch a massive coronal mass ejection that is going to shut down all electrically operated things and throw things into chaos. We are going to have a big Yellowstone sized Super Volcano blow up. We really are past due on that one. There is going to be another plague and it will sweep across the world at the speed of commercial jets. There are going to be periods of wide spread volcanic activity. There will be another ice age. The list goes on and on. The only thing that man could have done or might try to do again is get some of our eggs OFF this rock.

I suspect that life is widespread across the universe. What is rare is that it lasts long enough to evolve to intelligence and then has the drive to DO something before the next disaster starts the cycle all over again. We chose to turn our backs on the only life boat available. Without a growing space program, even if we had a little warning, we couldn't do anything about most of the things that really could get us. We chose "Don't worry! Be Happy!" instead so stop worrying about the things that are most likely not going to happen and if we are not going to commit to trying to do something then stop worrying about the things that WILL happen.

• Like 3

The magnetic flip is totally a Doom Prophesy. All animals that use the magnetic field, like geese, have had this happen a half dozen times since their species became distinct.

If the dinosaurs were wiped out by a magnetic flip, 200 million years ago, and such a flip happens about every 1/2 million years. Then there would have been 400 extinction events since then, and not like four or five. I'm not saying it did not somehow contribute, but it was not the main cause, IMHO.

• Like 1

HaHa, they are seriously clueless. I'm such a genius, I can't believe I was able to figure it out. God abducted all this life (including us) from other planets. Now, the first mistake that scientists are making, is that they are assuming all this life is from here. The second, is that they are also under the belief that this life belongs together. It took me the longest time to realize this, but it wasn't because of the mass extinctions. It was because we seem to have an over abundance of life, yet we are headed for the 6th largest mass extinction. In case you want to know how I figured this out, it's because I realized after much consideration of course, that all planets HAVE to be set up in an ECO balance. It simply wont work any other way.

Hey God wasn't our real creator, he thought he was doing us a favor by giving us all this life, I would have thought it was a good idea too, but you can't do this. You can't pull a single species or add a single species to any given planet, you break the balance. So there, I just solved your problem, and told you something about other planets before we were even capable of visiting them. It simply wont work any other way. However it's taken a hell of a long time to catch up to us. We only realize this because we have the fossil records to prove whats going on.

Scientists will NEVER figure this one out because NO ONE would ever believe that GOD was power hungry alien that abducted us and all this life. But it's true. Even worst is none of the food here is intended for us. You see your home planet would provide YOU with the necessary food you need. So we have been eating food that isn't ours all this time. And look at what it's caused. We have even gone as far that we make artificial food. If you want to see more details about this, you can look at my website, that explains this portion rather well. You have to have an open mind, and while I might seem a little cocky, I have good reason to be.

look http://itsthetooth look .wix. look com/ look intervention

HaHa, they are seriously clueless. I'm such a genius, I can't believe I was able to figure it out. God abducted all this life (including us) from other planets. Now, the first mistake that scientists are making, is that they are assuming all this life is from here. The second, is that they are also under the belief that this life belongs together. It took me the longest time to realize this, but it wasn't because of the mass extinctions. It was because we seem to have an over abundance of life, yet we are headed for the 6th largest mass extinction. In case you want to know how I figured this out, it's because I realized after much consideration of course, that all planets HAVE to be set up in an ECO balance. It simply wont work any other way.

Hey God wasn't our real creator, he thought he was doing us a favor by giving us all this life, I would have thought it was a good idea too, but you can't do this. You can't pull a single species or add a single species to any given planet, you break the balance. So there, I just solved your problem, and told you something about other planets before we were even capable of visiting them. It simply wont work any other way. However it's taken a hell of a long time to catch up to us. We only realize this because we have the fossil records to prove whats going on.

Scientists will NEVER figure this one out because NO ONE would ever believe that GOD was power hungry alien that abducted us and all this life. But it's true. Even worst is none of the food here is intended for us. You see your home planet would provide YOU with the necessary food you need. So we have been eating food that isn't ours all this time. And look at what it's caused. We have even gone as far that we make artificial food. If you want to see more details about this, you can look at my website, that explains this portion rather well. You have to have an open mind, and while I might seem a little cocky, I have good reason to be.

look http://itsthetooth look .wix. look com/ look intervention

Have your meds ran out?

An interesting study.

A lot of the theories around mass extinctions tend to focus on grand cataclysmic collisions with other worldly bodies slamming into the Earth, to be honest with the empirical evidence being as it is they are probably correct to some degree, but there are these more subtle 'organic' reasons too. A shift in the magnetic polarity of the planet, disease outbreak, climatic weather patterns rendering food sources obsolete....so this looks initially to be a likely candidate Although as previous posts have commented a flaw in that hypothesis is that if it happens every 500,000 years, then surely the amount of extinctions should be massive, that is the primary flaw I can see in the argument to my humble observers mind anyway.

Not so say that it COULDN'T cause a mass extinction, but if past events and evidence are anything to go by, it seems like it doesn't always result in mass extinctions, and it is maybe a possible, somewhat rare side effect. Again just a humble observers opinion...

Yea for some reason flips in the earth's magnetic poles don't cause extinctions, at least as best we can tell from the geologic record, and a thousand years or so of leaving the surface unprotected like that by all reasoning should. It's a puzzle.

My feeling is that when it happens it isn't a case of one pole shutting down and then later the other starting up, but that it happens more gradually, with the earths full magnetism always present, but for a thousand years or so (far to short a time to show up in the magnetic record) it jumps all over the place before settling down as a reversal.

• Like 1

I was wondering if a very large highly charged solar flare CME could push it over. Like a north pole on an electromagnet pushing at the side of another on a pivot. -/ I'm thinking of a very near miss and a leaver affect. Sunspots also come in pairs too if I remember right so the other thing I was wondering was if two flares (BIG CME's) firing at the same time, causing two long separate but parallel gas clouds to hit the Earth at the same time. The material then acts as a conduit, the magnetic poles of the Earth suck up the negative and positive particles, that allows a connection to form between the Earth and the Sun O==o, that stalls the generation process like a defibrillator would stop the heart (Don't worry Im not a doctor) and then then the cloud passes on the conduit breaks down, and the generation system restarts. As for the polarity of the new poles that depends on what the Sun's are like at the time. You could end up with what it is now or a pole reversal. My physics isn't too good unfortunately and as a child I used to think the planets were like induction electric motors and turned by forces generated by the Sun.

I could see where perhaps it would mess up migrating birds sense of direction, etc... But really have little effect on much else... I do wonder if our magnetic compasses will still point North, or

if they would point "South" now (at the same magnetically charged pole it does now)...

Or somewhere in between?

It will sure make it tough for those navigating with a compass.... :cry:

Assuming the article is accurate would a 9% drop in oxygen be enough to wipe out 84% of today's animal population?

I would have thought the smaller animals inhabiting today's Earth would fair a little better. I would wonder of the effects on migratory animals though, that was my first thoughts with a magnetic flip.

After reading the article I am more concerned whether this oxygen get naturally replaced or slowly gets stripped a bit more with every flip, well I don't know why I am concerned as I will not be around, but someone might be...

While seeming a small percentage, we are assuming the extinct animals only needed as much oxygen as humans do to survive. Maybe they needed more and couldn't handle the lose easily.

Considering that we get magnetic pole reversals every hundred thousand years or so and that there have only been five or so really massive extinction events, it would seem that something else is needed to turn a pole reversal into an extinction event. Multiple causes?

There's a lot of oxygen tied up in rocks and organic debris. I suspect the earth/ecosystem gradually restores the oxygen level. Or possibly, life just adapts to a new oxygen level.

Doug

• Like 2

Nope, and neither has my understanding for the super natural. Of course this is the same attitude

Have your meds ran out?

that I'm sure scientists will take, and again, as a result, they will NEVER, figure this out. If you read my site, you would see, I PROVE what's happened to us.

You prove this how, I would imagine you're going to use AA in your presentation? I could use some entertainment this morning.

How soon is "soon?" Magnetic north is slowly moving toward Russia now, or so I have heard. Does this mean suddenly the pole will be in South America or something? Do we need to prepare for the end in the next few years? Or will I die long before it happens?

I wonder if the axis tilt of the Earth is also shifting. A few tenths of a degree in either direction would affect the climate, I'd think.

Have your meds ran out?

Did you have proof other wise? Mine is all proven on my site, if you even read it. Or is your response rectally derived. I noticed at the bottom of your reply you have zero belief of the paranormal. Do you know something that the other 4 million people are reporting about, don't know. Or is your response subjective?