Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Were "flying saucers" a media construct?

Rafterman

I was in Lake Elsinore in southern California. There's an airbase nearby(about 3 hours by car), which is why I said it may be some kind of military aircraft, but given how it looked and absolute silence it made at those speeds and altitude I just don't know.

I can't really give a size estimate that would be all that accurate, maybe 3-4 car length from one wing tip to the other.

Thanks for the testimony :tu:

I saw a UFO as a pre-teen that was classic saucer shape, lights and all. No wind, no sound (that I remember) and I was with 2 other people at the time.....

I also was living in Orlando, Fl, about 30 miles inland from NASA, so it very well could of been something they were testing....

But it begs the question, Why would they test a craft in a residential neighborhood with witnesses?

They wouldn't. It was most probably an ET UFO. They do actually exist.

• Like 1

They wouldn't. It was most probably an ET UFO. They do actually exist.

Aliens regularly fly over residential areas to remind people that they do actually exist so people should buy books to learn more about them.

• Like 4

Aliens regularly fly over residential areas to remind people that they do actually exist so people should buy books to learn more about them.

I actually LOL'd over that one! Truth told!
  • Like 3

Yes. The metallic disk-shaped objects sometimes imagined to be seen in our atmosphere are wholly a creation of media and the science fiction genre. I myself "saw" one of these "craft" at a range of about 30 meters for approximately 30 seconds. I even "saw" two human looking beings inside it. However, since i know that "flying saucers" ARE only a media creation... i'm intelligent enough to know that i didn't actually see what i thought i saw... i think?

And, from the FBI, the Roswell UFO was described as a "flying disc" which was hexagonal in shape but that this "flying disc" was suspended "from a ballon by cable." (I'm guessing "ballon" is actually balloon. But they did spell telephonically correct, I suppose.) Anyway, that doesn't sound much like a "recovered" alien spacecraft to me. LOL.

http://vault.fbi.gov...art 1 of 1/view

Of course it also said conversations between RAAF and Wright Field that the FBI were monitoring had not "borne out this belief". Which means they were talking to eachout about something other than a "balloon".

As to whether it was a Media Construct, the Military had already adopted the term "Disc" or " Disk" to refere to the Phenomena before Kenneth Arnold's sighting and that term is synonamous with "Saucer" so the answer would be no.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Once again Arnold wasn't the first person to use the term saucer, .

This just shows me why ufology can't be taken seriously when they can't even get their facts straight.

As to you who doesn't know who, the first person to used the term saucer was, Look up John Martin and then you will find a news article from 1879 using the term. .

:D

Not exactly. He described a balloon the size of a saucer, not that he saw a flying saucer.http://www.ufocasebook.com/denisontexas1878.html :yes: Edited by John Wesley Boyd

At the beginning of the Saucer craze the public was still coping with the advent of nuclear weapons and that for the first time in the history of man, he had the power to wipe himself off the face of the earth. The Cold War and Stalin's Russia acquiring nuclear capability, the Iron Curtain, the Korean war, fallout shelters duck and cover drills, worrying about aliens and little green men must have been like a collective escapist mass fantasy. All-of-the-sudden everyone was seeing something strange in the sky or reading the reports about those who did. I remember as a twelve year old, going out at night before street lights became so bright they blotted out the stars like they do today. Just getting a little away from their wan yellow halos and the stars could still be seen in all their glory. I saw countless shooting stars and lights of passing planes, but not the mysterious craft I dearly wanted to see. The only UFO saw that still puzzles me today was while passing through Cincinnati on the interstate. I pulled over and stopped, downtown and watched a shimmering ribbon of light glide overhead. To this day I can't say what it was.

• Like 1