Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is so bad about Satan?

JJ50

Satan is suppose to be wholly bad and the Biblical deity wholly good. But the deeds attributed to the 'God of love' are very nasty in the extreme, imo. So what has Satan done so badly wrong in comparison?

• Like 4

He refuses to conform and anyone who refuses to conform gets their name dragged through the mud.

• Like 7

He's a communist! (and has been known to wear a blue dress with green shoes, which is obviously obscene)

• Like 6

Satan is used as an excuse to explain the bad aspects of human behavior as it (satan) is supposed to act as a force of temptation.

• Like 4

He refuses to conform and anyone who refuses to conform gets their name dragged through the mud.

A man of mud.

• Like 1

A man of mud.

Made by another man of mud.

• Like 2

Made by another man of mud.

Nefertiti calls Moses a man of mud in the ten commandments.

Nefertiti calls Moses a man of mud in the ten commandments.

That must be to do with the Red sea, he must of got his sandals pretty muddy while walking through it. I doubt they did not have wellies in them days.

Edited by freetoroam

So far no one has come up with anything bad about him! :no:

How about the Abrahamic god as Satan?

"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the Word of God."

I call him the devil god, the thing that should not be.

• Like 1

So far no one has come up with anything bad about him! :no:

I think you'll find Ryu did.

Satan is used as an excuse to explain the bad aspects of human behavior as it (satan) is supposed to act as a force of temptation.

Have a read of the Wikipedia article on Sata (yeah, I know): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan

Saying Satan is bad is like saying the Joker is bad.

• Like 2

That must be to do with the Red sea, he must of got his sandals pretty muddy while walking through it. I doubt they had wellies in them days.

It was when he lost his honor and became a slave making brick by stomping on mud and straw.

• Like 1

It was when he lost his honor and became a slave making brick by stomping on mud and straw.

Arr, the days before Balfour Beatty were tough.

• Like 1

That must be to do with the Red sea, he must of got his sandals pretty muddy while walking through it. I doubt they did not have wellies in them days.

Thousands of people crossing the Red Sea and no one thought of bringing a map. Thats really bad planning !

• Like 2

Thousands of people crossing the Red Sea and no one thought of bringing a map. Thats really bad planning !

You would have thought they would have asked Noah if they could have borrowed his boat.

• Like 1

The Wikipedia article is quite good, mentioning origins and (as happens to all deities) the changes in how he's perceived and what he's responsible for over time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan

I can recommend the Elaine Pagels book -- she writes well and does pretty thorough research:

Pagels, Elaine. The Origin of Satan: How Christians Demonized Jews, Pagans, and Heretics. Random House LLC, 2011.

• Like 2

Satan has made bad girls, which can be a good thing

• Like 2

OK, if I were to take everythign that I have read from the bible and look at it as pure mythology, then I can see what he did.

The god of the bible is a jealous jealous jealous god. Only he is to be worshiped, revered... adored.

Satan was released by god onto mankind in order to be tool of temptation to us lowly humans, and therefore god would see which human was really worthy of his love. (yes you have to ignore the fact that god supposedly knows alll... this is mythology after all, so you must make allowances for the story).

Perhaps Satan felt grumpiness stir within it for a while, he and his buddies were doing all the darn work. They were slaving about the earth and not the heavens and playing the evil minions of god and instead of being respected for the work they were told to do, everyone hated them as evil, they got no respect at all.. and god of course was just sitting there glorifying himself in the essence of his power and glad he could make pple jump to his bidding...

So Satan did the unforgivable. Satan and his fellow friends decided they should be worshiped to, at the least.. respected and loved for the work THEY did.. they wanted 'recognized'...

And so they made it known to all that god was not doing his work alone, he was using them too! The green eyed monster rose betwixt the two groups.. and has been roaring out since then.

Thats MY take on the tale

• Like 1

I guess becuase he rebelled against God, the bible made him into an evil thing.

People just don't like him because he has these huge horns...

but people like to blame the bad things they do on him

OK, if I were to take everythign that I have read from the bible and look at it as pure mythology, then I can see what he did.

The god of the bible is a jealous jealous jealous god. Only he is to be worshiped, revered... adored.

Satan was released by god onto mankind in order to be tool of temptation to us lowly humans, and therefore god would see which human was really worthy of his love. (yes you have to ignore the fact that god supposedly knows alll... this is mythology after all, so you must make allowances for the story).

Perhaps Satan felt grumpiness stir within it for a while, he and his buddies were doing all the darn work. They were slaving about the earth and not the heavens and playing the evil minions of god and instead of being respected for the work they were told to do, everyone hated them as evil, they got no respect at all.. and god of course was just sitting there glorifying himself in the essence of his power and glad he could make pple jump to his bidding...

So Satan did the unforgivable. Satan and his fellow friends decided they should be worshiped to, at the least.. respected and loved for the work THEY did.. they wanted 'recognized'...

And so they made it known to all that god was not doing his work alone, he was using them too! The green eyed monster rose betwixt the two groups.. and has been roaring out since then.

Thats MY take on the tale

:tu:

The story is good. This might very well be the reason in the mind of the initial storyteller who wrote the draft of the best seller book of all times, or maybe it came out during the revisions.

Satan is suppose to be wholly bad and the Biblical deity wholly good. But the deeds attributed to the 'God of love' are very nasty in the extreme, imo. So what has Satan done so badly wrong in comparison?

This doesn't specifically answer your question but it relates to deeds of God being nasty - there is a nag hammadi text that suggests that "God" is the fallen/evil one and there are higher orders above him. In the text it calls him Samael at one point which I have heard used as one of Satan's names or generals at times.

http://www.nowscape.com/Codex_Nag_Hammadi.htm