Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientist Makes Mutant, Infectious Flu Virus

sean6

Scientist Makes Mutant, Infectious Flu Virus in Lab

Flu experts have made a mutant version of the 1918 “Spanish flu” virus that killed tens of millions of people, sparking a new debate over whether such work is too dangerous.

Yoshihiro Kawaoka of the University of Wisconsin says the experiments are important for helping scientists understand how new pandemics start, and for designing better flu vaccines.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/scientist-makes-mutant-infectious-flu-virus-lab-n128936

• Like 1

Yeah! :clap: Where can I get me some

Mutant Infectious Flu Virus

Try saying that three times real fast!

But seriously, why do they have to reveal discoveries like this in a world where large groups of people wants to kill other large groups of people?

Maybe I watch too many movies...

• Like 2

Despite the precautions around such research, and the backing from other researchers this kind of story does make me worry.

Didn't I Am Legend and 28 Days Later start like this. Some "smart" scientist goes screwing around with stuff and boom were all dead, or dead like.

Yeah, I read a bit about this yesterday, I just shook my head. Then my next immediate thought was hmm, wait a minute...

my bad

Didn't I Am Legend and 28 Days Later start like this. Some "smart" scientist goes screwing around with stuff and boom were all dead, or dead like.

Not sure but the Stand by Steven king did :/

Not sure but the Stand by Steven king did :/

or the MM88 virus from the 1980 Japanese movie ' Virus' I saw it few days ago on youtube. pretty good movie actually. Close to the ' stand' just without god the devil and all that stuff. But ok

Anyways, if scientist can do it then nature or bio terrorists can do it also, so actually its a good thing we are a step ahead. If a new kind of strain pops up somewhere, scientists have first to identify it and isolate, then study it and then create a vaccine; and this take time. Meanwhile millions of people die. If we are a step ahead we know it already (this or a variant) and we can counter it rapidly. So keep up the good work people.

Edited by Mr Supertypo
  • Like 2