Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chess: Once viewed as a dangerous game

Still Waters

Although chess has been played for centuries, it wasn't until the 19th century that the game really took off in Europe and the U.S. Yet not everyone had a favorable view of this crazy new fad. Several critics decried chess as a source of intellectual laziness and anti-social behavior that could even provoke violence.

http://io9.com/chess...iety-1588675766

• Like 3

I've noticed in life that anything and everything can cause fights. I once witnessed two stamp collectors brawling over a book at a jumble sale.

• Like 6

I actually had a man throw a chess piece at me after I beat him (at a ranked tournament.) He was really angry that a woman beat him (as opposed to "better player"... because in his world women couldn't play chess.)

• Like 4

The chess grandmasters of the 70s and 80s all hated one another, did they not?

I can't tell you the last time a played a game of chess but I loved trying to anticipate the next couple of moves. I still have my chess set and think I should dust it off and try to teach my grandson. He will probably beat me in no time, the kids today are so smart and up on everything..

• Like 2

My brother taught me how to play chess when we were kids. I've still got his chess set, wooden figures in a wooden box with a slide off lid to open and close. He wrote his name inside the lid, it has great sentimental value for me as my brother died 40 years ago.

The last time I played chess was when I took part in UM's chess tournament we had a few years ago. I enjoyed that :)

• Like 5

My brother taught me how to play chess when we were kids. I've still got his chess set, wooden figures in a wooden box with a slide off lid to open and close. He wrote his name inside the lid, it has great sentimental value for me as my brother died 40 years ago.

The last time I played chess was when I took part in UM's chess tournament we had a few years ago. I enjoyed that :)

Still Waters my chess is wood also and it is priceless to me it was a Christmas gift from my wife and I hope to pass it on to one of my 4 grand kids...

• Like 3

I see the article drew comparisons between criticism of chess 150 years ago and criticism of roleplaying games 20 years ago.

But Warhammer 40K? Now that's a whole different basket of fish...! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I see the article drew comparisons between criticism of chess 150 years ago and criticism of roleplaying games 20 years ago.

But Warhammer 40K? Now that's a whole different basket of fish...! ;-)

Well of course. Chess and most RPGs are turnbased, but an RTS is not. An RTS game is more like fencing.

Any game can be viewed as dangerous if you put the word Russian in front of it...

• Like 2

One should not play chess. It uses up immense amounts of time that could be better spent doing something else.

One should not play chess. It uses up immense amounts of time that could be better spent doing something else.

Agreed... One should not... But two's okay...

• Like 5

Same thing could be said for almost anything. Don't read books because it takes up time when you could be working over-time.

Don't go to the park because it takes up time when you could be working another job...it goes on and on.

Don't do anything that takes time because all that time belongs to the world of commerce and you should be working all the over-time you can get so when you retire you have lots of money even though your body is shot. What a deal, eh?

• Like 2

"some people thought it caused antisocial behavior or intellectual laziness" From the article

Funny how some things never change. So basically what some people say about video games today is what they said about chess in the past :innocent:

• Like 2

"some people thought it caused antisocial behavior or intellectual laziness" From the article

Funny how some things never change. So basically what some people say about video games today is what they said about chess in the past :innocent:

The older I get the more I see the circle of life... Its all just repetition, just slightly pushing the boundaries a little more with each repetition.

• Like 3

If you enjoy the game then do play.. My god it seems that anything we do these days is wrong. As a race did we forget to enjoy simple pleasures...

• Like 2